Forum

Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM

You know, I've noticed that also. I kept thinking the 3 S's were E's. This is a new pattern to look for.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 PM

I can't add much to the cryptographic advice above but I'd just add that occasionally it can help to look at who the quote is from. If you know who's saying it you might be more likely to think of the right possibilities for what they might be saying.

For example, if it's Anthony Robbins or some other self-help guru then you might spot that "success" or "self-esteem" a little quicker, and if it's Shakespeare, you might realise that that odd word in the second line is "forsooth" or "thou'rt".
Old 12-27-2008, 08:56 PM

Default Who said it

Ernests, you are so right. And if it's Helen Rowland, it's usually about marriage. Ambrose Bierce has the wacky definitions. And then there's always Dan Quayle with the ridiculous quotations. (One of my favorites: Space is almost infinite. As a matter of fact, we think it is infinite.)

I really think he's got something there!!
Old 12-27-2008, 09:04 PM

Default another observation

When I see a four letter word preceding a hyphen, I often try self- and see how that works.

Not always, but pretty often.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 PM

You're right. And usually if it's 3 letters it's non-, like in non-violence. There's a good chance that might be Mahatma Ghandi (sometimes spelled Gandhi) or Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 AM

When stuck and slogging away, try "TION" as the last four letters of each word of 9 letters or more (assuming there are any).

If the last letter of a long word is the same as the fourth from the last, try E in that spot, as words ending in -ENCE show up frequently in these quotes. As does KNOWLEDGE.

Someone may already have given this one, but a six-letter word with the first and fourth as the only repeats is often ALWAYS (but never OFTEN). ("I said, 'Often' ('Frequently') only once!")
Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 AM

Default Help

Well, folks looking for 'cheats' won't exactly find those in this thread, but can certainly find helpful hints.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Good Boy

maradnu you are hot #@%#@! !! here i thought i was so cool cuz i thought of a couple of 'that' possiblities that weren't mentioned. that is, of course, until you added your list!

Last edited by Angie : 05-27-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM

You are right, Angie, alot of helpful tips.

Last edited by AmberRose : 12-05-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maradnu View Post
Hey, what a surprise to join this group today and see my own website being plugged!

FWIW: I just updated my pattern word dictionary. I rebuilt it from scratch using new source documents. The URL is the same as before, but here's an explanation of what I changed: http://fiziwig.com/crypto/pattern.html

BTW: I thought I was good at cryptograms till I came here! Holy cow! It is taking me at least twice as long as the average to solve these things!

I'm used to the more "cerebral" cryptograms that I ponder over for hours with pencil and paper. With this APP it's really more like playing Wheel of Fortune on TV. I just wish I could buy a vowel sometimes.

--fiziwig