Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Quilter-in-Charge

Default What Got You Started With Cryptograms

The newspaper cryptoquips were my first introduction and I was hooked right away. While I'm not bad at crossword puzzles, I was always a bit thrown because I think I like the patterns of words and I'm good at recognizing those patterns. In part, I'm a speech language pathologist because I have a love for language and speech, reading, writing, spelling (yes, spelling) and words in general. Cryptograms are just fun patterns to me. I bought many cryptogram books over the years and the ones I always liked best were those that had quotes. The ones that were super-challenging, such as tongue twisters, or ones where the words all started with the same letter, or contained obscure words, were not my forte' and I still don't enjoy them. So many wonderful people on this site and such fun.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 PM

I started with the newspaper cryptoquips and later started buying the Penny Press books of cryptograms. Then, several years ago I couldn't fin them at the store so I looked online and found this site.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 PM

I got a codebreaking book out of the library when I was a kid and then started doing the cryptogram in the daily newspaper or puzzle books. I've always loved any kind of word puzzles. Cryptograms have just the right combination of literary quotes with analytical pattern recognition. It got tedious to do them with pencil and paper though - that's why this site is so addictive!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 AM

I've been doing crosswords all my life. The cryptograms in the newspaper have always been fun to me but a distant second to the crossword until I tried cryptograms online. It's something about not having to fill in all of the letters, just once each as you get them, that makes the experience so much more enjoyable. Doing them by hand is like work. Also, it is rewarding to see how much easier it gets with time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martayela View Post
I would be interested to know why each of you are so interested in solving Cryptograms.
For me it was in my Senior English class in high school where our assignment was to read Edgar Allen Poe's "Gold Bug" (a cryptogram was introduced here). I was fascinated by this idea and have been solving Cryptograms ever since (and I won't even tell you how many years that has been, lol)....
Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Sparkle Plenty

Thumbs up Crossword Puzzle Books

My family has always played scrabble and done crossword puzzles. One day, in line at the grocery store with my mom, I decided to buy Variety Puzzles by Penny Press (using my own $$$$). I loved the cryptograms more than all the rest. Years later, I googled Cryptograms and have been here ever since. Well, except when I had my hissy fit.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 AM

Default Interest in cryptograms

My dad got me started with word puzzles at an early age, and I went on to be an English teacher for 30 years working with words for a living!. As soon as I retired, I started having time to do word puzzles again! I always did them on paper, but this online playing is so cool. I still like doing them on paper too! I'm relatively new to it online, but so far, it's enjoyable!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

LLL, you had a hissy?!!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM

I can't remember a time when I didn't love language and language learning. Especially languages with different alphabets, like Russian or Hebrew and Arabic. Learning to decipher a new writing system is as much fun as decoding words in English.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Years later, I googled Cryptograms and have been here ever since. Well, except when I had my hissy fit.

I have to believe that you must have started a quote... got called away to a phone call or something... forgot you'd started a puzzle and then logged off. The odds of you not solving a puzzle you've begun are about the same as me being struck by lightning... if I'm standing on Mars. Whatever it was that happened, you had a right to your grief and your time away. But I am glad to see that flippy fish climbing the monthly ladder again each month. It belongs there. Welcome back.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Sparkle Plenty

Angry Thanks

I wasn't my usual hyper-vigilant self