Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 12:59 AM

Yep, just had it mess with a puzzle. I clicked on a square nowhere near the side bar, and up it came.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 AM

I started paying particular attention to it. It has a life of it's own. You don't have to roll over it. It is truly an EVIL ad.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Apologies everyone - I'm in Peru on holiday and haven't been able to check our ad suppliers. Will ask my wife to try to track it down today and cancel.

If you can please post or email me a screenshot of the ad - and the exact URL it takes you to if you click on it.

Thanks and sorry again!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 AM

Link: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Student_Offers

Photo will be posted or emailed when I figure out how to do it.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Default how to sort of avoid

It's possible to avoid this. Not "natural," but I find it's becoming easier. If you're right-handed, your mouse is likely to drift rightward while you're working the cryptogram - and you trigger a Sony ad. So be aware of this & try to keep your mouse pointer in the puzzle area. When you do trip an ad, your mouse path to & from the "x" in that ad is almost certain to run over the other ad - or over both of them again. (The phrase "ad nauseum" was made for this.) To avoid:

Top ad open? Go above it. Move *up*, over, & down to the "x." Return to the puzzle the same way (in reverse).

Side ad open? Go under it. Move *down*, over, & up to the "x." Return the same way (in reverse).

It's the route back to the puzzle that's most important. I relax when I get the ads off, then roll right back over them to the cryptogram. (This way lies madness.)

Or we could all subscribe & avoid ads altogether. Money is tight now, but I'm considering it.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 AM

i don't have a mouse--i use the touch pad--so there's no drifting occurring.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 AM

Default The sony ad was preventing me from solving the puzzle

In order to be able to finish solving the puzzle, I had to leave the cryptograms.org website - then I returned to it and clicked on "Recent Puzzles" and hit the "Retry" box, to get back to the puzzle I was working on. It took up a lot of time, but there seemed to be no other way to keep my 100% solving rate.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 AM

you don't have to leave the site---you can click directly on "recent games" and "retry" to get the puzzle on a new page.
i hate to possibly jinx myself by writing this, but i haven't come across the evil ad tonight.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 AM

i spoke too soon last night---now, instead of having the evil ad either at the top or on the side, it's double-teaming and appearing in both places at once! is sony that desperate?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 AM

Oh yeah, it's still lurking out there, I try to be careful, but then I forget about it and pop it up. I am usually able to get rid of it and don't have to go to "recent games", but it still take some time. I trip over it at least 4 or 5 times a day