Forum

Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Default Lefties!

Hi Everybody,

I saw some comments beside a cryptogram that I had solved that led me to thinking...
How many of you cryptogrammers are lefties?
I'm wondering if there is a higher percentage of lefties on this site than you would find in the general public.
Just for the record, yes, I am a lefty, as are my husband, 3 of our kids, my mother-in-law, sister-in-law and 2 of my brothers-in-law. So my family is heavy on the south paws. Thus the curiosity, I guess.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 PM

Default Yo!

Here's another one. (And my crypto-twin, Lurker)

Qwerty keyboards favor lefties, with most of the often-used letters on the left hand. Perhaps that's part of our speed in online cryptos.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 PM

I'm not sure I agree with that Lurker. I'm right-handed, but I only type with my left hand when solving cryptograms.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 AM

Default My 2 cents

If I remember my history of the typewriter correctly, the original mechanical design had the keys in alphabetical order. It wasn't long before typists became so adept and fast (bansai-ed?) that these early models kept jamming as the returning typebars could not get out of the way of subsequent type bars.

The QWERTY arrangement was designed specifically for left-handed people and since there weren't many left-handed typists (momof7's family notwithstanding), this forced the right-handers to slow down and reduce thr frequency of jamming.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 AM

@gryhnd - If you type left-handed, maybe you're a secret lefty! Although I play most sports right-handed, and I'm most definitely a lefty.

The secret test is which leg goes first when you put on pants or shoes? It should be the opposite one of your dominant side. Ergo, lefty=right leg first.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 AM

I agree with Greyhound. I'm definitely right-handed, but I do most of my cryptogram typing with my left hand. That's so that I have my right hand free to use the mouse instead of tabbing to letters. I find it much faster to click a letter box with the mouse than to tab tab tab to the letter box I want. Once I have the quote figured out, I type with both hands.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM

not necessarily, lurkersmurf---i'm a strong righty, and lead with my right foot when doing just about everything---i can't imagine putting on my left shoe first!
i just googled it, and the results i saw were mixed.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 AM

How interesting!

I'm right-handed and use both hands while typing and playing this game - (although I am constantly having to correct myself for typos.)

Anyhow, the pants/shoes thing is intriguing. In skateboarding, surfing, and snowboarding there is a thing called goofy-foot. It refers to one who "leads" with their right foot - those that lead with the left are called regular.

I've only snowboarded once, but one has to be fitted for their stance and your boots are snapped onto the board. Anyhow, I figured I would be regular. I turns out I'm goofy. The whole day I kept spinning around in circles. I've since realized that if I hop on a skateboard, I naturally want to lead with my right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footedness
Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 AM

that particular wiki site seemed only to be about footedness, with no relationship to handedness.
i was once a super-speedy typist (100+ wpm), but now, due to disability, spend much of my time lying on my side, propped on left elbow, typing with my right hand. this does not promote speed or accuracy, but i still have fun!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 PM

Oh, yeah, I was referring to what LurkerSmurf had posted - I thought is was interesting.