Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default Quote rating system

Hi folks -

It's no secret the old rating system for quotes (the 1-10 scale determining whether they were funny, thought-provoking, clever, offensive, etc.) was clunky and confusing to just about everyone. So I've ditched the old method in favor of a new, and hopefully simpler, one.

I've settled on 8 categories for now: funny, sad, inspirational, thought-provoking, clever, confusing, stupid and offensive. If there are other categories you feel are frequently seen on the site but not represented here, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Some others that are under consideration include "Suggestive" (for R-rated quotes), and "Political" (I know some users would prefer to skip categories like these). But I also don't want to overload the system with so many options that it becomes just as confusing as it was before.

Thanks!
Stephen
Old 07-21-2018, 01:41 PM

How about Frustrating? Doesn't necessarily mean difficult. Mainly for Alexander Pope quotes and that one with 'st at the end of one word. There are also some that don't really make sense, even after you've read them a few times.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:45 PM

I love, love, LOVE all the great changes you've made Stephen! Kudos to you
Old 07-22-2018, 04:04 AM

I'm not a fan of emoticons, but I can see how a lot of people will like them.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:24 AM

I vote against adding Suggestive and Political. Political is different from Funny or Clever. Anything that has to do with how nations, for instance, operate is political. A quote that extols the innate common sense of the working class and a quote that claims the masses are ignorant boors are both political, so there is not much point in labeling them as such. It's more meaningful to label them inspiring or offensive if you want to capture people's reactions.
Suggestive is similar. Off-color jokes can be either offensive or funny depending on your personal attitude and reaction. Labeling something Suggestive doesn't tell me what other people thought of the quote; labeling it Funny or Offensive does.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 AM

In answer to Lurker, one might click on Confusing for a quote that doesn't make sense after it's solved, and an Alexander Pope quote could be rated high on the difficulty rating without having a Frustrating category. Although I can definitely see your point!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:16 AM

Default ?

are we going to see results (totals) of the emoticons categories? i haven't seen any yet.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:00 AM

I suggest another category - "Bad grammar". I've seen many quotes that look like the output of "Google translate". I find them very difficult to solve, because while solving I rely on a certain structure that the quote must follow according to the rules of grammar.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 AM

I'd like to see one to report an error in the quote.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvwoman View Post
are we going to see results (totals) of the emoticons categories? i haven't seen any yet.
Yes! I'm working on a way to display the votes in a meaningful/unobtrusive way, but it will take a while before there's enough votes to make it possible. In the two days since the feature was launched we've received votes on only about 1.6% of our puzzle database - so it will take a good couple of months before we have enough data to play around with.