Forum

Old 09-22-2012, 07:00 AM

Unhappy quotations out of context

This time it's Obama on Lincoln. If you get that puzzle, search the web for the context. Bad enough to find this stuff in the news: one politician taking another politician's words out of context, till the quotation speaks backwards, so to speak, from its original meaning. And repeating it near-endlessly. I don't care which end of the political spectrum it comes from: I don't like it. D*mn crummy to find it now in the cryptograms.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 AM

I think it would alleviate your level of frustration if you were to keep in mind that this is a GAME!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 AM

I don't forget that. It's the solving I like. (I don't compete, even against myself.) I do read the quotations. No game I know of could subtract meaning from the words I read. This quotation? Highly politicized, it arrives here in the midst of a fire-hot election. Campaign people are running their fingers down every line of text the candidates have spoken or written - looking for statements that will get big traction as long as they're out of context. I don't ignore that. And I did hold myself to "I don't like it" and "D*mn crummy to find it [here]." If I were counting points in this game, I'd give myself a couple extra for restraint.

It might alleviate your level of irritation to skip over comments from this username. And thanks (really) for responding to my comment.