Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Ancestry

For me, it's Scots-Irish, Irish, Scottish, Swiss, German, English, Welsh, and French, as best I've been able to trace it
Old 02-20-2018, 02:38 AM

I think I'm too chicken to do a DNA type test, wvwoman. It's bad enough there's so much information on the internet about us, and I'm not willing to share something far more personal like DNA. Cluck! Cluck!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:39 AM

Wow, Maradnu, that's quite the mix!
Old 02-20-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeon View Post
I think I'm too chicken to do a DNA type test, wvwoman. It's bad enough there's so much information on the internet about us, and I'm not willing to share something far more personal like DNA. Cluck! Cluck!
i'm not sure if i'd do the dna thing--i was just thinking of the genealogy aspect.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 AM

Smile Spellbinder44

Way back in 2008, I was playing on a Scrabble-like site with the domain name.ro ( Romania ).
I " bound spellings " while playing Scrabble.
Hence, I decided on SpellBinder.
It has nothing to do with magic or casting spells, (un)fortunately.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 AM

Default i think you have a point, writeon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeon View Post
i had never thought of this, but dr. oz is featuring this topic on his show today. things like what happens to your sample after it's tested (no--they don't discard it!), who owns it, who can get the results (yes, it can be accessed by insurance companies and law enforcement), how can it be used, etc.

they suggested: be sure lab is in the united states. request that your sample be destroyed, though this doesn't mean it will be. be sure to check the "opt out" box on the paperwork--though it only covers a portion of the problems.

ugh.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM

On the other hand, if the findings lead you to pursue medical genetic testing, it's going to be on the record anyway. I miraculously came up negative for all of the cancer predispositions for my racial makeup, but am keeping the results in a research database for future use. A little spit to advance medical science.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:30 AM

Default Uh, no thanks...

Maybe I'm paranoid, but if someone has your DNA, they can use it against you. What would the same people who steal your identity do with the very core of your physical body? What would the government do with it? I'd rather hand down medical history by word of mouth, or deal with it as issues arise. If you're predisposed with cancer, there's not much you can do to prevent it. I think by promoting your health and well-being at every level (physical, mental, emotional, psychological and even spiritual) to begin with, most illness can be prevented, even the serious ones.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:20 PM

They call me "Tooltime" at work, so you can probably figure out where my screen name for this site comes from.