Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to abracadebra

I started solving Cryptogram's from magazine puzzle books at my nearby superstore market, and now, well "My name is Debbie, and I am a cryptoholic!" lol's
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 AM

I started buying puzzle books over 40 years ago, mostly because I loved crossword puzzles. I skipped over the cryptograms for many years, fearing that I just wouldn't be able to solve them. I finally got up the nerve to give it a whirl and instantly became enamored of the whole process of deduction. But those darned numbers puzzles still elude me, and I'm in awe of anyone who can do suduko (is that even how you spell it???)
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Like several of the others here, I started doing the daily "Cryptoquote" in the daily paper I subscribe to. I eventually stumbled onto this website, and of the few cryptogram websites I've been to, this one is the best organized and most fun. And with the message board/forum (that the others don't have) I've found that the vast majority of the participants here are people I enjoy having something in common with.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM

When I was in grade school, my neighbor ran a beauty shop and she bought crossword magazines. After a while, she would get new ones and gave them to me. I was always whipping through other puzzles. Then one day I decided to try a cryptogram...and got hooked.

I have to admit that I take spells when all I want to do is cryptograms, and then all of a sudden I wouldn't touch one if my life depended on it.

Thanks for letting me come play with you guys. I think we'll have fun together.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 AM

gryhnd51, it's sudoku, and it's really easy and super-fun if you start with the easy ones and have good instructions!

welcome, winechick!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Default how you got started in cryptograms

Uncle Sam.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM

I loved reading The Gold Bug as a kid, and I would have to say that was also my first introduction to cryptograms. I guess you'll have to share any royalties from "The Life and Cryptography of Martayela" with me.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 AM

I started doing them in the newspaper too. I first started in the mid 1970s,

When we first came on-line in the late 90s, one of the first things I looked for was a
site just like this, but I couldn't find one. Years later, I tried again and found The Baron.
I hate to admit how addicted I am to the cryptograms.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 PM

in short, my Mom. We have always been a puzzle and game kind of family growing up and this was and still is my Mom's favorite kind of puzzle. Now I'm passing it on to my kids
Old 06-18-2013, 02:45 PM

Default cypto lover

I started doing search word puzzles when I was in junior high. My oldest brother used to give me the puzzles from one of his classes because he didn't like to do them. After high school I bought a lot of word search puzzles. After a while I got bored because they were too easy and would take about a week to finish a book. I tried crossword puzzles but I wasn't good at them. I think I discovered cryptograms in the local paper. I started buying books of them and it was really fun. Every time I went to the store it seemed like there was less books and magazines on cryptograms, I think sodoku puzzles took most of the business.One day I wanted to see if there any cryptograms online so I started looking around and found a few of them. Baron's is without a doubt the best because it has great quotes to solve and a great competition.I have learned to solve cryptograms better than when I started or else my success rate would have been much higher.