Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM

I can't believe that nanrich sometimes hits enter before filling in all the letters. I do this, or as I hit enter I see that AND should have been ANY or something like that.

I DO see "there is" "there are" "we are" "nothing" "something" Somewhere" "everywhere" I guess pretty well at "everything" "happiness" "success" and a lot of those you've mentioned. I doubt that I will ever get to the point where I can look at a puzzle and read it.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 PM

I'm giving up vodka....gonna try wine!

I hope that all the folks playing here read Nanrich's response....she/he is truly amazing!!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 AM

i can't drink with the meds i take---i'm now going to use that as my excuse for not being better at this!
i'm in awe of you "gifted ones"--seriously, i truly believe that some folks just have a gift for this---and those folks, not unlike psychics who say, "everyone has this ability within them, they just need to blah blah blah," don't know that they have something special! i think maybe it's in how your brain processes what it visually sees--we know not everyone sees and processes things the same way. yes, i've gotten better at recognizing patterns and have learned some tricks, but it still takes me just as long as it ever did to study a puzzle, actuallly SEE it, looking for clues. i could be wrong, but i don't think that's going to change. but i'll let you know if it does!
(sure wish i could try the wine thing, though.)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM

Very good question. I don't consider myself a really fast solver yet, but I was super slow when I started compared to where I am now. I don't think I've ever been able to read an entire blank puzzle prior to filling in a couple of letters, but I do see patterns in small phrases, maybe three words at a time or so, that I have grown to customarily look for first. I wonder if it's like when you learn typing or keyboarding, where they tell you to gain speed that you need to advance from looking at letters to words to sentences, and that's when you become a quick typist.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM

'scuse me damsel, but you SHOULD consider yourself very fast, because you are. To me, anyone who's under a minute is Fast and anyone approaching 30 seconds is Very Fast.

Gonna try that wine thing on the weekend. I have a feeling it will just befuddle me.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:27 PM

The trick with the wine is to sip very slowly. You just want enough to dull out distractions, but not enough to feel the effects.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM

I also should have said that ANYONE who keeps 100% is Very Fast to me. If I HAD to do 100%, I would probably solve about 300 puzzles a month, and my time would be measured in hours rather than seconds.

I'm really in awe of you who can do it. Even in the old days of cryptograms in the newspaper, when I had all day to finish one, sometimes I just couldn't do it.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM

Abra - I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit. You're one of the solvers I happen to admire. This month you and I have about the same solving percentage, but you're a good 20 seconds faster than me, and you've racked up close to a million points, as compared to my 200K (which is a good month for me). Like you, I don't compare to Bansai, Lurker, Nanrich, Gryhnd, Lily, Opallady, and several of the other truly speedy solvers, and I don't have the 100% solve rate that folks like Lurker, Nanrich, Gryhnd, Beagle, LLL (is there an echo here?) All of these solvers are very gifted... but you're no slouch yourself. If I can improve to the level that I see you accomplishing, I'll be giving myself a pat on the back.

Last edited by Barnabas : 01-30-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM

You made be blush, Barnabas. Thank you, for the shot to the ego.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 AM

Default question for really fast solvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by abra View Post
'scuse me damsel, but you SHOULD consider yourself very fast, because you are. To me, anyone who's under a minute is Fast and anyone approaching 30 seconds is Very Fast.

Gonna try that wine thing on the weekend. I have a feeling it will just befuddle me.
Well, thank you for the compliment, Abra. But truly I still consider myself a novice compared to the likes of Bansai and others mentioned in the previous post. I'm definitely still learning, and I still find myself repeating my same errors. Just yesterday I signed up for Lumosity.com in hopes of improving my skills here. I also consider you among the best, as I find myself in competition with you practically every month for high scores. I say keep up your good work!