Forum

Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 AM

Default Laura

I don't know how the over 100% happens. If I did, I'd tell Stephen in hopes he could prevent it. I don't know that it is anything someone is "doing", but it seems to happen regularly to a few specific individuals.

As you say, if they register over 100%, that will get fixed at month end, no harm, no foul. There is another scenario however. What if that person legitimately fails to complete a puzzle, putting them under 100%, then gets glitched back to 100%? Alternatively, if they get glitched to over 100%, they can afford to "miss" a difficult puzzle and still be shown with no misses. The first scenario appeared to happen a while back, and that individual then took third place on success rate for that month. That made me upset, because they got an honor they did not appear to earn or deserve - because of the glitch.

When I protested at that time, Ms. Ferry told me I was being "silly" and "ridiculous", and said I should lighten up and not take it so seriously.

Whatever. She is entitled to her opinion, and I am entitled to protest if I think something is unfair.

Since Stephen does not seem to review the success rate except at month end, but since he does look at the forum postings, they are one way of letting him know there is an issue to be corrected. To me that is more efficient than either wondering if someone else has notified him, or having multiple people notify him.

JMHO
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Maradnu:

You make a very good point that I hadn't considered. The maintaining of a 100% solve rate although missing a puzzle would be unfair, and I wasn't aware that anyone had actually received a prize unfairly because of this.

The glitches are very frustrating. Personally, I would love it if the double-loading on puzzles could go away. I almost had a heart attack when I realized my 100% solve rate was gone because I forgot to check statistics.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Smile

Hi to all. Let's remember that this is just a game, and free! So let's give admin. some slack and each other and all just enjoy playing. God bless!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Stephen

...for a fun, free game. To all it may concern: When there is a success rate over 100%, I am going to continue to post it.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi all. Let's remember that this in only a game and free at that. So how about we cut the admin some slack and each other and just enjoy playing.
God bless!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Hi everyone -

I have developed an entirely new playing board and code base which many of you have tested out over the previous weeks. I am going to run one more battery of tests on it this week before it is launched. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the new format should significantly reduce this particular problem - if not eliminate it altogether.

I am considering delaying the launch however until after this month's competition - changing the format so close to the end of the month may be too much of a distraction for players competing hard for top placement.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Smile

That's terrific Stephen, thanks for your thoughtfulness. And thank you for making a great site even better! I can't wait to see how quickly Bansai and ferrym and the other speedsters finish cryptograms.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
The glitches are very frustrating. Personally, I would love it if the double-loading on puzzles could go away. I almost had a heart attack when I realized my 100% solve rate was gone because I forgot to check statistics.
It is also annoying that clicking on "faq" starts a new puzzle - but the browser focuses on the faq automatically, and the puzzle is hidden at the top of the screen. It counts in your stats - and you have to remember to scroll up and solve it.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Uh-oh

Well, it's happened to me. Last night my score suddenly went to 100.16%. Today it's been going down by .01% about every 50 cryptograms even though there are no unsolved ones in my list. I'm at 100.11% and wondering what's going to happen when it hits 100.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to ferrym85

Ohh, don't even try the "it's just a game" angle on some of these folks... you'll just end up making some person upset over nothing, haha.