Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Help creating a cryptogram

Hello, all... I am new to python, learning the basics..and to be honest I'm not very good at it. I have an assignment where I have to create a cryptogram..I just don't know where to start. If someone can get me pointed in the right direction I can usually gain momentum and figure out the assignment. That being said, if anyone could show me an outline or a sample of a past one you've created to help me write one of my own I would appreciate it. also we use python 3. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhowell89 View Post
Hello, all... I am new to python, learning the basics..and to be honest I'm not very good at it. I have an assignment where I have to create a cryptogram..I just don't know where to start. If someone can get me pointed in the right direction I can usually gain momentum and figure out the assignment. That being said, if anyone could show me an outline or a sample of a past one you've created to help me write one of my own I would appreciate it. also we use python 3. Thank you!
A cryptogram is just a piece of text where you substitute each letter in the cryptogram for a letter in the original. Every time there's an i, say, in the original, you use another letter, like x (in my example), and every time there's an a, for instance, in the original you use another letter, like r; the crucial thing is always to substitute the same letter for the all examples of one letter in the original, and not to use the same letter for two different original letters. So 'I have an assignment' would be 'x wrhj rf rddxbfojfm' (I hope I did that right!). I guess that the goal of the assignment is to figure out how to substitute one letter for another using Python, rather than paper and pencil. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:18 PM

You could cheat and use a ROT13 converter, which just shifts all the letters halfway around the alphabet. Around here, we can read that like it was uncoded, so you probably couldn't fool your teacher. I'm unfamiliar with Python. This sounds more like a computer assignment than one for encryption.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Occasional Ranter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Around here, we can read that like it was uncoded...
I don't think I would recognize the whole code that easily. I would still just see the word patterns.

wjhowell89: Making a cryptogram is simple. You first create the code by writing the alphabet and then assigning a unique code letter to each alphabet letter. You could ensure the code letters are unique by writing a second alphabet and crossing off each letter as you assign it. Then, once you have the code alphabet set up, just choose a short passage of writing and rewrite it using the code letters from your code alphabet. (Did I explain that clearly??)

Note: What I described is how you create a cryptogram by hand. If you are asking how to create a cryptogram using a computer program, I have no clue. We solve the puzzles at this site using only our brains, eyes, and fingers. The person who built the site may be able to help you, since he does in fact use software to generate cryptograms for us to solve. You can reach him via the "Questions or Comments" box at the foot of this page.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:06 PM

There is a web site that will do it automatically for you. Look for 'create cryptogram'.