Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 09-27-2008, 09:40 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Default unfortunately..

If I disengage the automatic cursor, the autofill does not work. And if I keep the automatic cursor, it doesn't keep up with my typing (which really isn't that fast). I'm at a loss, and my time is getting slower. It may be my computer, which is not a newer model. Either way, I'm getting a bit frustrated. I know this is all new, and problems were expected I'm sure.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Hi kat -

What operating system and browser are you using?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Red face slightly embarrassing

While pretty decent with word puzzles, I am very computer illiterate. Good question. Windows HP? (I know you're probably sniggering behind your hand right now, and I don't blame you... )

It's gotten a little better, and I'm getting more used to the automatic cursor. I may have started whining too soon... I think it'll be fine. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 PM

Kat:

Sorry you're having problems. I had a hard time with the first few puzzles and wound up disabling the "move" feature. But when I forced myself to use it, it got better. I actually broke three of Bansai's records! (However, he'll be setting even better solve times now ;-).

So my time went down initially but then improved. I'm sure you'll adjust soon and get your fast solve times back. Just hang in there.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:13 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Thumbs up thanks

I appreciate the encouragement. Hope you are right! My times are fluctuating all over the place right now, and I miss being speedy.

You are right about Bansai...those times are going to be scary fast!

Thanks again and HAPPY SOLVING!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Hi kat -

If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, you may want to try installing Firefox - its a free download at www.getfirefox.com. In my own testing here the scripts work much better on slower computers using the Firefox browser. (They work great too on Google's new Chrome browser if you want to try that instead).

I'm sure it'll be a bit of a learning process to get the feel for the new system but hopefully it will end up being faster and more fun for everyone.

Cheers!

- Stephen
Old 09-27-2008, 11:50 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks Stephen. I've downloaded it and will give it a try. The explorer one was definitely giving me problems. I appreciate your help!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:57 AM

Default New format - generally good

It will take some getting used to. In some ways it is harder to spot patterns, with the numbers below the letters, but the numbers can be helpful as well.

It does not always keep up with me very well, and I am not a fast typist. Once I am rolling on a puzzle, it speeds things up considerably. Very nice to have it go back to the start if I've been working in the middle and reach the last, but have some unsolved early letters.

Kind of a nuisance when I get several letters wrong, as I have to click on each, since it wants to skip them.

Good to get it now. Not too much will change in the standings at this point in the month, and we can get the hang of it before next month's competition starts.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 AM

Default Firefox

Stephen:

It's interesting that you mention Firefox. I've been using it for almost a year and love it. Other sites work better with IE (like my school) but for cryptograms on this site I really prefer Firefox. The only problem I've noticed is that it sometimes shuts down unexpectedly. It did that on four occasions this week while I was doing cryptograms and the result was a decrease of .3 seconds on my average time.

But I also noticed that Mozilla has been upgrading this week. Maybe that's why.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Default new format

I agree the new format will take some getting used to. I have the impression that my overall time is faster (the highs becoming faster), but I do not seem to have anywhere near the usual amount of really fast times. I agree that the board doesn't keep up with my typing, but it's not acting particularly slow. I just type pretty fast. But it would be nice if it moved to the next letter faster.

I use Safari (I have a Mac, and LOVE it!) and have never once had a problem with the site. Occasionally (and I mean VERY occasionally), there is a site that doesn't work well with Safari, in which case I use Firefox instead. But I've never used Firefox on this site.

Overall, I really like the new board. The cursor jumping to the next open letter is REALLY helpful. I just need to not hit the wrong key so I don't have to go back and correct something...