Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 01-22-2014, 08:05 PM

Default What other puzzles do you do?

I have a full-blown puzzle addiction, and I bet I'm not alone...do most of you focus on cryptograms, or do you have other puzzle obsessions?

Here are mine:

A crossword every night before bed (from the NY Times Crosswords Calendar, a yearly Christmas gift from my oldest son)

Two KenKen puzzles most evenings, online from NY Times, the "Harder" 6X6 and 8X8

Lumosity - I discovered this a few months ago, and I completely neglected cryptograms for awhile! Now it's a more occasional pastime, and I'm back to cryptos again.

...and on a long airplane flight, a couple of good hard Sudokus in the airline magazine can keep me quiet for hours! (Beneficial for people sitting next to me )

I've never started a thread before, and I look forward to seeing any replies that you guys want to post!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 AM

The Post Bulletin (Rochester, Minnesota's daily paper) has a fairly easy crossword, a daily Sudoku puzzle (they rate their Sudokus in difficulty from 1 to 6, each Monday is a 1, Tuesday is a 2, and so on, increasing in difficulty each day through Saturday). And they have a daily cryptogram. So it was the Post Bulletin that got me started on cryptos and Sudoku. I do more cryptos than anything else, but I occasionally go to wedsudoku.com. I don't believe that website has any way of tallying points or puzzles solved, etc., but it is a good Sudoku website. I'll also buy a magazine dedicated to logic puzzles (it comes out every three months). I really enjoy those kinds of problems, and I know Puzzle Baron has a logic website which I occasionally (as a guest only, so far) will visit.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 AM

Cryotos are my favourite, but when I'm having my daily hot chocolate, I'll do some word searches, because although they require no brain power, they can be done one-handed!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM

Nice inquiry universalmom -

I'm a crypto addict, and love crosswords, but I also like Cricklers which is not only fun, but is based on very current news stories:

http://www.crickler.com

Also, I saw this link today, some of you may find it interesting. It's about a post asking for help solving a "code" on index cards left by a dying grandmother 20 years ago…

http://www.onthemedia.org/story/yest...r-old-mystery/
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM

Barnabas - I had totally forgotten logic puzzles! I used to do them fanatically, and that was how I first found cryptograms.org. Thanks for reminding me!

Last edited by universalmom : 01-23-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 PM

Oh chopstix, those cricklers are addictive
Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM

...and how does a momof7 ever find time for a nice quiet cup of hot chocolate? (I've always wondered if you are the lady formerly known on this site as momof6 )
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Yes, she renamed herself when #7 came along.

I do the L.A. Times crossword and 9x9 sudoku every day. Online it's mostly here, but I have userids at Puzzle Baron's Crosswords, Drop Quotes, and Acrostics. Non-word gamey, I sometimes drop in on Games.com, and have recently become addicted to Escape games. Play those way too much. On airplanes, I get the Variety puzzles book and do whatever looks like the most fun. I also used to do logic puzzles a lot, but Puzzle Baron's are too hard for me. My logic has limits.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM

My first love is the quotes I solve here, but my second love is the totally wordless picture puzzles (for kids and grown-up kids) on this link: http://www.magickeys.com/books/jigsaws/index.html
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM

Besides cryptograms (both here and in puzzle books), I do crossword and logic problems every day.

BTW, I saw on the news tonight that viewers had solved the mystery of the grandmother's index cards!