Forum

Old 09-17-2016, 07:56 PM

Default Top Scores

I'm new to playing cryptograms and the majority of my scores are below average, but honestly I'm just proud to get them right, lol. But I see that the user bansaisequoia has a lot of the top scores at 8 or 9 seconds. Is that even possible??? Or are they a robot?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:04 PM

No, he's not a robot. And what's more amazing is that he has only one arm and only three fingers on the hand he has left.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Occasional Ranter

Default We are all real people.

Hi lyfialemonade,

Yeah, I thought so too when I was new here. That was two years ago, and now I have solved quite a few cryptograms in under 10 seconds. My fastest time so far is 7 seconds. My average time is much higher, and some quotes take me over a minute or two -- and some I just give up on -- but I know from experience that you really can solve some of these in just a few seconds.

You'll see, if you keep at it, how the speed picks up little by little. Meanwhile, remember that on this site you don't have to type the whole quote since it has autofill -- you type each letter of the alphabet only once, and I haven't seen a puzzle yet that used more than 24 letters of the alphabet. Most use more like 20 letters, and a fast typist can easily type 20 letters in under 10 seconds. Where the real speed comes in is in recognizing letter patterns, recognizing the quote's author and knowing that author's speech style, and, if you have more brain cells than I do, recognizing the letter patterns of a specific quote you have solved a few times before and then just typing the rest of it from memory. What also helps is having a fast connection: if your computer "hangs" after you submit your solution, that eats up time.

Here is a forum thread that offers YouTube videos of some of your fellow players solving very quickly,
http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/sho...=5028#post5028

Keep on solving! We look forward to seeing you in the comment box.

Lisa
Old 09-18-2016, 12:40 AM

Bansai would LOVE that comment about 1 arm and only 3 fingers!!! But he's a very real person, with an incredible brain and still has both arms and legs...and all his fingers!
Old 09-18-2016, 05:27 AM

Thanks for the response! I can't imagine every being that fast, I get excited when I have an average score! Good to know though.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:46 PM

Default Bansai

Bansai is a touch typist, has a fast internet connection, fantastic pattern recognition, and a super memory for quotes.

I've been as fast as 10 seconds for a single puzzle, but never faster than that.