View Single Post
Old 08-03-2016, 10:21 PM

Post what is legitimately offensive and what is not.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain, 1884,The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck, 1939,To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee,Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Dee Brown, 1970, what do they all have in common?

They are wonderful examples of real american literature,(psst i read all except bury my heart i am set to read it this year.) and they all have been banned in their lifetimes,
if you have read it with a peering and literary heart you know that they are really awesome, powerful and beautiful, and unlike vampire love stories or novels of nonsense( although bram stoker's Dracula is a example of real good vampire stories) they have the power of everlasting appeal and of shaping history.

so quotes are not pieces as grand as literature, but this culture of political correctness is a slippery slope, and effect everything in my mind, from literature to quotes, to politics to have a nice day instead of god bless you.

but i believe there is a balance to everything, and i bring this discussion to the point quotes can be offensive,

I have urged the colonization of the Negroes [in Africa], and I shall continue. -Abraham Lincoln

"The only good Indians I ever saw were dead." Philip Sheridan

we as discerning, intelligent individuals should understand these differences.

well, maybe i am being patronizing!

god bless you all!!

P.S. political correctness cramps my style!