Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
That's all I need, another place to show me how slow I am. I think I will pass
What's all this about being slow? This month you're a 100% solver and you're doing it in an average of 65 seconds. If cryptos were an Olympic sport, you'd be on the team
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I tried an "easy" one yesterday and felt like an idiot. No mistakes, but it took me quite a while.
Lurker, I know how you feel - I used to be better at them too! I can only do the Moderate ones if I'm by myself, with no TV on (well, those two always go together - I never turn the TV on if no one else is home). In contrast, though I'm no whiz at cryptos, I can do them along with other distractions.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 PM

I do about any other type of puzzle except sudoku. I'm not a numbers person. If it's a word puzzle, I'm probably on it. Don't do a lot of logic puzzles; not enough patience. But yeah, this is the most "social" of the Baron sites. (Even if I don't log in on a regular basis, I still read posts.)
Old 02-11-2014, 06:00 PM

Sudoku is a logic puzzle. Numbers are just the symbols. I see them all the time with letters. But if you don't like logic puzzles, then you wouldn't like it anyway.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Have you ever tried KenKen? It's a non-repeating grid like Sudoku, but you use math to fill in the numbers. The New York Times has them every day.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
What's all this about being slow? This month you're a 100% solver and you're doing it in an average of 65 seconds. If cryptos were an Olympic sport, you'd be on the team
thanks for the vote of confidence Barnabas, but I doubt cryptos would be a team sport, and this month, I am not even close to making the top 20 fastest. while it's true that I would be faster if I wasn't so determined to solve 100 % , I would not have as much fun. for me, any less than 100 % is just not an option. not trying to take away from those who choose to pass on the harder ones, if you are having fun, that's all that counts.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 PM

Mike, that last bit you wrote was so well said. The competition keeps it interesting, but ultimately we are all here to have some fun. Our biggest "competitor" will always be ourselves.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 AM

Universalmom, I have tried ken-ken. We have them in the paper daily. I'm not all that good at it. My dad made out a reference cheat-sheet with all possible combinations (we're all a little ocd around here), but I prefer things I can solve without too many notes.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 AM

Lurker, I scribble factor trees on anything I can find. When my daughter was little, she said, "Mom, is that Chinese?"
Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 AM

Default what other puzzles do you do

I tried the logic puzzles too, and am not having much success! Patchwords is kind of fun and pretty challenging, doesn't seem too popular (people don't seem to play that often) but I like it and am already in the top 20 because of lack of interest in the game! lol