Forum

Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM

Question "GUEST" high scores

Hey there, Admin,

Am I mistaken, or did you (once upon a time.......... long ago) say that you were going to eliminate our guests' ability to be high scorer on a solved cryptogram? Did I just dream this?

does anyone else remember the BOSS (sorry, Bruce) saying that in an earlier thread?

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is ISN'T Bansai or his alter-ego Bonsai!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Sparkle Plenty

Default Yes

I recall the same information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryhnd51 View Post
Hey there, Admin,

Am I mistaken, or did you (once upon a time.......... long ago) say that you were going to eliminate our guests' ability to be high scorer on a solved cryptogram? Did I just dream this?

does anyone else remember the BOSS (sorry, Bruce) saying that in an earlier thread?

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is ISN'T Bansai or his alter-ego Bonsai!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:38 PM

Not only that, but Guests can use hints, giving them a several second advantage.

When I play offline to warm up, I have to solve slowly and sit around after I'm done, to make sure I don't set a record. Even then, sometimes I get in one second faster than the record. It isn't fair to the person who set it for real.

If Guests don't compete, why should they be able to set records? I see no problem with displaying their time for them to see, just don't save it.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bansaisequoia

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is [sic] ISN'T Lurker, or her alter-ego LurkerSmurf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smirker.jpg (65.5 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by bansaisequoia : 03-10-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Default still waiting for admin

Thanks for the input.....good to know that others remember also! I'm hoping that Admin will pipe in with some perspective on this issue.

On another note......if you're not busy later in the spring, will you come to NH Bansai and give me some computer-use basics? I've tried "renting" some of the neighborhood kids, but they're always busy playing with their electronic gizmos!!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Cool just kidding!

the "come to nh" bit was just teasing.....I'm jealous of bansai's wonderful and colorful use of what the net provides. For me, it's just a basic tool. When I retire I plan to learn much more about applying it.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:28 PM

If I recall correctly, what admin said was that guests would no longer be able to create record times, but the previously-held guest record times would remain until a registered user beat them. So perhaps for the ones y'all are seeing the records were previously held and no one else has beat them yet.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Angry Not yet

Sorry, Altoid. I accidently set one last week as a guest, so that hasn't been put into place yet. Maybe once this new batch goes competitive.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 AM

Thumbs up ???? Hee hee, I Did It Again ???

Hello...No one's eliminated a Guest's ability to be High Scorer yet...I just did it again. I set another record. It was by accident, but it was fun.

It was for this quote: "In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he him."
— Jethro Tull

I'm just saying.

Last edited by koru999 : 05-24-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Just cuz...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
whollycow

Default Guest High Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryhnd51 View Post
Hey there, Admin,

Sorry Guys.
I am one of those guests who occassionally get high scores. I'm just an old phart, pushing 3/4 of a century, who comes on here just to keep the brain cells working. I know that I am not smart enough to solve these things without help, or it would take me more time than my frustration level allows without getting the vowels in place. I actually feel bad when the high score thingy shows up, but then I know that some else is going to score an unbelievable score as soon as they get the chance to run the puzzle. At the same time, I really, as a former auditor/analyst, can't believe some of the scores that show up. I have theories as how it is done, but, again my frustration level forbids me from deriving the proof.
I'll just leave things as they are. Thanks for the challanges.