Forum

Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 AM

maradnu, so you are not even partly Jewish? Sorry if I'm being too personal, but you mentioned that you know Hebrew, so I was curious.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Occasional Ranter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkiesRule View Post
maradnu, so you are not even partly Jewish? Sorry if I'm being too personal, but you mentioned that you know Hebrew, so I was curious.

The DNA test tells what parts of the world your genes come from, but I doubt any DNA test can tell your religion. There have been substantial Jewish communities in a few of the countries that maradnu mentioned -- Germany, Scotland and France are three that I'm sure about. My family is Jewish and my ancestors came from the Ukraine and Scotland. I have good friends, a retired couple in the Philly suburbs, who both were born and raised in Scotland and both are from Jewish families; she is from Glasgow and he grew up in the Shetland Islands.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Default Yorkies

I am Jewish by choice. I don't know if I have any distant Jewish ancestors, but seem not to have any recent ones. I am Yaakov Ben Avraham Avinu and my Jewish name makes it clear I am Jewish by choice, not ancestry.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:54 AM

many years ago, a friend and i decided that we needed nicknames so we became badbob and super sal (we were kids) the names stuck as did the friendship we were close for over fifty years until he passed away from ALS i still miss him
Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 PM

Default my name

well, my name is Gabe and my middle name starts with an r and my last name starts with a g. The 21 is my birthday which is May 21
Old 11-22-2018, 02:24 AM

Default maradnu

maradnu, that's really cool! You know that people who converted to Judaism by choice, without having any ulterior motives, are considered even more Jewish than the people who were born Jewish, because conscious choice is more important than what you are born as, which you have no control over.