Forum

Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Default In Memory of Pootie

Hello cryptogram solvers,

It is with great sadness that I write to let you know that our dear friend, Donna, known on the site as Pootie, passed away peacefully after a long and valiant fight against cancer. Those of you who have been long time members of the site will remember her for her wonderful sense of humor and the fun games that she created for us in the forum. She was always there to help whenever one of us got stuck on a quote and was usually one of the first members to welcome new players to the site. Those of you who were not fortunate enough to have known her will no doubt have seen her many witty comments on the quotes and some of her numerous posts in the forum. When she first became ill, she asked me to include one of her favorite poems in the memoriam that she knew that I would write, so I have copied the text here for you.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Dear Donna, you were taken away from us much too soon. Your pain and suffering have ended, and now you must journey on without us. We said our tearful good-byes a long time ago, and I will miss you. You will always hold a special place in my heart, and I will never forget how much your friendship meant to me. May you have eternal peace. Love you lots, Lilybug
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 AM

Lily,

That is a truly beautiful tribute to Donna....our "Pootie"... whose comments and great advice still live on here in Cryptogram-land, and will be of value to those who didn't have the opportunity to chat with her while she was still able to do so. She watched the "chat" until her vision was so limited that it was impossible for her to continue.

I know I'm not the only one who will miss her wit, charm, knowledge and great sense of adventure! She initiated some wonderfully fun games and a few fantastical story-lines that many of us had so much fun adding to...it makes me smile to remember them!!

She was always the first to welcome all new members, and loved to give them plenty of encouragement. She also made it a point to say "happy birthday" on everyone's special day.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bansaisequoia
Default Pootsie Wootsie

That girl thought I was always a thorn in her side, but I loved her like a big sister.
She kicked me in the balls at a time when I was down, but she reconciled with
me. If I ever had a bad thing to say about her, it was only because I felt extreme
depression. Donna never realized that I was a manic depressive schizoid. I hope
she will forgive me, that I needed to take Zoloft and Xanax to cope with everything.
I hope all you cryptogrammers can forgive me.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Oh Joseph, Donna would have been the first one to laugh and clap you on the butt like you WERE her little brother!!! She had such an IMMENSE response to our shared "human condition"... if anyone knew we all had faults, it was "Pootie"....but she still held people in her heart. A good lesson for all of us to remember.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM

Default wow.

i'm so sorry for your loss, lily h, and all of you who were her friends. i was just getting acquainted with her recently, so it seems rather shocking that she's gone.
and bansai, some of us are in similar "boats", so don't worry (smile). we should all be patient with each other.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Even before she was ill, Pootie was never afraid to speak her mind. That may have alienated many players, while at the same time making them jealous of her frankness. She knew that life is too short not to be yourself, since you are the one you have to live with. Her insight will be missed.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear of this. After joining, I started to go back and reread other posts in other topics. In reading some of these, she reminded me of a dear friend on another (now defunct) discussion board. Many of Pootie's comments sounded like something my friend would have said.

The best tribute we can have is to continue to "hug" each other when needed and to "kick your keister" when needed.

And, bansaisequoia, personally I don't see the need for you to apologize for anything...you were sick, you're receiving treatment, and as long as you keep receiving treatment, all's well. (My husband is bipolar, Mom has depression/anxiety, so I fully understand!)

Love to all.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Most of us long-time players knew this day was coming, but it is still unbelievably sad. I remember several years ago telling her to put on her big girl panties and call the dentist after she mentioned having a very bad toothache in the chat room. As it turned out, that was just about the least of her problems. I was amazed that she lasted as long as she did and was at least able to make the occasional chat room appearance for as long as she did. Rest in Peace, Pootie. And thank you, LilyH, for letting us know.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Quilter-in-Charge

Default Farewell Pootie

I knew one day I would log on to see this sad news and I dreaded it. Pootie, you are missed. Lily, peace be with you. Bansai, never apologize for who you are -- we all have our challenges and most of us cannot know the true suffering of our friends. To all my friends on the site, stay well and happy.

Vicki
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 AM

Default Pootie will be missed

Pootie was indeed the first to welcome me on this site.
She was a lot of fun to chat with and her pm's were always worth reading.
She had a way of interacting with everybody and I always looked forward to seeing her posts.