Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

View Poll Results: Which method do you prefer for dealing with repeat letter usage?
Automatic Replacement (option 1) 30 25.64%
Visual Indication (option 2) 34 29.06%
Leave it the Heck Alone! (as-is) 53 45.30%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 AM

I'm taking this opportunity to input a couple of things that made it more fun for me.
1. I am not a good typist so it often takes me a while to locate certain keys such as 'delete'.
I have a programmable mouse and programmed a button for the 'delete' function.
2. At one earlier time I was going to suggest to management that perhaps they could provide a drag-and-drop option for letters. I had this in mind because I would like to lean back in my chair and not have to sit upright to address the keyboard. (physical issues). Well, I have overcome this when I discovered the on-screen keyboard option. It also frees up one hand to hold my whiskey glass.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 AM

Fishbum? The on screen keyboard... How does that work?

Do you just use your mouse to do the typing so to speak?

Isnt that alot of work? You would have to locate the letter with your mouse then
position it into the puzzle is that right??

Just curious Ive never used an on screen keyboard I dont think this old computer
even has one.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 AM

Hi Pootie,
I find it pretty easy. The keyboard came available with Windows 7. It looks very much like a standard version and takes up about 25-30 % of the screen and can be moved about. I am typing this with it now, just one hand on the mouse. When solving, I just hit the letter with the mouse and click, just like my regular keyboard. If I want to move the cursor around within the puzzle, I do that as I normally would. I found the 'On screen keyboard' under 'Control Panel' features and opening 'Ease of Access Center'.

fishbum
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 AM

That sounds pretty cool actually.

Im finding its hard at times to sit up as well, and resting this huge old keyboard on my lap
just doesnt work.
I went into control panel and I do have an on screen keyboard, so I want to say thanks!
Maybe I can play some if I practice a bit.
Be nice to be able to just lean back and stretch out and play.
yes a laptop...I can hear everyone saying, LOL.

Well cheers and dont spill anything, lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:11 AM

It seems that our last couple of messages have killed discussion of the 'new feature'. While I am not of a strong opinion one way or the other an auto replacement, I would like to see a drag-and-drop feature.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 PM

Default letters already used

Hi!

I just want to say that it can be annoying when the letters on the bottom that are supposed to show which letters are still available, are not correct. Often I find that letters that I have already inputted into the puzzle are still showing on the bottom as unused.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:05 AM

I'm with you MOM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM

Wink newbie setting all time records

I'm a rank newbie, never having solved a cryptogram in my life until solving some from the newspaper in January. There weren't enough available there, so I looked online and found this site, and have been playing as a guest until joining today. I'm delighted to be able to complete almost all puzzles correctly, but it takes time. While some of you are working on the left hand side of the bell curve with your super fast time records, I'm setting my own records on the right! Actually in my short crypto history before I came here I never thought to worry about the time, just enjoyed solving the quote for its own sake, but I can see where being more efficient / skillful is going to be fun too.

I've read much of what's written here on the forum re the new proposed alert using replacement or pink for doubles. I think the latter allowing a moment to examine the choices is a great idea for beginners like me. Actually it's very similar to what I do with pencil and paper, putting a couple of choices up and examining them. If players are allowed to choose from all three options while playing in competition mode, it seems to me it wouldn't effect the best scores as it would probably cost time to use the new option. At any rate it would be available to all, so the playing field would be level. If it's voted down for competition, another idea might be to have these options available, but only in non-competition mode like the hints.

I'm so glad I found these online cryptos and the forum and FAQs which are very helpful. Now if I could just find the tips for newbies which someone said were on page 8 but obviously have drifted ....

Thanks,
ladie
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 AM
Sparkle Plenty

Smile Try this link

http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53

hope it helps
Old 02-05-2012, 04:45 AM

Smile

LiveLaughLove, this is just what I needed.

I've bookmarked the thread you sent as well as the link to the Pattern Word Dictionary.

Thanks for the help!
ladie