PDA

View Full Version : 100 percenters anonymous

mikehallbackhoe
09-12-2015, 09:51 PM
for those who are addicted to solving all cryptograms, we need a support group to help us get over this addiction. the first step is to admit you have a problem, and I will gladly be the first to confess. To determine how bad the addiction is, we need to identify the symptoms. I have compiled some questions to determine how serious your addiction is. How much time are you willing to spend on a puzzle? Do you quit for the month if you lose your 100% rating? To what lengths have you gone to solve a puzzle? who holds the record for longest time to solve a puzzle? Don't be afraid to comment, confession is part of the healing process.

Barnabas
09-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Q1: More time than I used to. I never thought I'd get to the point where I would believe I might be able to contend for a 100% solve month. But in August I missed only 3 (out of more than 500 solved), and this month (for the moment) I'm still at 100%.
Q2: No, I don't quit. I've never had a 100% month yet, but I'm starting to believe it could happen.
Q3: To what lengths have I gone...? Waterboarding... Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to admit that to anyone.
Q4: With the new 24 hour time limit to solve, I have solved a few puzzles the following day after having abandoned them in frustration the day before. That jacks up the time solve average, as many of us have experienced. I'm still on the slower side rather than the faster, but (thus far) this month have had no overnighters.

abra
09-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Wonderful topic, Mike. It will be nice to see into the brain of a "100 percenter".

mikehallbackhoe
09-13-2015, 01:03 PM
thanks Abra, your comment about giving up after 4 minutes got me to thinking. after 4 minutes, i'm just getting warmed up. for me, 100% is not an option, I have to know what that quote says, even though I know it won't be worth the effort. kind of like listening to a long joke just to hear the punchline

Annamariah
09-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Having always been a bit of a perfectionist (or just plain stubborn), it didn't take very long before I decided I'd go for 100 percent. The time the site crashed and left me with an unsolved puzzle, I experienced some acute anxiety. Thankfully I survived. I still check my solving rate regularly to make sure I haven't accidentally missed any puzzles because of a double load or something.

The last time I had to give up on a puzzle, I took a print screen of it and looked back at it regularly for maybe a month before I finally cracked it. It was "Old age puts more wrinkles in our minds than on our faces." by Michel de Montaigne. It was too late to salvage my solving percentage, but at least I finally knew what had made me give up in the first place! I'm hoping to get that one quote again some time so that I can see what the solving rate is. In all likelihood it's going to be well over 20% and then I'll feel really stupid...

It took me a really long time to get my all time solving rate rounded up to 100%, but what a great feeling it was when I finally achieved that!

gryhnd51
09-14-2015, 02:41 AM
Lost my 100% due to problem with the site early yesterday....makes me FURIOUS, to be honest! Not the first time, and probably not the last. What drives me to perfect score is simple curiosity to decipher what is being SAID by whoever wrote it! In a perfect world, everything would work perfectly.....unfortunately, this is NOT real life, but just a facsimile of it. So, once again, I need to just accept that things are not always as you want them.
Sorry.....sour grapes of wrath! Got an apology from Admin....still doesn't assuage my anger at them "losing" the quote I missed.

abra
09-14-2015, 09:50 AM
If you do enough puzzles, can't you make up for one missed one? I know, that you still know you missed one, but can't you get your solving percentage, back to 100%?

marnita
09-14-2015, 10:15 PM
I feel your pain, Gryhnd. I lost my 100% for last month just in the final few minutes of the month. I don't think I even missed one - just didn't retry before it was closed out for the month, so it did not count for that month. I have missed out on several previous occasions because of system errors; I think my lifetime rate would possibly be 100% if not for site problems (it is 99.9% now). But what motivates me is that feeling of just having to know what the solution is. It drives me totally nuts if I can't figure it out - pretty much what Annamariah said. I had one several months ago that I never have figured out, even though I copied it out and still look at it from time to time. Probably it will do me in again at some point in the future!

Annamariah
09-14-2015, 10:22 PM
If you do enough puzzles, can't you make up for one missed one? I know, that you still know you missed one, but can't you get your solving percentage, back to 100%?

You can round up the all time solving rate, yes (like I've managed to do), but I doubt anyone has time to play enough to get a single month's solving rate back to 100% after missing one.

Marnita, unless you want to solve that one annoying puzzle all by yourself, you can always post it here. Somone would probably be able to help figuring it out.

marnita
09-14-2015, 11:00 PM
Okay, here it is: TMZ RDJH JMFW RDQB JLPZ EO JMFW YTZLB. I do hope I copied it out correctly. But probably I should post it in the "obnoxiously difficult quotes" forum.:confused:

gryhnd51
09-15-2015, 12:00 AM
"lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas"....I THINK that's it!

Also, it is mathematically impossible to play back to 100% once you have missed one. You might eventually get to 99.99%, but you've still missed one! Kinda like trying to "un-say" something you've said already :-D

marnita
09-15-2015, 01:39 AM
Thank you, Gryhnd - I think that must be right! What's really funny is that I'm pretty sure I have solved that one at some point. As for the 99.9 percent, I'm sure you are right, mathematically speaking, but I wonder if it wouldn't eventually get rounded up to 100%?

Zachman285
09-15-2015, 06:01 AM
Greetings all,

This is my first post - I figure I have been around the community long enough to introduce myself.

I have to say I have a great deal of respect for all of the 100%ers out there. Anyone who has seen me on here knows I am quite the opposite. I go for speed and if I think my time is going to be over 35 seconds I usually ditch the puzzle. On some of the hardest - I don't think I've even found a letter. I couldn't imagine the frustration of poring over a puzzle for close to an hour looking for the crack to solve it. Kudos to all of you who do it - it is an admirable goal and I'm always impressed when I see someone achieve it!

Lurker
09-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Hi, Zach. Welcome to the show!

The first couple of months I did 100%, my time tanked. But then you're solving puzzles you had been skipping because they took too long when you were only going for speed. The next time you see them, they're not as hard, and you can solve them quickly. Within six months, my time had mostly recovered. Now, I'm only a couple of seconds slower than non-100%. Of course, if I lose it for technical reasons, I speed through the rest of the month, and it's definitely a relief not to have to check my percentage every few puzzles.

mikehallbackhoe
09-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Hi, Zach, welcome to the forum. you're feelings about spending an hour on a single puzzle is how I feel trying to go fast. I have a slow internet provider, and can't type fast even if I wanted to, so trying to go fast frustrates me. not having to worry about my speed frees me up to spend time on solving the difficult quotes. I get a lot of satisfaction when I solve a puzzle with very low solve rate. I guess it boils down to being competitive, I'm not the fastest, don't have the time to have the most points, but nobody can beat 100 %. so, regardless if I solve 50, or 1000 puzzles this month, I have done my best.

abra
09-15-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm sure we will be seeing some records for Zach, soon. If you've been around for a while. They're probably already there.

I guess I don't go for speed and I'm definitely not a 100%er.

I feel bad if my average goes below 95%, so I try to solve most of them. I'm not very fast either. I'm thrilled that every once in a while, I make it into the top 20 for speed. Because I really do spend a lot of time here, I'm usually able to place in the top 10 for points.

I really enjoy doing what I can do.

puzzleme
09-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi, Everyone!
I'm totally amazed by the speed-solvers and totally mystified by the 100%-ers. You all are amazing to me. I like to solve quotes quickly just to see how close I can come to the champions and I like to solve as many as possible only because my favorite part of the game is reading everyone's comments. Sometimes they really do make me LOL. I don't get bummed about solving slowly; mostly I just slap my forehead and groan for being so dense once I finally figure out some incredibly easy quote. If I'm in the mood to spend some time on a quote, well, okay; If I'm not, well, that's okay, too; I can let it go, move on, and never look back. Guess I'm not going to make it to the Crypto-Olympics but I'm having a great time!

mikehallbackhoe
09-15-2015, 09:55 PM
well said puzzleme, that's what makes this site so great. if you aren't into speed, that's just fine, and if you aren't into solving 100 %, that's fine too. the main objective is to have a great time. If you enjoy competition, or just find puzzles relaxing, there is something here for everybody

CarpeLanam
09-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Problem? No problem here! I quickly figured out it would always bother me if I didn't solve every puzzle I started. When I first found the site I wasn't very fast at all, so having a high percentage was the only way I could get in the top 20 every month and get that little trophy. Sometimes I'll find a puzzle hours later that must have been a double-load... I'm compelled to solve it even if it totally wrecks my time for the month. It's particularly galling if it's a stupid quote, but I solve it anyway.

abra
09-16-2015, 02:50 PM
I have said it before in comments, and in chat, but maybe not here, I am SO impressed by the 100%ers. All of them. Those who always finish in the top 20, to those who don't but just need to do keep 100%. You all do great solving.

mikehallbackhoe
09-16-2015, 03:46 PM
watch out carpelanum, denial is a sure sign of addiction

gryhnd51
09-17-2015, 11:33 PM
DMVJDCPA is missing from this thread! Having started playing in 2008, his/her solve rate has always been 100% until this month!! Quite an astounding accomplishment!!!
Perhaps I got this wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it's true. Wish that he/she would add a comment to this thread.

oddcouple
09-18-2015, 04:21 PM
If I get far enough into a month to still have 100% rating, I will take much longer than normal to solve. It's nice to occasionally get that ribbon. OTOH, if we get far enough into the month and I'm like 14-16 on the fastest time, I won't do a 10 minute solve.

Silly me, just today I had a 20 minute solve even though I had already missed six puzzles. Actually. I had it solved in about 50 seconds and lost connection to the server. But I just had the urge to get the solve posted even though I severely hit my average time. Just checked the leaderboard and I'm still at 16th despite the 20 minute solve. I hope I can avoid that dreaded lost connection for a while.

marnita
09-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Yes, the dreaded lost connection has hit me a few times this month. It's one reason I don't worry about trying for a fast time, although I don't think I'm capable of fast solving anyway. Right now I'm in first place for solve rate, but only because poor Gryhnd got cheated out of her 100% record. I will feel really lucky if I get through the rest of the month without the same thing happening to me!

sloehand
08-28-2016, 02:13 PM
I can't compete with the highest and fastest yet but I have 3 100% trophies and now I'm addicted to being a 100%'er. I was devastated when I found one this month I could not solve. I just spent 5 days on the quote from Michel de Montaigne that Annamariah mentioned in this thread. MS updated and rebooted my computer overnight and I lost the ability to retry it or I would probably still be trying to solve it.

I'm not sure why it was so hard but now that I see the answer I feel even worse. The only consolation is that Annamariah had problems with it also.

maradnu
08-28-2016, 06:41 PM
When I've played, I've stayed at 100% except the first month the site was back, when I was fighting for a speed trophy (my #3 and the only time I've really done well on speed). There was one other time when the site was down for longer than it saved the puzzles for retry, and I missed one that month.

I do them as fast as I can and still stay at 100%. I do have my own little cheats though. When I hit a really difficult puzzle, I save it to an Excel file by author and how many letters in each of the first five words. If I get stuck, I check my file to see if it gave me problems before.

I also have a key word list in MS Word, organized by pattern - it has 108,000 words in it and helps at times too.

Tilottama2003
08-29-2016, 03:00 AM
I see a quote the size of a page, and somebody did it in like 10 seconds, how does it happen???????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You people should apply for your country's secret service and become code breaking spies!

And when i become a actress/director i will make movies about you all, and, you can star in there!!

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/71383488.jpg

marnita
08-29-2016, 06:52 AM
One thing to remember, Tilottama, is that no matter how long a quote is, you never have to type more than 26 characters to solve it - usually a lot less, because very few quotes use all the letters of the alphabet. It's more a matter of how quickly you can either recognize the quote or see some familiar word patterns.

debzhaus
11-23-2016, 08:26 PM
I think there should be another category for the competition, because people like you who can solve so quickly AND get 100% solve rates are a cut above the rest of us! It should combine percentage solved with speed.

munchlet
01-15-2017, 03:14 PM
I think there should be another category for the competition, because people like you who can solve so quickly AND get 100% solve rates are a cut above the rest of us! It should combine percentage solved with speed.

Debzhaus, I've been thinking that for years.

I quickly figured out it would always bother me if I didn't solve every puzzle I started. When I first found the site I wasn't very fast at all, so having a high percentage was the only way I could get in the top 20 every month and get that little trophy. Sometimes I'll find a puzzle hours later that must have been a double-load... I'm compelled to solve it even if it totally wrecks my time for the month. It's particularly galling if it's a stupid quote, but I solve it anyway.

Same here, Carpe, exactly the same. Yesterday I found a quote that should have been solved hours before -- turns out I missed one letter -- solved it, and my average time went up to 89.1 seconds. Woo hoo! That happened a day or two after the Shakespeare quotation that had to marinate overnight.

Distraction often does the trick -- any distraction. Come back, and there's the answer.

I am a perfectionist, always have been, and like to learn new skills. Trophy or no, the more cryptograms solved, the more you figure out various solving heuristics -- although I do lack maradnu's focus and self-discipline: I have no Excel file sorted by author, no key word list organized by pattern. :eek:

Solving 100% also means you get to read more bios and -- the best part -- lots more crypto comments, which often surpass the original quotation in intelligence, wit, depth and sheer audacity.

So, there you have it. ;)

jimbo42
01-23-2017, 01:19 PM
3 times this month i have seen a 100 percenter losing record and being restored to 100% next day,this seems curious

mikehallbackhoe
01-23-2017, 01:26 PM
if you go to recent games, you have up to 24 hours to retry a puzzle

killdozer
01-23-2017, 10:56 PM
I've had to go back and retry puzzles hours later or even the next day when the site has gone down or I've had Comcast outages or sometimes when I've had to get up from the computer (usually to deal with kids) and ended up getting distracted and forgetting I had a live puzzle going. I'm glad I can go back and restore my pathological need to get 100%, but it does demolish your average time.

sloehand
03-16-2017, 09:49 PM
Still addicted to 100% solve rate and this is me backsliding further into the abyss

I do have a few 100% trophies now but my average solve time is almost always above 240 sec. I have noticed I get anonymously recognized when I have the highest time spent on a quote, I reset that number at the right end of the bell curve. I've done that more times than I would like to admit. My goals now are 100% solve rate while staying under the high-water mark on the bell curve for solve time of each quote.

And this group has only made my 100%'ers addiction seem acceptable. I suppose I'll have to look elsewhere if I really want a cure.

I do agree there should be an elite award for the 100%'ers with an average solve rate lower than 30 sec. This makes them the true crypto-gods as far as I'm concerned and I am not worthy to be in the same 100%'ers top 20 as them.

jbb33054
03-17-2017, 04:28 PM
I always try for 100 percent. If I get stuck on a quote I will walk away for a while, even for hours. It always works, but my solve times are high.

Queethebean
10-17-2017, 11:32 AM
I would rather solve them all than have a fast solve time. OK, I'd rather have both, but to not solve a puzzle would make me crazy.

I know that something happened this month---I must have opened a second tab and a puzzle came up that I didn't know about?? Something like that, maybe. So, I lost my 100%. But then I looked at my overall solve rate, and it said that there have been about 30 puzzles I didn't solve. I don't see how that can be true?! I may be slow in more ways than one, but I think I'd remember 30 puzzles. :confused:

maradnu
10-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Do you check your recent games and monthly scores very often? I've regularly seen double loads, where it shows I've "gotten" a puzzle that I never saw. I try to check every ten puzzles or so, but have slipped up and had some go 15 or 20 minutes or more before I caught it and did the puzzle.

mikehallbackhoe
10-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Do you check your recent games and monthly scores very often? I've regularly seen double loads, where it shows I've "gotten" a puzzle that I never saw. I try to check every ten puzzles or so, but have slipped up and had some go 15 or 20 minutes or more before I caught it and did the puzzle.

for several months I was getting a double load every other game, I replaced my mouse, now no more double loads:)

Annamariah
10-18-2017, 02:34 AM
I used to get double loads when I used the touchpad on my laptop. When I use a mouse, they very rarely occur (usually only when there is a glitch on the site). I still check my solving rate every few quotes, though, just to be sure.

puffybob
10-20-2017, 07:00 AM
Yeah, if you want the 100%, you need to check your recent games every day for double loads, just to be safe.

I'm going for 100% this month, but as a result, my average solving time is terrible. I'm amazed by people like nanrich, rotorguru, twskinner, and annamariah -- they get 100% and are about three times faster! I guess I should have learned to type properly when I was young.

puffybob
10-20-2017, 07:02 AM
--though I should add, just fast typing alone wouldn't do it. Some puzzles just take time! A 100% solving rate with an average time in the twenty-second range is amazing.

Queethebean
10-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Huh--I guess I am double-loading! I do try to check, but not frequently enough. I just checked & there were two unfinished! Could def. be my mouse or keyboard. The cat got on the keyboard and wrecked my N key. I have to press extra hard. Or try to type words that avoid the use of that letter. (Which the previous sentence did . . . I had to think about it, though.)

But I digress. . .