Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
The Cheshire Kat

Default thank you

mostly for your support gryhnd51! Like I said, very much not trying to rock the boat, so to speak, but the fact is, there really ARE two types of players. I have a weird thing about trying to please everyone. (There's ben franklin quote about that floating around out there..) I want something for myself in this instance. Simply a recognition of the fact that I am fast and I am consistent. But not just for me. For Maradnu and Lily, and Pootie and gosh, I'm sorry..Laura and Digirl (sp?) altoid..the list goes on. We are a group of folks that enjoy puzzle solving. Maybe addicts. Needless to say, we are all of the same ilk.

The fact that there really are two factions in the game makes me think that the competition isn't necessarily skewed, just um.... well, i'm at a loss. it's not exactly unfair, but it isn't exactly fair either. I want the players who are super fast and skip some to feel that they're represented, yet I would like to feel represented as well. I hope I don't upset anyone. I just want to maybe get some kind of recognition for being fast AND solving all of the puzzles. Does that make any sense at all?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator

That's not a bad idea - maybe a fourth monthly competition for "Elite Solvers". The requirements would be:

- Must be in the top 50 High Scorers
- Must have a solving percentage of 98% or higher
- Ranked by average solve time

I'll put some thought into it.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to ferrym85

I agree that it's extremely impressive that there are some people capable of solving 100% of their puzzles in fast times... it's definitely something I would never be able to do! Too many actual important things happening to worry about such trivialities.

I give a big old THUMBS UP for a new contest for the "elitists" here! There's certainly some merit to being recognized for being quick and accurate. I'm sure those of you who succeed spend a lot of time and effort to do so...

Continue on with your crusade! Hopefully you'll be able to find that satisfaction you crave and can't find elsewhere.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Default Admin,

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 PM

Actually it seems to me that there are three groups: those who have the discipline to finish every puzzle; those who have the discipline to blow off every one that slows them down in order to keep their average time as low as possible; and those like me who can't bear to give up on the middling-hard ones, OR to keep going when we've run out of ideas.

I have always thought it would be interesting to try running two different personae some month. The problem is I spend so little time here compared to some others that I couldn't keep either of them in the top 50 . . .
Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 AM

Default I like the idea of an Elite category!

For some of us, it would make the playing field seem more fair. I hate giving up on any puzzle and have worked hard, as all others mentioned here, to get my speed down. Great idea, Kat!

digirl28
Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 AM

Thumbs up I'm rooting for you "elite" folks

It sounds like Stephen is putting some serious thought into this, so I'm hopeful that you guys will get what you deserve.

I'm not sure I agree with the 98% part of it, but that would be more up to you perfectionists than myself

At my age, I don't have either the time or the patience to spend hours....let alone days....on just ONE thing! life gets to a point where you try to fit as much as possible into every minute! However, in case I haven't said it clearly enough, I have the GREATEST respect for all of you who solve at a very high percentage and also manage to do it so darned fast!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 AM

Thumbs up 98%

That is not a bad idea. There have been so many times that an 'elite' puzzler has missed a puzzle, either because of a system glitch, or something of that sort, that it makes it fairer to include those who may have missed a very few puzzles. I know that has happened to Kat, Di, and Laura, among others at various times. No reason to exclude people from the 'elite' just for a glitch. Besides, Stephen is less likely to get complaints about glitches than if the 'elite' were limited to 100%ers.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Elite

I agree that there are more than two types of players. After the previous game crashed, I changed my player name and my approach. I've fought perfectionism for years, and decided I don't need to add frustration to my life. Now, I relish solving the "difficult" puzzles as quickly as I can. (I'm more inclined to pass on the long "easy" ones.) It used to bother me that the same points were awarded regardless of the speed with with the puzzle was solved. I'm less concerned about standings now, and enjoy playing more. It's a great game, with some amazingly talented participants who play for both speed and accuracy. Kudos to them. In fairness to those who really care about standings, there's the consideration of changing rules in the middle of the game. For that reason, a new category is probably best--one which starts "from scratch". It isn't possible to please everyone, but that might help. The one thing that would please me would be a different term than "elite players". I'd love to see the game kept playful while maintaining the mental challenge. (Of course, it won't actually affect me, since I won't be on that list!)
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Default elite

I agree. The term "elite" bothers me as well.