Forum

Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Clockwise...

With so many clocks and watches now being digital, will the words "clockwise" and "counter-clockwise" continue to be used by younger generations?
Old 04-25-2017, 04:30 PM

I'd expect clockwise and counterclockwise to continue to be used until a better term comes along. After all, we still say 'jury-rigged' (or jerry-rigged) although nowadays English speakers rarely come into contact with sailing ships. And 'red tape' is the bane of many of us, although it's been a long time since documents were tied up in actual red tape.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Occasional Ranter

And people still say they "dialed" a number on the phone. I wonder if "dial" will remain as a word, but with different meaning.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 PM

I have analog clocks all over my house! I prefer them, and it helped my kids learn what I mean when I say "quarter after" or "quarter of" It also made math easier for them - analog clocks are a great shortcut for explaining certain topics in Geometry and Trig. (For my fellow nerds out there - how do you ever explain the Unit Circle to a kid who only knows digital clocks??)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalmom View Post
I have analog clocks all over my house! I prefer them, and it helped my kids learn what I mean when I say "quarter after" or "quarter of" It also made math easier for them - analog clocks are a great shortcut for explaining certain topics in Geometry and Trig. (For my fellow nerds out there - how do you ever explain the Unit Circle to a kid who only knows digital clocks??)
when i was a kid, i thought that the "quarter" meant 25 minutes--it made sense to me!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM

What are these clocks you speak of? My sundial runs quite satisfactorily... but it is a bit cloudy today.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:25 PM

They refer to those enormous contraptions with the flowing water, the float and the pointer. They are quite popular in large cities with aqueducts.