Forum

Go Back   Cryptograms Forums > Cryptograms.org Discussion > Main Forum

View Poll Results: Which method do you prefer for dealing with repeat letter usage?
Automatic Replacement (option 1) 29 25.89%
Visual Indication (option 2) 31 27.68%
Leave it the Heck Alone! (as-is) 52 46.43%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM

I think it should be left as it is...I like it that it's up to me to figure out if I've used the same letter twice! The only way I'll make that mistake less and less is to have to find it myself.

Here's a feature I'd love to see though...I'm still seeing most of these quotes for the first time, and I wish I could compare my first time to everyone else's first time, in addition to the current stats. At my fastest, I'm about 3 times bansai or lurker's record time, and I'm actually pretty proud of that
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Wow, a subset of stats for the first time everyone sees a quote? I'm not even sure how to write the program for that one.

What I would love to see on that side bar where the average time is listed is the solve rate percentage.

And you SHOULD be proud of every quote you solve, regardless of the time it took. I'm happy every time I come in under the average time.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
What I would love to see on that side bar where the average time is listed is the solve rate percentage.
Do you mean the Success rate which is already there (first row)?

This Cryptogram's Statistics
Success Rate: 23.3%
Average Time: 72 seconds
Record Time: 18 seconds (Lurker)
Your Time: 39 seconds
Performance: Above Average

fred7t@aol.com
Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 AM

No, the bar on the right while you're solving the quote. It lists letter frequencies, difficulty rating, average solve time, the time you started to solve it, and a link to print.

Basically, if I saw a quote had a success rate under 10%, I wouldn't feel as bad about giving up on it. Or, maybe I'd become more determined to become one of the 10%. You never know.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
No, the bar on the right while you're solving the quote. It lists letter frequencies, difficulty rating, average solve time, the time you started to solve it, and a link to print.

Basically, if I saw a quote had a success rate under 10%, I wouldn't feel as bad about giving up on it. Or, maybe I'd become more determined to become one of the 10%. You never know.
Sorry, for my confusion. In fact, (hilariously) I've never noticed the stuff to the right at all.

fred7t@aol.com
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 AM

Default uh

what stuff tothe right??
Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 AM

The box on the right...the grey one.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Stephen, If all players old and new, are competing against each other in time and % solved, it would be unfair to the best players (who don't often designate two different letters for the unknown) to give the advantage to slower players of having the program tell them when they have made a mistake. As soon as there are two different options at a point of decision, the race course becomes easier for some players who wouldn't otherwise be able to compete with the best players. I would personally like to see the "pink" option when I am only playing against myself because it would make solving puzzles easier. If that option were available during competitive play, would give an unfair advantage to us newbies.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:53 AM

Wink Don't Change It!

Don't fix what's not broken. It works just fine. Part of the puzzle if you put the same letter in twice is to figure that out. Leave it be!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM

Just a few suggestions for future updates, should any be forthcoming:

1) A "Currently Held Records" stat on each user's My Scores page. This assumes the site won't crash when calculating Bansai's total.

2) Along side the record time on each quote page, display the date it was set.

3) Alert a user if they have unfinished puzzles from the prior two hours (once for each puzzle.

Thanks,
Steve