View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Occasional Ranter

Default Such a great community of players

I LOVE this thread!! Players helping each other understand the quote by way of the history of a single word, in the context of its translation date and its use in modern musical theater, and then connecting the whole thing back to an ancient reference by Plutarch. What a great crowd.
--------------------------------

"I choose the likely man in preference to the rich man. I want a man without money rather than money without a man." Themistocles

kb83 on October 8th, 2014
"likely"? Is this really the best translation? I had lively, and.although I did not like it either, only the error message forced me to change it to likely, and that was right, much to my surprise.

skoogie2 on November 25th, 2014
me too, kb, me too

caa on February 4th, 2015
Webster says: likely : seeming to be right or suited for a purpose Sounds right to me.

judy100 on February 12th, 2015
It's likely to be right.

dovid1946 on April 4th, 2015
'likely' was a term popularized in Victorian literature. I doubt if it was used in Ancient Greece, however. I am willing to bet that this translation is around 200 years old.

ruxpin66 on July 19th, 2015
I was shocked to realize the word was "likely." I don't like that there at all

wolf on August 19th, 2015
Yeah, likely was a problem for me too.

Roxanne on December 8th, 2015
This is a paraphrase from Plutarch writing about Themistocles. "Likely" is what the translator used for a Greek word that means "suitable." The translation I found with the word 'likely' was published in 1914.

LLapp on December 14th, 2015
Roxanne, thanks for the research!

cryptospiridiagram on March 1st, 2016
It' a lost usage of "likely". Example: that line from *Carousel*: "Dozens of boys pursue her, / Many a likely lad..." Likely: up for the job, equal to the task. Suitable (as a suitor!).

SippyGurl on November 7th, 2016
yah, lively

darkyr on April 14th, 2017
So then, 'likely' is not the likely word, in this case, given we are in the far future of the translation.

kb83 on August 2nd, 2017
Wow. I love this site. Thanks, everyone!

blueladyblue on February 27th, 2018
So I guess it's a "purposeful" or "suitable" man rather than a rich man. Can't a rich man be likely too?

Lurker on March 3rd, 2018
Thank you, cryptospiridiagram! I couldn't remember which musical that line was from. It was going to bother me all day.

DonnaIrene on May 19th, 2018
Cryptospiridiagram is right. As Roxanne says, this quote is from a 1914 translation of "Plutarch's Lives." The context: "Of two suitors for his daughter's hand, he [Themistocles] chose the likely man in preference to the rich man, saying that he wanted a man without money rather than money without a man."