Forum

Old 03-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Nothing escaped me

You made your point in an ugly, unneccessary way. There are plenty of misogynistic quotes that I don't like, so I mark them as offensive. I prefer to play the game without censorship. Posting other offensive quotes to make a point is being hypocritical, hurtful, and full of hate. BTW, I change the channel when Ann Coulter is on.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:35 PM

Default jdege

"I find censorship to be offensive, and would be offended should any quotes be removed from this site simply because someone was offended by them."

Then if the truly revolting quotes in my one post (or even worse things) should be put as cryptograms on this site, they should be left?

General principle (in most of western society) is that hate speech is not protected. One person's right to free speech ends when it encroaches on another person's right to a safe and secure life. Far too often, more serious anti-semitic acts start with mildly anti-semitic statements and escalate from there.

You may think what you wish, and may say what you wish, however hateful, on any number of forums, on-line and off. This is an entertainment site, and quotes which disparage any group of people, whether racial, national, religious, or whatever, has no place on this site. JMHO
Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Hate speech....

I'm a lawyer, and I've got to tell you that Disraeli quote is hardly hate speech, and it doesn't threaten you in any way. How about this: "Lord, confound this surly sister, blight her brow with blotches blister, cramp her larynx, lung and liver, in her guts a galling give her." J. M. Synge .... maybe just s little hateful toward women? If we start purging quotes from this site, there is won't be any left. Someone would be offended by "Mary had a little lamb...." Women's rights groups because she only got a lamb and not a cow, and PETA because there was an animal in a subservient position.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Default smoochie

Yes, I am full of hate, when I see or hear a group of people being disparaged. If I am a part of the group being disparaged, I am also defensive. When I hear my religion being belittled, I take offense. I also take offense at other religions and their adherents being demeaned. Do I go overboard in my response? Sometimes.

However offensive the quotes I used, I was arguing ideas and principles. I did not engage in personal attacks or name calling. Maybe you should take a hard look in the mirror.

Peace,
Jack
Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Tony

The Disraeli quote is pretty mild as anti-semitic remarks go, but it is still anti-semitic. Ain't just me what thinks so, but when Ann Coulter made a similar remark, lots of folks seemed to think so.

As a lawyer, you understand that there are lots of gray areas in human behavior and human actions. For the protection of various parts of society, lines must still be drawn, and then we can argue over the gray areas.

I do not want to strip the site of any quotes, any more than I want the truly revolting quotes that I brought up to be on the site. Where do we draw the line? How do we decide what belongs here and what does not? G-d knows there is plenty of free speech in our society, and plenty of people making very revolting remarks. Can we not have a few refuges from the turmoil and just have some inoffensive entertainment?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:19 PM

Default Ann Coulter...

Comparing Ann Coulter to Disraeli is a stretch unto itself.... she makes all sorts of outrageous comments, which I won't deal with here. She does it because it gets her publicity and she sells books. So it is a marketing scheme, and nothing else. There is a difference to be made concerning quotes attributed to a person who lived in the past, and statements which are made to influence people, or to sway opinion. I don't see anything on this site which could be interpretted as being "persuasive" to any particular religion or philosophy. It is just a bunch of quotes from real people, or unattributed sayings. I would say that the only remedy you have about a quote you find to be really offensive is to ask that it be removed. Otherwise, what is the point? We know you are offended. But now what? The remark by Disraeli is just his opinion. So what? It doesn't change anything about what you believe or don't believe. It doesn't change my opinion about anything. I doubt anyone is out there saying to themselves: "Gosh, Disraeli thought Christianity was the fulfillment of Judaism, I think I will become a Christian!" I just can't imagine that happening. When I was first on the site, I ran into a quote, "Let him who is without sin, cast the first stone." It was written as "unattributed". Of course it is from the New Testament. But in the end, what difference does it make? This is only an entertainment site, not a philosphical or religious site. There are several quotes from Thomas Kempis who was a 15th century monk who wrote "The Imitation of Christ". The quotes on this site are from that book. But they are only attirbuted to Thomas Kempis, with no mention that they are from the "Imitation of Christ". So what? I suppose if it were properly referenced, some might find that offensive. One thing: I have run into some quotes that have led me to research various philosophers and authors. And what's up with all the Irish Murdoch quotes? I thought it was Iris Murdoch,

Last edited by TONY BOY : 03-23-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:09 AM

Default Tony

I made a comment on another thread about Irish Murdoch versus Iris Murdoch. Another person said it was a widespread mistake, pulling in a link from another site with Iris's name incorrect. I guess that makes it okay, at least in his or her mind.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maradnu View Post
I made a comment on another thread about Irish Murdoch versus Iris Murdoch. Another person said it was a widespread mistake, pulling in a link from another site with Iris's name incorrect. I guess that makes it okay, at least in his or her mind.
Do a bit of googling. She's called "Irish Murdoch" consistently, by a great many people who were quite familiar with her and her work - including a number of her biographers.

"Irish Murdoch" doesn't seem to be a mistake, but rather a name she was widely known by.

Last edited by jdege : 03-23-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY BOY View Post
The remark by Disraeli is just his opinion.
Actually, no. The remark by Disraeli is an opinion expressed by a character in one of Disraeli's novels. That he wrote a character who believed it doesn't mean that he believed it.

Was Samuel Clemens a racist, because he wrote novels with characters who expressed racist beliefs?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:22 AM

Default jdege

I googled "Iris Murdoch" and got 503,000 hits. I googled "Irish Murdoch and got 2,290 hits. I get 4,080 hits on "Iris Murdock". All I can say is that typos happen. Do 2,290 typos make something right? I can get 13,200 hits on "Steeley Dan", does that make that right?

Haven't we about beaten the other to death?