PDA

View Full Version : What inspired your name?

universalmom
02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Based on some very interesting comments on another thread (mikehallbackhoe's "question for fast solvers"), it seems that a lot of us are intrigued by each other's screen names! For those who are willing to share, what inspired your choice of name?

Mine is a nickname given to me by my oldest son. He says that his friends, and especially his girlfriends, all adopt me as a second mom. He also laughs at how often I'm out somewhere, and I feel a little hand on my knee, and I look down to see someone else's child holding onto my leg :) I take this nickname as an affectionate compliment from my young-adult son, and it makes me happy...that's why I chose it!

mikehallbackhoe
02-02-2014, 09:40 PM
mine is easy, my name is mike hall, and I have a backhoe business

fredsevent
02-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Wow. My working hypothesis was correct for both of you. For me, I was setting up an email account and wanted it to be short so I tried fred (already taken), then fred7 (already taken), then fred7t -- not taken. However, when I registered at a site to play games, fred7t was taken. Sooooooo, I spelled it out - 7 became seven - and I started using fredsevent. Utterly boring story, eh?

Annamariah
02-02-2014, 11:20 PM
The story of my username is pretty boring too. My first name is Anna, my middle name is Maria, and my last name begins with an H.

gryhnd51
02-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Mine is also rather simple. When I first joined, we were on our 2nd rescued greyhound. I look forward to having another one some day, but for now we are "parents" to a min-poodle named Drama! She's much smarter than any of our greys and her name is totally appropriate.

universalmom
02-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Wow. My working hypothesis was correct for both of you. For me, I was setting up an email account and wanted it to be short so I tried fred (already taken), then fred7 (already taken), then fred7t -- not taken. However, when I registered at a site to play games, fred7t was taken. Sooooooo, I spelled it out - 7 became seven - and I started using fredsevent. Utterly boring story, eh?

My hypothesis for you was way off! I read it as "fred's event"

damsel22
02-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Mine came from the fact that when I met my finance, I knew I had finally found the "Knight in Shining Armor" I was searching for, so immediately he became my Knight, and I became his damsel. The Knight's power gives him a capital K, and the damsel gets a small d. The number two is his favorite, and we're both into numerology where 22 is a higher power number than 2 - so... damsel22.

abra
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I too always thought and read Fred's Event.

The other's I kind of guessed at, and was right, so far.

Years ago, I read the poem Abra, and I was going to name our next dog Abra. At the last minute we called her Misty.

When we came on line, I used Abra as a user name at several sights.

Oh, and since there are questions about some players, I am female:) .

Lurker
02-03-2014, 01:15 PM
I played as a Guest for several months before deciding I was good enough to compete. Mostly, I wanted credit for breaking one of bansai's records. Lurker was because I was here for games, and had no intention of socializing. One day, the chat box was wondering if I was male or female, so I started to contribute (female, for those keeping score). The meaning behind the user name kind of went out the window after that.

My alter-ego, Lurker Smurf, is because I like the smurfs and thought it was a cute name. It has since become my online persona, even having its own email account and it is the name I use on my blog.

montyb
02-03-2014, 04:41 PM
I always liked the name "Monty". Not because of Monty Python, but for the same reason the Pythons chose Monty; it sounded like the kind of mate you could have a pint with at any pub. The real Monty of the family is our beagle (see my profile page). I am therefore the "B" version. Hence, Montyb.

This is a fun thread.

bluffer
02-03-2014, 05:38 PM
i used to live near Scottsbluff, Nebraska, and I always have a special place in my heart for that area. The name "bluffer" might sound like I am being facetious or insincere, but in fact I honestly love the land formation of the bluffs, formed by erosion. That is why my avatar is a little photo of one of them.

Gifted
02-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Choosing a user name was an opportunity to give myself a name that no one else would give me. Perhaps that might be childish, but I like it. When I was a child, I never made it into the "Gifted and Talented" classes, but on this website, no one objects to calling me "Gifted" do you?

wvwoman
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM
i'm curious about maradnu.

universalmom
02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
I always liked the name "Monty". Not because of Monty Python, but for the same reason the Pythons chose Monty; it sounded like the kind of mate you could have a pint with at any pub. The real Monty of the family is our beagle (see my profile page). I am therefore the "B" version. Hence, Montyb.

This is a fun thread.

My dad's name was Monte (pronounced Monty), so it's an awesome name to me too! I always smile when I see your posts :)

universalmom
02-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Choosing a user name was an opportunity to give myself a name that no one else would give me. Perhaps that might be childish, but I like it. When I was a child, I never made it into the "Gifted and Talented" classes, but on this website, no one objects to calling me "Gifted" do you?

You're absolutely "Gifted!" What did those teachers know anyway? ;)

oddcouple
02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Born in the 50's, I loved watching the TV comedies of the 60's. I tried one TV comedy name which was taken. Oddcouple was my second attempt, this one successful. Obviously it's an homage to Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.
David

wvwoman
02-04-2014, 07:22 AM
i LOVED that tv show! haven't seen any reruns in several years---it's about time to watch them again--who should we talk to?!!

Lurker
02-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Netflix and/or Hulu. Stuff that isn't available on DVD is sometimes on YouTube. The episodes are off old VCR recordings and usually split in several pieces, but you do get to see the show - and very old commercials! Gotta love the internet!

Barnabas
02-04-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm a person who likes to laugh at myself, and so my moniker is meant to be a humorous jab at me and my profession. I'm a mortician. Of all the errant preconceptions that people have about my line of work (and there are many), the preconceptions that are really the most "out there" are usually those regarding embalming. And so, in acknowledgment of the very funny things I've heard from folks about what they think I do in the embalming room, I chose to be a vampire, and because I remember runnning home from school in the 1960s just so I could catch the last 5 minutes of Dark Shadows I went with the name Barnabas.:eek: :)

wvwoman
02-04-2014, 08:46 AM
i gotta say, barnabas, if there were a prize for this topic, you've won it!

Barnabas
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, WV.... I love those bats!

universalmom
02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
i gotta say, barnabas, if there were a prize for this topic, you've won it!

That was my first thought too - "Dude, you win!" Reading all these stories is REALLY fun :D

wvwoman
02-04-2014, 10:36 AM
and you, universalmom, win for "most fun forum topic"!! i'm basing it on my opinion in my time here.

Barnabas
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM
U-Mom, did you get the avatar thing figured out? What with this particular thread, I (and probably a few others) am curious as to what you selected for an avatar.

abra
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Well, I always wondered about Oddcouple, whether it was two people or one, and male, female, or possibly both if there were TWO. Now we know.

Barnabas, how interesting, and here's a third vote for you as the "winner".

wvwoman
02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
that just reminded me that i've always wondered the same thing about jenandbrent!

universalmom
02-04-2014, 03:30 PM
U-Mom, did you get the avatar thing figured out? What with this particular thread, I (and probably a few others) am curious as to what you selected for an avatar.

No, I'm still stumped! I'm about as tech-savvy as...well, as the reef triggerfish I selected :) Scuba and free-diving make me really happy, so I thought a sea creature was the right avatar for me. (That could be a fun thread - hobbies?)

locodad
02-04-2014, 10:08 PM
I thought of something that went with my personality, Sometimes I act more crazy than my kids. I am a very outgoing person and I don't like to act my age. Next Monday is going to be my 49th birthday and I am going to try to tell everybody that is my birthday. I became an an American citizen(very proud) in 1997 but I was born in Mexico(or how I call it Mejico that's the Spanish pronunciation), That is why I put Loco on my name because of my Hispanic heritage which I am very proud. My kids agree with the name 100 percent. My real name es Omar

gryhnd51
02-04-2014, 11:45 PM
What a wonderful thread!!

Barnabas, I think I met you on vacation in Italy back a few years ago! If it wasn't you, it was certainly another mortician with a great sense of humor. He entertained all of us daily! And our dinners together are still a delightful remembrance! He bought the greatest metro-sexual Italian shoes in Venice...! I've always wondered if he wore them when he got back to the States.

U-Mom, I hope you manage to find a really great avatar. Pootie sent me the one that I use. We had pm'd a few x's about my having a rescued grey and she told me about her volunteering at an doggie adoption ctr in her free time. I've thought about changing it a few times, but I just can't do it. It always reminds me of her inspiring personality.

Fredsevent....jeez, but I was so wrong about your name! I thought you were FRED, and seventy!

Oddcouple....that was one of the funniest shows on TV! I'm so happy to know the context.

wvwoman
02-05-2014, 12:22 AM
oh, man, i am lovin' this--you guys are such fun!

but listen, i'm still not clear on you, fredsevent--originally, i too had read yours as "fred's event"--and now, after reading what you wrote, i wondered if the "seven t" meant you're 70--but looking back, i realize that's not really what you said. so. where'd the "7" and then the "t" come from? (my poor brain needs more clues!)

fredsevent
02-05-2014, 08:19 AM
oh, man, i am lovin' this--you guys are such fun!

but listen, i'm still not clear on you, fredsevent--originally, i too had read yours as "fred's event"--and now, after reading what you wrote, i wondered if the "seven t" meant you're 70--but looking back, i realize that's not really what you said. so. where'd the "7" and then the "t" come from? (my poor brain needs more clues!)

I was just going to add "random" keystrokes to fred until I had a unique identifier. So, ages ago when creating an email account at AOL (remember how they sent you CDs every other week!) I wanted to be fred@aol.com, but it was taken. So, I just hit another key - obviously a 7 - that too was taken. Following the 7 with a t did the trick. Then, after the passing of a few more ages, I was registering at pogo.com (games). Apparently there was a fred7t already there, so not wanting to really change I changed 7 to seven. Since then, I usually use fredsevent for gaming sites.

wvwoman
02-05-2014, 08:30 AM
ohhhhhhhhh, gotcha---thanks for your patient response, fred. and i DO remember those aol cds that were everywhere--some came in nice tins--i think i still have some of those around.
and there's a "whole 'nother topic"--things we save for no apparent reason...or things we save because we like 'em, but would never be able to support a valid reason for hanging on to them. my daughters think its sad that i have a boat-load (like how i cleaned that up?!) of stuff like that, but my grandkids think its cool.

GtrZan
02-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Mine's fairly obvious: "Guitar-zan... he's a guitar-man" (Ray Stevens)

I had GTRZAN as a license plate for about a decade, kept having people ask me what Gator-zan was (?) :p

Ah well :D

wvwoman
02-05-2014, 12:07 PM
you know...i'm not sure exactly how...but i had forgotten all about GUITARZAN!!!
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OqbbOhoOfQ)
that brought back all kinds of memories from 1969, which was an epic year for me. thanks for that!

universalmom
02-05-2014, 02:33 PM
wvwoman - we haven't heard your story yet! West Virginia?

wvwoman
02-05-2014, 02:49 PM
oh--well, it just seemed so obvious (to me, anyway!)--sorry 'bout that.
born & raised in wv--but lived most of my adult life in phoenix, so i was "azwoman" there--when i moved back here to be with my mom, i changed to wvwoman. now, i'm doing my best to get my s**t together & move back to az, as that's where one daughter & all the grandchildren are. it's just so darned complicated for several reasons. but i've decided to remain wvwoman when i go--these hills will always be 'home' in my heart.

universalmom
02-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Barnabas, I think I met you on vacation in Italy back a few years ago! If it wasn't you, it was certainly another mortician with a great sense of humor. He entertained all of us daily! And our dinners together are still a delightful remembrance! He bought the greatest metro-sexual Italian shoes in Venice...! I've always wondered if he wore them when he got back to the States.

No WAY...can this be true??? (I actually said this aloud in an amazed and envious tone!) Barnabas, please confirm!!

Speaking of Barnabas...I want to give him a "tip of the hat" for helping me to discover what a wonderful community of solvers you all are. Until recently, I was like what Lurker described - just here for the puzzles, nothing more. The most I would do was leave a comment after I'd solved a quote. Then a few weeks ago, to my amazement, I saw that I had a Message! It was from Barnabas, responding to a rather thoughtless comment I had posted about one of the quotes. In corresponding about this post, I became curious and started poking around the threads...I learned of pootie's death...I saw how helpful and supportive you all are, and I was impressed and moved. So, to Barnabas the self-deprecating mortician - and how many of us gasped in delight when we read that post :) - thank you, I'm very grateful to you.

wvwoman
02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
and barnabas, i'm still curious about those metro-sexual italian shoes gryhnd51 spoke of...haha!

contrary
02-05-2014, 08:14 PM
My name comes from the urge I have of doing the opposite of what someone tells me do to. I try to avoid acting on those urges when it isn't useful but I let a reaction slip out every once in a while.

Barnabas
02-05-2014, 08:22 PM

Barnabas, I think I met you on vacation in Italy back a few years ago! If it wasn't you, it was certainly another mortician with a great sense of humor. He entertained all of us daily!

Well, I've never been to Spain, but I've been to Oklahoma.
... oh, ummm, and I've never been to Italy. Glad to hear my counterpart helped make your trip even more enjoyable than it already must have been.:)

Barnabas
02-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Speaking of Barnabas...I want to give him a "tip of the hat" for helping me to discover what a wonderful community of solvers you all are... a few weeks ago, to my amazement, I saw that I had a Message! It was from Barnabas, responding to a rather thoughtless comment I had posted about one of the quotes... So, to Barnabas the self-deprecating mortician - and how many of us gasped in delight when we read that post :) - thank you, I'm very grateful to you.

U-Mom is being too kind. The truth of the matter is I had sent a message to apologize for a hastily posted and not very well constructed comment I had left after solving a quote. U-mom's comment was in no way thoughtless, and I am grateful to her that her reaction to my comment helped me to see how people were interpreting my comment (which was not the way I had intended it to be interpreted). So the thanks rightfully go to U-mom. And if I in any way had a hand in your becoming part of the "social" aspect of this website, well then I'm glad I did. It's fun to see what's on people's minds, and we enjoy your comments, U-mom.

skoogie2
02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I had pondered a name for my son in law to call me and always wanted a nickname of some kind. He was driving in Charleston and saw a restaurant called Skoogies and said...he thought jokingly....how about Skoogie? I loved it! It stuck!

wvwoman
02-06-2014, 07:39 PM
that's a fantastic name! (and your method of choice is exactly how my daughter once got the name "hobart" for her new baby doll! we've laughed about that name for years.)

so, skoogie, while we're telling all (ha!), your gender?

universalmom
02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I had pondered a name for my son in law to call me and always wanted a nickname of some kind. He was driving in Charleston and saw a restaurant called Skoogies and said...he thought jokingly....how about Skoogie? I loved it! It stuck!

Skoogie, I just saw a comment by you when I solved a quote - it was so cool knowing your backstory :) And I'm guessing you're female...a guy would just have his son in law call him by his first name!

chopstix
02-07-2014, 07:57 PM
What an entertaining and informative thread - great idea!

I have to say that I've never participated in any online commentary or threads until this site, and I feel like I'm just blabbing all the time here! (By the way, please excuse those comments produced by one too many glasses of wine.)

Anyhoozles, on a different site I needed a screen name and happened to be eating Chinese food to go…. nothing I came up with worked. I looked around, tried "chopsticks", that didn't work, but chopstix did and there ya go!

Also, I'm half Japanese…. also also, I'm female…. I was lucky to find an avatar that worked for me (I like mushrooms, and doing puzzles - although I don't usually use a pencil). :p

montyb
02-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Chopstix, your avatar always makes me chuckle. Please don't be hesitant to join in the conversations.

skoogie2
02-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Cute story, wvwoman, about the doll's name! and, you're right, universalmom (and I enjoyed where your name came from! I always told my kids I was never going to be mother of the year, I guess, when I made unpopular decisions, and then that name stuck with them, moty, mother of the year) men would just tell their son-in-law to call them their name!

universalmom
02-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Cute story, wvwoman, about the doll's name! and, you're right, universalmom (and I enjoyed where your name came from! I always told my kids I was never going to be mother of the year, I guess, when I made unpopular decisions, and then that name stuck with them, moty, mother of the year) men would just tell their son-in-law to call them their name!

moty, that's awesome! Right up there with POTUS, FLOTUS...MOTY :)

When I first got married, I wondered what on earth to call my mother-in-law too. She took the initiative by leaving a phone message saying "Hello, this is Mummy," which I loved and have used for upwards of 27 years!

Quizzical
02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
i LOVED that tv show! haven't seen any reruns in several years---it's about time to watch them again--who should we talk to?!!
They were playing on a secondary channel, ME-TV I think, but I looked and didn't see it right now. This is an off-the-air channel like 5.2, 7.2, 9.3, etc that you can get with an antenna if you are in an area with broadcast reception. The guides are available online by ZIP code. They'll be back.

Quizzical
02-09-2014, 05:24 PM
As for my game name - I wish I had given it more thought before I chose it. I was relatively new at working the puzzles and I had already seen puzzleme. Just a take-off on his or hers. I enjoy almost everyone's comments on the solutions and try to add something occasionally if I can think of something pertinent or sometimes, just something silly. I started working the puzzles to try and keep my mind sharp (or get it sharp in the first place) in retirement.

WineChick
02-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Love reading the stories about names.

Barnabas, I love your name...I have a lot of mortician friends up home, and shall we say they are, um, not stuffy. (Crap, one of them I figured would be in jail or dead by his 21st birthday..you know, a bored rich kid type.)

My story isn't as exciting. Obviously, I love wine. My husband and I have been active in our local PBS major fundraiser, Winefeast, for nearly 20 years. I worked at a wine store, training a new guy the day our town was hit by an EF-5 tornado in May 2011. (PTSD and backbiting precluded me from returning to work there, but I still go in as a customer and sell wines with a technique that puts the rookies in there to shame!)

One year, when we went to California to explore wines, I found a visor with "Wine Chick" sequined on it. I bought it, wear it every year at Winefeast, and that's how I decided to use that here.

universalmom
02-12-2014, 08:51 AM
Ha! I guess my next screen name should be "scotchgirl" :)

iltquilt
02-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I love to quilt. 'Nuf said.

opallady
02-12-2014, 03:11 PM
My birthday is in October and the birthstone for October is an opal.

wvwoman
02-12-2014, 03:37 PM
i'm also october--and just saw a comment from montyb today (on a quote about october) saying that he is, also.

montyb
02-12-2014, 06:00 PM
You bet I am. And so is Jen of Jenandbrent.

wvwoman
02-12-2014, 06:06 PM
oh, yeah...jenandbrent--one person or two?!

AHD
02-14-2014, 11:15 AM
I chose "AHD" because I love the American Heritage Dictionary. Its definitions give a depth of insight, and its etymological information about each word is thorough and accurate. I need this to counterbalance my habitual feeling of being "flummoxed"about words.

mikehallbackhoe
02-14-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm glad I don't have to solve AHD quotes. :)

wvwoman
02-14-2014, 11:24 AM
that's an interesting one! do you us the print or the online copy?
what does it say on your avatar? i can't make out the small print.
i love the word 'flummoxed'--i think i first heard it used years ago in nero wolfe mysteries, and have enjoyed using it since.

wvwoman
02-14-2014, 11:26 AM
oops! *use

AHD
02-14-2014, 12:09 PM
The fine print on my avatar says: flummox (pronunciation), verb, To confuse; perplex. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, "flummox" is slang, and its origin is obscure. It is funny how my favorite thing about this dictionary is that it delves into the origin of words, and occasionally even these linguistic experts have to surrender in their attempt to trace a word back to a specific origin.

WRQ9
02-14-2014, 09:32 PM
My name "WRQ9" was inspired by my love of crosswords, my initials, and 9 letters in my last name.

montyb
02-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Dang! I really missed with my hypothesis of WRQ9's name. I thought it was the call letters of the ham radio operator which was heard in the middle of the 1939 "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast, but I couldn't find my recording to confirm it.

Lurker
02-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Found it. If you're talking about the last bit before the commercial break, it's 2X2L talking to CQ. Poor CQ, swallowed up by the black fog in NYC.

montyb
02-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Ah, thanks Lurker. Now I don't have to tidy up my library.

Quizzical
02-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Found it. If you're talking about the last bit before the commercial break, it's 2X2L talking to CQ. Poor CQ, swallowed up by the black fog in NYC.
A possible little "fail" in the War of the Worlds - Amateur radio call signs are one or two letters followed by a single digit, followed by two or three letters. For example W1AW or W1AWR or WA1AW or W1AWR. They may have chosen the 2X2L to avoid duplicating an actual call sign. It may have been another FCC "service" like law enforcement or emergency services, however. CQ is Ham slang for "calling anyone who will answer".

wvwoman
02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
that's interesting--thanks for the info!