i refer you to stop being a doubter and realize that even i
had set 1150 records faster than bansai at one time
(merde)

check the link....doubts be gone!!!!

sighhhhhhh
rolls eyes
Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 PM

Default Reality (finally) sinks in.

This probably won't convince the naysayers or end the myth, but here is my story.

I played as a guest for many months and noticed the prevalence of "bansaisequoia" as the record holder for many puzzles. My first thought was that bansaisequoia was actually a group of people working in collaboration since so many records were "his". Naturally I had also hypothesized about some type of computer program being the actual record holder.

When I started playing as a competitor, I finally worked up the courage to enter the chat box and exchange PMs with some of the other players. The evidence garnered from these exchanges would not support my previous hypotheses. I had to follow the evidence that led to the conclusion that bansaisequoia was indeed a single HUMAN individual of amazing skills. Enviable skills to be certain, but HUMAN skills nonetheless.

I also found him (and many other players, especially Pootie) to be a true friend who shared many of my idiosyncracies and eccentricities. Is he fiendishly fast? Damn straight he is! But so are many other players who have often beaten his records (and have had a brick returned to them).

Anyone who has ever followed one of the many public chats between Bansai and myself cannot help but notice the usually quick (when our schedules coincide) repartee the demonstrates cognizant, and sometimes bizarre, abilities that no computer program has been able to yet imitate. The phrase is "cogito, ergo sum"; not "computare, ergo sum".

Bansai, Pootie, Iltquilt, Carrot, Barnabas, Lily, Lurker, Fredsevant, Shivan, and many, many others, you have my friendship and respect.

Monty
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyb View Post
Bansai, Pootie, Iltquilt, Carrot, Barnabas, Lily, Lurker, Fredsevant, Shivan, and many, many others, you have my friendship and respect.

Monty
Monty -
That I would be included in this list is both humbling and touching. Know, too, that I consider you a distant friend somewhere out there on the landscape known as the internet. I occasionally put my foot in it a little when I make attempts at humor by commenting on some of the quotes ( I can think of one, especially, in which I wished I had just moved on to the next quote ), and in hindsight have kicked myself once or twice. Considering Lincoln's quote about opening one's mouth and removing all doubt as to one's foolishness, I do appreciate that you would include me in your last post.

einsmallstein wrote:
Quote:
There is now way he is just using his eyes and brains... humanly impossible
Bansai's daytime job is that of television actor (not a lot of people know that, and I'm almost sure Bansai will deny it). He plays a DVM on NBC's Animal Practice, which airs Wednesday nights. If you've ever seen the show, you'll know then that he always carries a little monkey on his shoulder - named "Rizzo." Rizzo is with him at all times, and it is Rizzo who types in the vowels while Bansai punches in the consonants. Poor Rizzo - only gets a banana whenever they set a record.

Last edited by Barnabas : 10-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Monty,

"Some of the most rewarding and beautiful moments of a friendship happen in the unforeseen open spaces between planned activities." ~ Christine Leefeldt

Thank you : )
Old 10-27-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyb View Post
This probably won't convince the naysayers or end the myth, but here is my story.

Monty
Thanks, Monty

Golly, I too am humbled to be (erroneously) included in such a list. Perhaps I should visit the chat room more often (and maybe leave my more cantankerous self elsewhere)?

And as for Bansai, well he does do a few things to help his times in addition to being very good. His browser/computer is clearly better than mine for on those rare occasions when I attempt to type as fast as his video demonstrates, I have problems with the letters being properly assigned. Also, he is a premium member and well, he knows how to type (I've keyboarded every day for 30 years and still can't type very well - it's hopeless). I've estimated this gives him a 5-8 second edge on every puzzle which means his time still beats mine over 99% of the time, but if speed is your thing you should do as he does - and play 20-30 thousand puzzles.

And for what it's worth, I just jumped in and started competing here from my first puzzle although it would be fair to say I've worked a few cryptograms prior to joining this site.

fredsevent
Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bansaisequoia
Default fax

(in reference to bansaisequoia)
Quote:
Also, he is a premium member
This just in from our Faux News Fact Checker: bansaisequoia has refused to provide any verification of ever having been a premium member. Site administrator Stephen has been curiously silent on this issue. Everything about bansaisequoia is suspect!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Quilter-in-Charge

Default Auspicious List of Solvers!

Monty,

I am honored to be included in the list of internet friends. Early in the morning, taking a break for lunch, after a long day of therapy (my husband says that I play all day for a living -- partially true, although it is play with a purpose), or any time on the weekend, I look forward to getting on the site, sometimes to solve, but sometimes just to check to see who is chatting and/or who is solving. It is comforting to see the familiar names, many of whom I feel I know just a little bit. Thanks to those who have helped me when I've been stuck; thanks for all the encouragement. Seeing the fastest solves on puzzles is inspiring for me.

Bansai, for what it's worth, I have never doubted that you are a real person.

I've solved cryptograms for nearly thirty years, but only the last 14 months on this site (my only internet crypto site). There's no bragging involved here -- I'm just trying to keep what brain cells I have from dying off too quickly (while still enjoying a nice glass of wine with dinner, thus destroying aforementioned brain cells).

Iltquilt
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootie49 View Post
OH allow me....

ahem, i refer you to this page

http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/showthread.php?t=669

i refer you to the word no as opposed to the word now

i refer you to stop being a doubter and realize that even i
had set 1150 records faster than bansai at one time
(merde)

check the link....doubts be gone!!!!

sighhhhhhh
rolls eyes
Ummm . . . When referring to one's self, I believe it's proper to use upper-case "I." I also believe that sentences usually start with upper-case letters. I think that even the French among us know that.

An accidental "w" at the end of a "no," is a much easier read than sentence after sentence beginning with lower-case letters -- especially when the writer of said sentences is correcting a single letter's error. Just sayin'.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 AM

For your information, Pootie is very seriously ill, and it takes great effort on her part to even get up out of bed these days. I believe it's much easier for her to type in all lower case letters without punctuation. Before you give her unasked for grammar lessons, you should know a bit more about her and what she has been going through these past two years. You might want to read some of the old forum posts about her illness. We are lucky that she is still with us and able to drop by occasionally to chat and post in the forum.

Last edited by Lily H : 10-30-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 AM

Talking

I think it's sweet when people defend others. I also think that correctors can be corrected. If it hurts to see someone we care for being corrected, then perhaps we should refrain from correcting others. Perhaps you should learn a little more about me before you suggest that I learn a bit more about someone else.

Have a good game, and be well.