Cryptograms Forums

Cryptograms Forums (http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/index.php)
-   Main Forum (http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What inspired your name? (http://www.cryptograms.org/forum/showthread.php?t=737)

universalmom 02-02-2014 09:27 PM

What inspired your name?

Based on some very interesting comments on another thread (mikehallbackhoe's "question for fast solvers"), it seems that a lot of us are intrigued by each other's screen names! For those who are willing to share, what inspired your choice of name?

Mine is a nickname given to me by my oldest son. He says that his friends, and especially his girlfriends, all adopt me as a second mom. He also laughs at how often I'm out somewhere, and I feel a little hand on my knee, and I look down to see someone else's child holding onto my leg :) I take this nickname as an affectionate compliment from my young-adult son, and it makes me happy...that's why I chose it!

mikehallbackhoe 02-02-2014 09:40 PM

mine is easy, my name is mike hall, and I have a backhoe business

fredsevent 02-02-2014 10:53 PM

Wow. My working hypothesis was correct for both of you. For me, I was setting up an email account and wanted it to be short so I tried fred (already taken), then fred7 (already taken), then fred7t -- not taken. However, when I registered at a site to play games, fred7t was taken. Sooooooo, I spelled it out - 7 became seven - and I started using fredsevent. Utterly boring story, eh?

Annamariah 02-02-2014 11:20 PM

The story of my username is pretty boring too. My first name is Anna, my middle name is Maria, and my last name begins with an H.

gryhnd51 02-02-2014 11:28 PM

Mine is also rather simple. When I first joined, we were on our 2nd rescued greyhound. I look forward to having another one some day, but for now we are "parents" to a min-poodle named Drama! She's much smarter than any of our greys and her name is totally appropriate.

universalmom 02-03-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredsevent (Post 5950)
Wow. My working hypothesis was correct for both of you. For me, I was setting up an email account and wanted it to be short so I tried fred (already taken), then fred7 (already taken), then fred7t -- not taken. However, when I registered at a site to play games, fred7t was taken. Sooooooo, I spelled it out - 7 became seven - and I started using fredsevent. Utterly boring story, eh?

My hypothesis for you was way off! I read it as "fred's event"

damsel22 02-03-2014 08:06 AM

What inspired your name?

Mine came from the fact that when I met my finance, I knew I had finally found the "Knight in Shining Armor" I was searching for, so immediately he became my Knight, and I became his damsel. The Knight's power gives him a capital K, and the damsel gets a small d. The number two is his favorite, and we're both into numerology where 22 is a higher power number than 2 - so... damsel22.

abra 02-03-2014 11:56 AM

I too always thought and read Fred's Event.

The other's I kind of guessed at, and was right, so far.

Years ago, I read the poem Abra, and I was going to name our next dog Abra. At the last minute we called her Misty.

When we came on line, I used Abra as a user name at several sights.

Oh, and since there are questions about some players, I am female:) .

Lurker 02-03-2014 01:15 PM

I played as a Guest for several months before deciding I was good enough to compete. Mostly, I wanted credit for breaking one of bansai's records. Lurker was because I was here for games, and had no intention of socializing. One day, the chat box was wondering if I was male or female, so I started to contribute (female, for those keeping score). The meaning behind the user name kind of went out the window after that.

My alter-ego, Lurker Smurf, is because I like the smurfs and thought it was a cute name. It has since become my online persona, even having its own email account and it is the name I use on my blog.

montyb 02-03-2014 04:41 PM

I always liked the name "Monty". Not because of Monty Python, but for the same reason the Pythons chose Monty; it sounded like the kind of mate you could have a pint with at any pub. The real Monty of the family is our beagle (see my profile page). I am therefore the "B" version. Hence, Montyb.

This is a fun thread.