Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Thumbs down Total Played / Total Solved

My Scores show that I have played 121 puzzles and have only solved 31 of them.

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. What am I missing?

I do leave puzzles sitting for quite a while sometimes because I'm not that worried about speed. Could this be the cause of the huge number of unsolved puzzles?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:43 AM

Possibly. If you leave the puzzle for more than 2 hours, it is considered unsolved. Make sure you're checking them for accuracy when you're done, and not just moving on to a new puzzle.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 AM

I figured out the issue.

Every time I click reset it is considered not solving the puzzle--which is dumb.

It shouldn't penalize me for clicking reset just to clear the letters I have entered.

Booo!!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Default i don't think so!

i sometimes reset many times when trying to get a handle on a puzzle, so i'm sure that's not it.

do you ever click more than once on the "play" button, or on the "try another cryptogram?" link, while waiting for your puzzle to load? if so, it could be pulling up a new game each time you click, but you'll only see one of them. my computer is slow, and i used to do that in my impatience...until i clicked on "recent games" one time and saw several unfinished games listed---and i knew i hadn't skipped any games! luckily, within a 2-hour period, it offers the chance to 'retry' those unsolved puzzles.

try checking the "recent games" tab at the top of the page every few games to see if this might be happening.

and don't give up---someone here will help you figure it out---they're great that way!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM

It doesn't count against you if you hit reset to clear it and start over. I do it all the time because it's faster than deleting one letter at a time when I've made a mistake and cannot figure out which letter is wrong. It does count as an unsolved puzzle if you do not complete the puzzle within a two hour period. I hope that helps.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:49 AM

BUT...if you leave a puzzle for over two hours and DO complete it, it counts as solved. you probably won't get any points for it, though!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 PM

I have finished puzzles even after clicking "recent games" and adding thousands of seconds. I still get at least ten points for my efforts. I wish we could return to puzzles left for longer periods because the result is more important to me. I know some folks google "smart quotes" or something but the spirit of the game is in the eventual solving.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 PM

Default Minimum points

The fewest points you can receive for completing a puzzle is 10. I've a few several thousand second completions under my belt.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 AM

Resetting does calculate in your percentage completion rate. I ended October with 100% completion rate and I know I reset many, many time during the month.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 AM

Fishbum, did you mean to say that resetting does NOT calculate into the solve rate? I reset lots of times.

I'd bet that the problem is more than 1 quote downloading at a time, which is why there's "recent games" to check. That used to be a bigger problem than it is now, but it still happens more frequently than I'd like. Most of us, who like to aim for 100% solve rate, check that pretty often while we're playing. I know this has already been suggested and I'm just agreeing with that assessment.