Forum

Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Question retry

Has anyony else had problems with the letters not filling in when you retry a cryptogram? Every time I've had to go back and retry one I have had to fill in all of the letters one at a time, as opposed to the regular cryptograms that automatically fill in the letters once you put one in. Of course this adds to the solving time, which is already long in the first place...since it was that hard to solve the first time around. Is it just me? Very frustrating.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 AM

Default Same thing...

I've had the same problem.... also I've had a new game pop up... giving me two to solve.... the other day, my cat walked across the keyboard... and suddenly I had 9 unsolved games.... that was a real time killer!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Default Retry

I knew there was a good reason to keep the cat off of the keyboard! I've been having better luck with the "go-back" arrow on the browser than the "try again" in the game.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:06 AM
The Cheshire Kat

Smile retry

Well, I can't say I've had either of my cats step on the keyboard yet...but they sure do try and play along with me somtimes.(especially the one in my avatar photo. He is very brilliant for a kitty) So the back arrow is the better way to retry? I'll give that a shot next time. My solving percentage isn't that great this month so far, so I have to watch it. I'm short on patience with the really tough ones. Thanks for the hint!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:23 AM

Default How....

How do you keep a cat off the keyboard? I am a dog person, and I inherited this cat from my 87 year old uncle who died last summer. The cat seems to be drawn to my keboard like a magnet. I tell him no, and put my hands over the keyboard. Then when I am not watching, he walks on it. He also stands right in front of the screen when I am trying to solve a puzzle. I guess he wants attention, or wants to participate. Unfortunately, he has shown no ability to solve cryptos.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM

I never said it was easy to keep a cat off of the keyboard. Try toys, feeding, handing it off to someone else, or encouraging it to sit in your lap instead of on the keyboard.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Question retry

My cat steps very gingerly around my keyboard. I don't know why. He does stand in front of it sometimes trying to get my attention. I gently shove him out of the way and solve the puzzle, then I pick him up and give him some attention. He usually sits in my chair behind me while I'm playing. Like I said, an exceptionally smart cat. Unfortunately, he shows no ability for cryptograms either.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:29 AM

Default Look what I have to put up with....

I have posted a picture of my cat on my profile, so you can get an inkling of what I have to put up with....
Old 04-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Retry

I haven't had a problem with a cat walking across the keyboard. (I'm allergic to cats, and my dog can't reach the keyboard.)

I have had the issue with letters not auto-filling a few times, and with two puzzles opening up. Sometimes they will not auto-fill at all, but mostly only partially auto-filling.

Luckily it has not happened too often - though it would be nice if the 'management' could find and fix the problem.

A few times, not often, I've hit the retry button and had it open a new puzzle.

Both problems mostly screw up times more than anything else.

Good luck with the cats.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Smile retry

To TonyBoy...
After reviewing the photo you posted may I suggest that it is probably a bad idea to keep a piece of string lying across your keyboard, as this could possibly be the root of you problem. He's a pretty cat though. Nice markings.

To Maradnu...
Yes, I've had exactly the same problems with partial or entire lack of auto-fill. Definitley messes with your times. I don't think I have enough patience to be a 100 percent-er. I think I enjoy it more when I'm less worried about the 100% thing. In the future if I can't manage 100% then so be it. So, honestly, I really don't know if I'll even be hitting that retry button anymore.