Forum

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Default String....

Thanks for the suggestion about the string on the keyboard.... I hadn't thought of that... I removed it.... but he is still fascinated with the computer... (He also plays the piano.... he is using the string method to learn to play.... he was a stray who came from the convenience store in Hartford, Kansas.... he came up to my uncle's house in 2002... so I guess he is a country cat.)
Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Exclamation retry

The string method can be used to learn piano? I'll have to try that. Neither of my cats are musically inclined as far as I can tell, although the one NOT in my avatar picture is quite vocal. Especially when there is a lack of food on his plate. He is 18.70 lbs. There is a slide show on my myspace if you want to see.

Totally off the subject, I'm wondering if you can help me. I've been stumped on a particular cryptogram TWICE now and if I get it again I think my head may explode. I wrote it down.

John Milton

FEW, NG-FCCGRVOPEL SZN FQQOPTUGW YSKGNC, TSECZOU DSK KG RFH DGETGQSNUD RSCU SQQGEW.

This feels like cheating to me, but curiousity might actually kill the Kat (sorry) if I get this frutrating quote again. The average solve time was up in the 400 sec. range so I guess it didn't come too easily to too many other solvers either. Help!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Default I'm not having ....

I'm not having any luck solving the crypto you put up there.... Milton used the contraction th' for the quit a bit.... digirl28 has most of these recorded.... maybe she has this one...
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 PM

How many words are there, that have the same letter pattern as "DGETGQSNUD"?

Ten-letter words, where the first and last letters are the same and the second and the fifth letters are the same?

I only know of three: "disfigured", "henceforth", and "secretions".

Pattern-word lists are your friend. It's pretty easy to make your own pattern word lists, with your desktop computer (which has the advantage of giving you files that can be computer-searched.) But if you're not up to that, Aegean Park Press sells a number of books containing pattern word lists. And there's a good set of pattern word tables in Appendix D of FM 34-40-2, which can be downloaded from the internet:

FM 43-40-2 Basic Cryptanalysis
Old 04-06-2008, 11:29 PM
The Cheshire Kat

Lightbulb retry

Thanks...it was most certainly "henceforth". This is what I came up with:

John Milton

And, re-assembling our afflicted powers, consult how we may henceforth most offend.

Unless the "p" in "powers" is wrong then I'm pretty sure this is the answer.

I appreciate all of your help. If I run into this quote again I'll still kind of feel like I cheated. But, since I now know the answer, it is likely that I wil never, ever see this particular quote again.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 AM

Default This is from Paradise Lost....

This is from Paradise Lost... sometimes a partial fragment can be googled, but in this case, only the last part comes up... the first part doesn't seem to register.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Unless the "p" in "powers" is wrong then I'm pretty sure this is the answer.
What else could it be? If you've set everything else, all you have left is "j k p q v x z", only one of them gives you a word.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:46 AM
The Cheshire Kat

Default retry

Yes, I'm sure that's a correct solution. But as I said earlier, I probably won't get that particular cryptogram again now that I know the answer. Thanks again for the help.