Forum

Old 10-04-2008, 12:49 AM
The Cheshire Kat

Default browsers and speed

I've found that firefox works the fastest on my computer after trying IE8. Unfortunately, today my guy did something to the computer and firefox won't run this site. I am not sure what he did or if he can undo it so I am stuck with IE8. I'm frustrated because the cursor just won't keep up with the typing! Any other suggestions anyone?

Last edited by kat : 10-04-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Default Ick

Ask him to undo whatever he did?

That sucks. Maybe Stephen will have some ideas...
Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Default restore

Maybe you can do a restore to an early point. That might fix it
Old 10-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Default browsers

Check under "Tools" "Options" "Content" to see if "Enable Javascript" and "Enable Java" are both checked.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:15 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Default well..

Still working things out.... I'll see how it goes. I did take your advice, Maradnu, and hopefully that helped. Thanks for everything!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 AM

Unhappy Slow Going

I don't think this is a browser issue (I'm using Firefox), but I've been noticing the last week or two that it's taking much longer to solve cryptograms. Just now I had to wait almost 60 seconds before I could enter any letters.

I've also been running some intensive applications (like NetBeans, which slows everything down), but have been restarting my system before doing cryptograms to clear all memory and it's still quite slow.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 AM

Default Slow

I've noticed it regularly taking 5 or 10 seconds to load a puzzle, and sometimes a similar period to check it. I just figured it was lots of folks on the site.

Have not had it take a minute though.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:22 AM

Default Portable version of firefox

I've experienced the pauses before also. They seem to happen from the web browser accessing java scipt files shortly after the page appears. Your hard drive might be busy doing other things causing a pause. So here's something to try

Download portable version of firefox
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Install it to an easy to find folder. This version runs entirely from the folder you install it to. You can move it wherever you want and it still works. I suggest buying a good usb flash drive to copy it to (as a bonus you can have your bookmarks wherever you take it). When it asks if you want to enable session restore say no.

edit: if you are slightly geeky like me and have heard of a ramdrive, download one and install Firefox Portable to it. You will have to install it on every reboot but if you run it like that, there's little delay that can be caused on your end.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...d-2003-server/

Last edited by superfastkyle : 01-23-2009 at 07:35 AM.