Forum

Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maradnu View Post
"Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good." Ralph Waldo Emerson
This one was rated six stars on the offensive scale.
To be honest, from what I've read of Emerson, I'd consider him to be one of America's finest purveyors of the stuff you might accidentally step in while crossing a farmer's field. I don't think I've ever marked his quotes as offensive though. Ones that seem particularly wrong-headed I might have occasionally marked as confusing if I was in the mood - i.e. it confuses me how anyone could have said this and be taken seriously - but not offensive. This particular quote doesn't seem bad at all for him.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Emerson, et al

There are any number of quotes that I would tend to take issue with. That I disagree with them does not make them either offensive or confusing - to me at least.

What I find offensive are those quotes which demean or debase another race, gender, or religion, or which advocate, excuse, or condone injury, harm, or violence to others.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maradnu View Post
There are any number of quotes that I would tend to take issue with. That I disagree with them does not make them either offensive or confusing - to me at least.
True, but sometimes I feel I should click something, and in the absence of an "Oh for God's sake, that's just stupid" rating, "confusing" is the only alternative.

I don't do that with the "offensive" rating though - the few quotes I mark with that are actually denigrating to some group or other - but maybe some people do use it as an alternative to an "I disagree" button. After all, the rest of the ratings are just for people to express their reaction to the quote - inspirational, thought-provoking, etc. It's only the "offensive" rating that has an actual effect on gameplay for others. Perhaps flagging offensive comments should be separated out from the other ratings to prevent mere disagreement being confused with genuinely saying it shouldn't be there.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to ferrym85

What is offensive is very subjective. I think it's unnecessary to even have that as an area you can rate a quote on if only for the people that have "offensive" quotes turned off. They miss out on a plethora of puzzles because a handful of other people deemed them offensive.

Play all the puzzles and then make a mental note not to pay attention to certain attributed authors. Because in the end, does it really matter if it was offensive? It's just a quote in a puzzle and it's off your screen in a matter of seconds or minutes (and hopefully not much longer than that).

I know most of the time I don't even read what the quotes are... I just find the letter patterns and go to town!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Default Subjective

Of course, it is subjective. All beauty and ugliness is in the eye of the beholder.

What has bothered me in the past is that which denigrates others - whether that is sexism, racism, anti-semitism, or any other kind of denigration. I am most offended by some of the violently sexist quotes on this site attributed to the Marquis de Sade. Some of those even border on advocacy of violence towards women.

For all my past ranting, I have not turned off anything.

Just lately, I have been surprised at how seemingly innocuous some quotes are which have been flagged by people as 'offensive'.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:14 PM

Ah, I suppose I just don't see the point in taking offense to any of the quotes on here, regardless of what they say. Most of them are wrong or incomplete anyway or can have a completely different meaning when taken out of context.

I'm interested in what these "violently sexist" quotes are you talk about though. Do you know any off the top of your head you could share?

I will agree it's amusing to see what other people find offensive, especially when it clearly isn't

People are strange...
Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM

Default Subjective

Not everything is relative. That which directly harms another is wrong.

Not all speech is free and protected. That speech which incites harm to others is not acceptable.

That is not to say that there may not be gray areas, but that is an area to tread carefully.

As to offense, some people may be offended by anything which challenges their beliefs or preconceptions.

I am sometimes amazed by that which offends some people, but I am bothered by that which seems to denigrate some group of people, whether that is based on race, religion, gender, or whatever. I am bothered by that which would seem to abet or condone harmful acts towards others.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 PM

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that hate speech is ok, haha

Still interested in these "violently sexist" quotes though. I've solved many of the Marquis De Sade's quotes and found nothing terribly offensive about them. But perhaps that's because I have the ability to laugh at others' stupidity... and I look at the world with a different view than you!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bansaisequoia
Exclamation Oh, Shoot

"If it looks like s**t, smells like s**t, mail it to your enemy... he'll know what to do with it. "
— Doug Horton

This one only got 6.3 stars. And who is this Doug Horton? Looking at his quotes, he would seem to be a protestant clergyman that wikipedia says was noted for his work in ecumenical relations. The only other Doug Horton I can find is a stock car racer of minor repute. He doesn't seem to be the author of inspirational quotes. Can anyone shed light on this?

Last edited by bansaisequoia : 12-31-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Hahaha, what a fabulous quote!