Forum

Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 AM

Default Average times

I left my computer logged onto an uncompleted puzzle and came back several hours later to find the same puzzle up. I solved the puzzle and found that my time was the slow record and probabely reset the average time 10's of seconds slower. Shouldn't there be a timeout feature?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:24 AM

Default Works in theory, but...

If there was a "pause" button, everyone would hit it the instant the puzzle loaded, go off and solve the crypto on cheat sites or by hand, and then type as fast as possible to get all sorts of quick times.

Your slow time won't affect the average. The solve rates and average times are fixed when the stats are first loaded in. I figured that out by some memorable quotes whose times and rates never changed, no matter how many times I solved it.

My best suggestion is to leave the site from your "recent games" page, after waiting at least two minutes after the last puzzle to make sure all are visible. Some players wait ten minutes, just to be extra sure.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:36 AM

I am not sure that the intent of my enquiry was properly grasped by Lurker. I do not advocate a pause feature. I advocate a timeout feature. If no activity is detected for a specified period of time the system will lock out the user and no data will be entered concerning that puzxzle by that user in that instance. I am not a proficient solver and only aspire to average times. If the average time may be affected by users who leave a puzzle up for extended periods of time without an atempt to solve this affects the average. Perhaps the site is only designed for the elite solvers?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 AM

Ah, I get it now. Yes, there is a timeout feature. If you leave a puzzle unsolved for two hours (give up on it and go on to another), it gets counted as an automatic loss. This only matters if you are going for 100%. What you did that time was leave the puzzle in an open page. That will run indefinitely. I think the current record is something like five hours. Ask Bansai.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:38 AM

Default 100%

That's another thing I do not understand, the competition for % of solve rates. It seems to me that if I solve one puzzle in one month my solve rate is 100%. How does this make me worthy of recognition?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 AM

If you only solve one puzzle in one month, it is true that you would be at 100%, but you would not make the list of top 50 because of your low score.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bansaisequoia

http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/sho...=1084#post1084
Old 09-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Default So how and where

As you may have already determined i am a new member. Where are all of these rules and regulations to be found?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 AM

So apparently all is secret. Goodbye.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Good Boy

Default shh

sshhh.....*stay down....is he gone?*