Forum

Old 06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Sparkle Plenty

Default inference

The inference is that someone is cheating/using some kind of program. I don't think that's the case, mainly because I have had several six second solves and even one fiver. All of course were ties. I wish people would just get over it and accept the fact that a real live human is capable.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 AM

Default Tickety-tac

A big part of being able to solve quickly is excellent typing skills. One mistake, and it could take several seconds just to fix it. A fast typist can easily do one in record time, even if they don't solve it at first glance.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Good Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
The inference is that someone is cheating/using some kind of program.
LLL - I'm not sure i understand what you are saying. i think anyone can cheat whether they are playing as a guest or a competitor. the only thing a guest can do is use the 'hints', which, of course, makes it unfair for them to be able to set records. i could be wrong tho...
Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Sparkle Plenty

Default Cheating

The guy was implying that the really fast solves are because someone is cheating or using a program. Do you think people are cheating at this and getting fast solves? I don't. I think people are amazing. I do not cheat and I have some really fast solves. I also have some records for the slowest solves in the history of the game. BTW how can people cheat at this and get fast solves, let me know, I can use all the help I can get.

Last edited by LiveLoveLaugh : 06-24-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Good Boy

Default i'm so confused (but it doesn't take much!)

OK i think i got it....i think i know how this thread got so convoluted! or at least why i'm so confused. some people are talking about speed and some are talking about records. it's true, there is no way to get a fast time if you need to go to your book of poems by Dylan Thomas ... or flip through a dictionary ... or whatever your reference of choice is. heck, even hitting the hint button eats up seconds. so i'm not sure that speed is necessarily the issue. and i'm not sure that 'record time' is the entire issue either. the other day i set a record time with a 142 second solve time. (the dictionary was in the other room! ha!) that was probably broken before i said "Hey honey, guess what I just did!?!"

For me it's just a case of wanting to know who i am competing with. someone comes along ... plays a couple games ... and then off he goes. geez, leave a $20 on the dresser and its just like college! (ha ! just kidding!)
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Sparkle Plenty

Default records

are set with speed so for me they are synonymous
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM

Talking How To Cheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
BTW how can people cheat at this and get fast solves, let me know, I can use all the help I can get.
I wondered aloud about some of the very, very brief scoring times. My son said he figures if anyone's cheating they're using some kind of program.

One hopes, of course, that no one would actually be so lame as to be driven to such lengths just to get a little attention.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:47 AM

Yes, people "cheat" by using various reference sources and crypto solving programs, but that will NEVER produce a fast time. The most efficient cross-referencing program on Earth is the human brain. If you see an absurdly fast time (10 sec or less), I can guarantee that the result came out of the player's mind and fingertips. The record Guest scores that are still in the system are mainly from people who had the vowel head start, and no one has been able to duplicate that speed without the nudge.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:13 AM

Talking 'Kay!

I can believe that fast typing helps. Me, I type like I'm using my toes.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:48 AM

Question Is there a way to cheat?

I dont see how. You cant copy a puzzle because I am certain admin has set up codes to prevent that, and copying would be the only way to cheat... copy and paste to a solver of some sort? There is no way I can see how that could happen.

No, I think people are just really fast typists, and have amazing pattern recognition abilities. Possibly excellent memories to authors names as well. I do agree however, that guests should be allowed to see their record times, I played for months and set a few, I did not know they affected the actual competition for registered members until joining. I also think guest scores should not be counted in the record times.

Thank you for letting me speak on this.

Be well all.