View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhowell89 View Post
Hello, all... I am new to python, learning the basics..and to be honest I'm not very good at it. I have an assignment where I have to create a cryptogram..I just don't know where to start. If someone can get me pointed in the right direction I can usually gain momentum and figure out the assignment. That being said, if anyone could show me an outline or a sample of a past one you've created to help me write one of my own I would appreciate it. also we use python 3. Thank you!
A cryptogram is just a piece of text where you substitute each letter in the cryptogram for a letter in the original. Every time there's an i, say, in the original, you use another letter, like x (in my example), and every time there's an a, for instance, in the original you use another letter, like r; the crucial thing is always to substitute the same letter for the all examples of one letter in the original, and not to use the same letter for two different original letters. So 'I have an assignment' would be 'x wrhj rf rddxbfojfm' (I hope I did that right!). I guess that the goal of the assignment is to figure out how to substitute one letter for another using Python, rather than paper and pencil. Good luck!