Forum

Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalmom View Post

Speaking of Barnabas...I want to give him a "tip of the hat" for helping me to discover what a wonderful community of solvers you all are... a few weeks ago, to my amazement, I saw that I had a Message! It was from Barnabas, responding to a rather thoughtless comment I had posted about one of the quotes... So, to Barnabas the self-deprecating mortician - and how many of us gasped in delight when we read that post - thank you, I'm very grateful to you.
U-Mom is being too kind. The truth of the matter is I had sent a message to apologize for a hastily posted and not very well constructed comment I had left after solving a quote. U-mom's comment was in no way thoughtless, and I am grateful to her that her reaction to my comment helped me to see how people were interpreting my comment (which was not the way I had intended it to be interpreted). So the thanks rightfully go to U-mom. And if I in any way had a hand in your becoming part of the "social" aspect of this website, well then I'm glad I did. It's fun to see what's on people's minds, and we enjoy your comments, U-mom.

Last edited by Barnabas : 02-06-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: verbiage
Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 PM

Default what inspired your name

I had pondered a name for my son in law to call me and always wanted a nickname of some kind. He was driving in Charleston and saw a restaurant called Skoogies and said...he thought jokingly....how about Skoogie? I loved it! It stuck!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 PM

that's a fantastic name! (and your method of choice is exactly how my daughter once got the name "hobart" for her new baby doll! we've laughed about that name for years.)

so, skoogie, while we're telling all (ha!), your gender?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoogie2 View Post
I had pondered a name for my son in law to call me and always wanted a nickname of some kind. He was driving in Charleston and saw a restaurant called Skoogies and said...he thought jokingly....how about Skoogie? I loved it! It stuck!
Skoogie, I just saw a comment by you when I solved a quote - it was so cool knowing your backstory And I'm guessing you're female...a guy would just have his son in law call him by his first name!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM

What an entertaining and informative thread - great idea!

I have to say that I've never participated in any online commentary or threads until this site, and I feel like I'm just blabbing all the time here! (By the way, please excuse those comments produced by one too many glasses of wine.)

Anyhoozles, on a different site I needed a screen name and happened to be eating Chinese food to go…. nothing I came up with worked. I looked around, tried "chopsticks", that didn't work, but chopstix did and there ya go!

Also, I'm half Japanese…. also also, I'm female…. I was lucky to find an avatar that worked for me (I like mushrooms, and doing puzzles - although I don't usually use a pencil).
Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Chopstix, your avatar always makes me chuckle. Please don't be hesitant to join in the conversations.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Default What inspired your name

Cute story, wvwoman, about the doll's name! and, you're right, universalmom (and I enjoyed where your name came from! I always told my kids I was never going to be mother of the year, I guess, when I made unpopular decisions, and then that name stuck with them, moty, mother of the year) men would just tell their son-in-law to call them their name!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoogie2 View Post
Cute story, wvwoman, about the doll's name! and, you're right, universalmom (and I enjoyed where your name came from! I always told my kids I was never going to be mother of the year, I guess, when I made unpopular decisions, and then that name stuck with them, moty, mother of the year) men would just tell their son-in-law to call them their name!
moty, that's awesome! Right up there with POTUS, FLOTUS...MOTY

When I first got married, I wondered what on earth to call my mother-in-law too. She took the initiative by leaving a phone message saying "Hello, this is Mummy," which I loved and have used for upwards of 27 years!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvwoman View Post
i LOVED that tv show! haven't seen any reruns in several years---it's about time to watch them again--who should we talk to?!!
They were playing on a secondary channel, ME-TV I think, but I looked and didn't see it right now. This is an off-the-air channel like 5.2, 7.2, 9.3, etc that you can get with an antenna if you are in an area with broadcast reception. The guides are available online by ZIP code. They'll be back.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM

As for my game name - I wish I had given it more thought before I chose it. I was relatively new at working the puzzles and I had already seen puzzleme. Just a take-off on his or hers. I enjoy almost everyone's comments on the solutions and try to add something occasionally if I can think of something pertinent or sometimes, just something silly. I started working the puzzles to try and keep my mind sharp (or get it sharp in the first place) in retirement.