Forum

Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 PM

Switching people like that, at an early age, can lead to dyslexia and other learning disabilities. I tend to believe that's why the rate of dyslexia is higher in lefties. It wouldn't affect a young adult or older person as much if they had to switch due to injury or stroke. It would be very frustrating, though.

As far as I know, Western countries don't actively switch kids anymore. Don't know about the rest of the world.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 AM

Default Lefties!

Lefty here too. I've never been encouraged or forced to be a right handed person, but growing up in the 60's there weren't as many left-handed options, ie: scissors and school desks that wrapped around to the right, so I've always been a lefty in a righty world.
I believe that seeing everything through the mirror as it were, has caused me to be a spatial dyslexic. When I look at you straight on, in my mind, my left is your left. I also have a very hard time following linear directions.
But although I don't post on the forum here, I see many of your names over and over and over and I've been coming here for years to do crytograms
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Default Thanx for posting!

Maddy, thanx for posting in this forum. Maybe soon you'll be a regular in the forums and in the chat room. I am a little younger than you, but I also had a hard time being a lefty in school. The lefty scissors were so dull and awful, I just hacked away with the regular scissors. To this day, although I now own some really great lefty scissors, I cut terribly - all jagged!
Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM

Welcome Maddy. I also hope that you become a regular here and in the chat box. By the way, have you noticed that your avatar also seems to be a lefty?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 AM

Default Lefties

I'm a leftie (also a leftist, not that it matters).

Some things I've learned to do with either hand, though I still don't write well right handed - never worth the time to develop the skill at that, I suppose.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 PM

Like Maddy, I'm a newbie and a leftie! I was born in the mid '60s so wasn't forced or even asked to switch. My sister and I are both lefties and my parents are both righties. I did however go to a very small school and was the only leftie in my class. When it came to learning cursive, it was "just do what they're doing, but with your other hand". My handwriting is terrible.

I'm slightly ambidextrous, where my sister is a strict leftie. I type with both hands (I grew up playing piano), but mouse right-handed. I golf and swing a softball bat left-handed. In my mind's eye, though, I picture myself shooting a gun right-handed, even though every time I have shot a gun, I'm quite sure it was left-handed. It's been many many years.

I found some music score software that allows you to enter the notes using the keyboard, and it's great because A-G are all on the left hand, as are most of the software shortcuts. It saves tons of time that way.

Anyway, sorry for being long-winded!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 PM

I'm a lefty too (and new).
Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM

Default hey, wolfie--

welcome to the group---be sure to also check out the chat box, for assorted information and silliness!