Forum

Old 03-11-2016, 06:30 AM

Default Jack Handy quote

"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD."
Jack Handey

I was doing a few cryptograms this morning and this quote came up.

There were lots of comments on the quote, and I added mine.

I find this quote unbelievably disgusting.

One of the reasons I personally do cryptograms is to solve a puzzle and then get a little nugget of encouragement or something thought provoking. I don't even mind if it is "against" my own world view. But, there is a line of decency, whether one is a Christian or atheist. This quote crosses it.

I realize that some people find Jack Handy amusing. Go ahead, bring it on and post your thoughts.

Because:

I want to start a campaign to get this quote off the site. I never want to see it again.

Liz
Old 03-22-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Handey

There seem to be some folks who find him entertaining, but I personally find Handey to be inane at best and cruel, disgusting, or obnoxious at worst.

I doubt you will get the quote removed. There are disgusting quotes from such "luminaries" as Adolph Hitler and the Marquis de Sade that remain on the site.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:49 AM

I myself find him rather annoying, and definitely not funny.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Default I agree with LizardLeap

I vote for removing that particular Jack Handey quote. LizardLeap, thank you for raising this topic.

While I also completely agree with the site policy that it's acceptable to have quotes from historic madmen like Hitler, I see no justification for this quote from Jack Handey. It is alarming and disgusting with no redeeming value whatsoever. Even the Hitler quotes have an important value, in that they give us insight into his mind in order to recognize such madness when it surfaces again. But Handey's quote is nothing more than a poor attempt at humor that not only fails but is actually disturbing.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:43 PM

I thin k the quote is funny and silly and I don;t see what it has to do with Christianity or atheism. Some people need to lighten up. Why does everybody have to get so offended these days?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Killdozer, I think you misread what LizardLeap meant by the mention of religion. What she wrote was, "I don't even mind if [a quote] is 'against' my own world view. But, there is a line of decency, whether one is a Christian or atheist. This quote crosses it." She was referring, I think, to the fact that players so often take offense based on perceived insult to their Christianity or their atheism, and that, unlike them, she has no problem with quotes that disagree with her religious views.

Her point was that she is not normally offended by quotes and that still this one offends her fundamental sense of decency.

Obviously, you disagree with LizardLeap's main point, since you say you found the quote funny. I just wanted to dispel this mistaken notion that she was claiming offense based on some religious connection.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:58 AM

I agree with LizardLeap and LLapp that this quote is offensive, but I don't agree that it should be removed. There are a lot of quotes that I find offensive for one reason or another - some from the Marquis de Sade come to mind. But the trouble is that there is no unanimity among members as to which quotes are or are not offensive. One person's humor is another's disgust. Where does Admin. draw the line? We already have the capability of opting out of quotes that are rated offensive. In the interests of free speech, I vote for no censorship.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

I'm new to the forum, for what that's worth, but I look at this way - you're breaking the code. What the quote says is irrelevant except that something so off the wall makes it more difficult because it's completely unexpected. Leave it.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

Marnita, I totally agree with you. I've been paying closer attention to which quotes have been voted "offensive" and it has amazed me quite often. There are a couple of quotes by Mother Teresa where 1 or 2 people have voted 10 on the offensive scale. C'mon folks.....Mother Teresa??? REALLY???