View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Default My iPhone cryptogram dictionary app got accepted!

I've been developing an iPhone app, CryptoHint, an electronic cryptogram dictionary, and it just got accepted into the Apple iTunes App Store! It's a cryptogram dictionary based on letter patterns - here are the highlights.
  • Type in a word exactly as it appears in a cryptogram puzzle - if XJFFXU is in a cryptogram, you only need to type XJFFXU instead of mentally translating it into something else like ABCCAD or 1-221-. All the words matching the letter pattern will be listed.
  • Select a word from the match list and its letters will be added to the letter substitution map. Subsequent searches will be filtered by the map.
  • You can also select individual letter substitutions to be added to the map.
  • Large dictionary of over 300,000 words, including abbreviations and acronyms, American and British spellings, and proper names.

I've been using CryptoHint to help me solve the cryptograms here. At first I needed help with every puzzle, but as I got more practice I found I got better, to the point where I usually don't need my own app! Still can't solve a cryptogram in under 20 seconds like so many folks seem to be doing, but now if I can solve it without resorting to CryptoHint (typing individual cryptogram words on the iPhone screen can be slow), my times are usually under 2 minutes.

Please visit the CryptoHint website for details, examples and screenshots. I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions.

http://bersalonatechnologies.com/iPh...oHintHome.html