Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpoint View Post
I assume the super fast players are using a simple program that accesses a database of quotes and then fills the blanks with the answer with no human input. It's a bit hard to believe that some people can solve a cryptogram in less than 10 seconds. It's kind of like someone claiming to run a mile in 10 seconds.
you would assume wrong. there are folks on this site who are really fast, and the database they access is their own brain. the longer you play here, the more puzzles you will remember, and you will get better at recognizing word patterns. I doubt a simple program would be as fast as these players.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:20 PM

I am so tired of new players who assume....wrongly...that fast solve times can only be acquired by cheating. Bansai, for one, has some videos on utube that show quite clearly that he's just inhumanly fast at solving. I've been here long enough to know that our other really fast folks are equally innocent of "cheating".
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM

Default youtube helps

i'm sure it gets tiresome when you've been around for a while and know, personally, that these folks aren't cheating--however, i think it's natural to doubt...i had the same suspicions when i first started a few years ago, so i completely understand.
here's the link to a forum thread where some folks posted youtube links of themselves solving with some very fast times--it's far easier to believe once you've seen it!
http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/sho...hlight=youtube
Old 02-07-2015, 12:38 AM

wvwoman, I thank you for posting that link! If I knew how to find it I would have done so myself....unfortunately, I'm an old idiot when it comes to computer tools! I hope some of the new folks will take a look at it....maybe that link should be posted once a month?? !!!
Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Default well--

i could put it on my calendar...
Old 02-07-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryhnd51 View Post
I am so tired of new players who assume....wrongly...that fast solve times can only be acquired by cheating. Bansai, for one, has some videos on utube that show quite clearly that he's just inhumanly fast at solving. I've been here long enough to know that our other really fast folks are equally innocent of "cheating".
And you should see him fold laundry!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:56 AM

Default do you type so fast?

Like WV, when I first started here several years ago, I was truly amazed at the speed of some folks here. can still remember asking myself "how is it even possible to solve a puzzle so quickly? I can't imagine ever being that fast...". But millions of points later, I have become better at recognizing patterns and recalling many of the quotes I have seen.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM

Default I'm new....

I'm amazed at the highest scores. Like several others, I just thought that there are people a WHOLE lot smarter and more widely read than I am. It's a humbling experience, but I find this very interesting.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Welcome aboard! Everyone was new here once. Some just have a bigger head start than others. Keep practicing, and you'll improve. Everyone does.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 AM

Default thank you!

I appreciate the encouragement...but I'm still no threat here. Don't think I'll ever be so. But it is so much fun! And I'm proud when I complete a cryptogram.