Forum


Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-31-2017, 09:45 AM
ChemEngineer ChemEngineer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
according to wikipedia, the answer is at least one
The *authority* of Wikipedia is whoever is the last person to edit the passage.
Don't you even know that?

Choose whatever answer you wish. The grammar controls the question very precisely, it seems to me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-31-2017, 11:42 AM
oddcouple oddcouple is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEngineer View Post
It may be old, but you still haven't gotten it.
I most certainly had the correct answer. Only one was going to St. Ives. As I stated, the only one going to St Ives was the asker (or the traveler, if you will). Since you say I didn't, you are trying to add something not asked in the riddle. Either that or you are just angry that I got the right answer immediately.

The gracious thing to do would have been to acknowledge the solution to the problem. And no, it wasn't being flip! I just gave the answer to the puzzle.

If you still insist I didn't get it right, you owe it to us to tell me what I did wrong. Because to me it sounds like you're just pouting.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-31-2017, 01:13 PM
ChemEngineer ChemEngineer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcouple View Post
I most certainly had the correct answer. Only one was going to St. Ives. As I stated, the only one going to St Ives was the asker (or the traveler, if you will). Since you say I didn't, you are trying to add something not asked in the riddle. Either that or you are just angry that I got the right answer immediately.
You are unfamiliar with antecedents and consequents.

IF the riddle simply asked, "How many were going to St. Ives," the answer would be one.
But it does NOT ask that question.
The ANTECEDENT is "Kits, cats, sacks, wives." The CONSEQUENT is "how many (of the antecedents) were going to St. Ives."

Quote:
The gracious thing to do would have been to acknowledge the solution to the problem.
You have the superiority complex that attaches to having many posts in a forum of no consequence. The gracious thing for YOU to do would be acknowledge that a point of view you had not considered ever before in your life is indeed valid. But you're not man enough to do that.


Quote:
If you still insist I didn't get it right, you owe it to us to tell me what I did wrong. Because to me it sounds like you're just pouting.
I insist that you didn't get it right, and I seriously doubt that you will ever admit as much. And I don't pout. I analyze, I reconsider and I admit when I was wrong, unlike you.

It's no big deal but you have blown it all out of proportion due to your seniority complex here at world famous cryptograms.org

Last edited by ChemEngineer : 12-31-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-31-2017, 02:58 PM
oddcouple oddcouple is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 327
Default

So you are saying that the question is asking how many kits, cats, sacks, and wives are going to St. Ives and the answer is zero. Then we face the dilemma of how do we know that the traveler is not a wife, nor is the traveler taking along kits, cats, sacks, or wives. In that case, the question is flawed. The riddle would be unsolvable.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-31-2017, 03:29 PM
ChemEngineer ChemEngineer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcouple View Post
So you are saying that the question is asking how many kits, cats, sacks, and wives are going to St. Ives and the answer is zero. Then we face the dilemma of how do we know that the traveler is not a wife, nor is the traveler taking along kits, cats, sacks, or wives. In that case, the question is flawed. The riddle would be unsolvable.
"You have a truly dizzying intellect." - The Man in Black, in Princess Bride


By now you have had the opportunity to see the very next puzzle about three prisoners, and you have not answered that for a very obvious reason. We can have fun with our minds, but an essential element is cooperation and good will, neither of which you have begun to demonstrate, alas.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-02-2018, 08:03 AM
ChemEngineer ChemEngineer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 31
Default Not a riddle but something interesting

What countries have the same name as their capital?

My favorite begins with the letter "D."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM
ChemEngineer ChemEngineer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 31
Default

What a dull and boring bunch. Four hundred views and virtually no participation.

Andorra, Andorra
San Marino, San Marino
Djibouti, Djibouti

There are others. Try using your minds, huh?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-03-2018, 05:47 PM
GtrZan GtrZan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 19
Default well...

that's because you sir, are a d!ck. and I'm sure you have no doubt been told as much on numerous other forums on this vast wonder-scape known as the world wide web.

As an engineer myself I am embarrassed by the arrogance and general jack-a$$ery you've presented here. I would personally suggest you may want to start over under a fresh moniker and really understand the nature of this site and its regular inhabitants before acting the insufferable buffoon, I think you would find it quite entertaining and inviting, seriously.

...and oddcouple was correct. Good day.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM
ChemEngineer ChemEngineer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrZan View Post
that's because you sir, are a d!ck. and I'm sure you have no doubt been told as much on numerous other forums on this vast wonder-scape known as the world wide web.
DNX HFM DNCD ZJSXCIZ FZ DNX WGX AWS NFD.

Quote:
As an engineer myself I am embarrassed by the arrogance and general jack-a$$ery you've presented here. I would personally suggest you may want to start over under a fresh moniker and really understand the nature of this site and its regular inhabitants before acting the insufferable buffoon, I think you would find it quite entertaining and inviting, seriously.

...and oddcouple was correct. Good day.
TE TX SRA EG LBMO SRA PRE NGR LBMO EG FAGK LGK. - LE CHAT DANS LE CHAPEAU

Sixteen posts since you joined in 2013. You made my point, with hatefulness and condescension so typical of today's angry leftists.

I have seen quite enough of this site, and the fact that you have only posted just over a dozen times before attacking me shows how little you find it "entertaining and inviting." Seriously.

And oddcouple is not made right by your petty pronouncement. Try thinking before you blather.

Post #17: What a dull and boring bunch. Four hundred views and virtually no participation.

Q.E.D.

Last edited by ChemEngineer : 01-03-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 PM
darkyr darkyr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 11
Default

I cannot tell what you are more irritated about: The fact that we are not keen on solving your puzzles and riddles, or the fact that you only have a 50% solve rate with the puzzles we solve. Either way, here is a thought: you should not be so quick to call GtrZan a squeaky fig. Your encoding skills are seriously lacking. Try using more than one seven letter word. It makes for less ambiguity.
Oh, and this is my ninth post, in case you were getting tired of looking up that information.
I do, however, enjoy reading the comments to the quotes after I solve them. I look forward to your insights when you get a chance to solve a few more yourself. Welcome to the site, enjoy your stay, mind the water hazards.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

About Puzzle Baron

The Puzzle Baron family of web sites has served millions and millions of puzzle enthusiasts since its inception in 2006. From cryptograms to acrostics, logic puzzles to drop quotes, patchwords to wordtwist and even sudoku, we run the gamut in word puzzles, printable puzzles and logic games.

Questions or Comments?

The word 'bought' has how many letters in it?