Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

View Poll Results: Which method do you prefer for dealing with repeat letter usage?
Automatic Replacement (option 1) 30 25.42%
Visual Indication (option 2) 34 28.81%
Leave it the Heck Alone! (as-is) 54 45.76%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 PM

Red face completion times in the comments section

I've noticed lately that there is a newer player who seems to be posting their completion time in the comments section - there's just the player's name and 52 secs., or whatever.

I don't think the comments area is a good place for this person's record keeping, as, if everybody started doing the same, the comments would become cluttered with completion times.

However, I do see and understand what this player is doing - which is to keep track of their personal achievements. I kind of like the idea, just not in the comments section, but then there's really no other way to do it.

Perhaps there is some way to add a feature which would track a player's personal information, just for that player to see?

Hmmm, I don't know enough about web sites to know if this would be possible...

Last edited by chopstix : 04-17-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 PM

leave it the way it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Hi folks -

A common request for cryptograms.org is to make it so that a user can't use the same letter twice on the same puzzle. Right now the system will allow you to make A into T and B into T, and won't show you there's an error. Some find this annoying because the error often won't become apparent until they hit submit.

I'm working on two fixes for this, and would like your input on which you feel is most beneficial (and least intrusive) for gameplay. You can try out the two options via the urls given below, but note that these urls are STILL TIED INTO COMPETITION. If you want to test them out and are worried the change in gameplay may affect your solve times, be sure to log out first before trying any of these test urls.

First option: If a letter is re-used, it is placed into the new box(es) and automatically removed from all previous placements. (If A was already T, and you mark B as now also being T, all A's will revert to blanks.) No warning or error message acknowledges the change.

Test this at: http://www.cryptograms.org/play8.php

Second option: If a letter is re-used, all previous placements of that same letter are shaded in pink to give visual indication of the double-usage. But both old and new placements retain the same letter - the user must make a decision to remove one or the other manually.

Test this at: http://www.cryptograms.org/play9.php

I'm including a poll on this thread to allow you to vote for your preferred method - either "Auto Replacement" (1st option), "Visual Indication" (2nd option) or "Leave it the Heck Alone" (if you prefer things as they are).

Thanks for your input!

Stephen
Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 AM

Default Option #2

Please don't go with option #1.
Just because I've doubled up a letter accidentally, doesn't mean I prefer to remove the first one. Shading it in in pink would be a lot more helpful.
I'm also fine with leaving things the way they are.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 PM

I like visual indication. Thanks for asking.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Default New feature - input needed!

I like the visual indication as well
Old 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM

Default ?

is this 2+-year-old poll still active?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 AM

I think it is fine the way it is. You might consider making it a "preference" setting so it could be turned off or on.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Let's not keep reopening old threads.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:08 PM

what's the harm?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM

I belong to a lot of forums, and they all have rules against re-opening old threads after a certain amount of time, especially if it's been discussed. New content, not rehashing old content.