PDA

View Full Version : Cryptograms.org Server

Kgun5
04-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Is it just me, or has the server been unusually slow for the past three days?

Lacon
04-17-2013, 06:24 PM
It's not just you.

opallady
04-17-2013, 07:07 PM
I've found it to be slow since sometime Saturday. The solving part is okay, but when I hit "enter" there is about a 3 second delay before it goes to the answer page.

wvwoman
04-17-2013, 09:08 PM
i've had up to 25-second delays after hitting 'enter' the last few nights, but my normal is probably 5-10. it seems to be back to normal today.

pootie49
04-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Just trying to load the page from favourites takes five minutes, and
Ive been given the unable to find page message a few times.
Trying to post this has taken ten minutes just to go from chat to forum
and posting.

gryhnd51
04-18-2013, 01:40 AM
I've also had intermittent, but persistent problem. Mostly after hitting "enter" but sometimes when trying to load new puzzle. We can't ALL be having "computer problems". Hope Admin will look into this.

nanrich
04-18-2013, 04:39 AM
Thanks Kgun5 for starting this thread. It's a bit of a relief to know I'm not alone in experiencing some problems with the site. Earlier today, it wouldn't respond at all when I pressed send at the end of a puzzle but other sites were still working okay. Hopefully Admin will be able to straighten it out -- but in the meantime I'm going to use it as an excuse for why my times keep going up, up, up from where I was at the beginning of the month :)

admin
04-18-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the heads up - I've run some diagnostics tonight and so far am not seeing anything particularly unusual on the server end. It may be some sort of network issue affecting only certain geographical regions. From here I'm not really noticing much or any slow down. We log how long it takes every puzzle page and every completion page to compile, and they're still compiling in good time (about 2-3 hundredths of a second).

I've opened a ticket with our server company to have them investigate in any event - maybe they'll have some ideas.

Thanks!

gryhnd51
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks Stephen for getting on this right away. We all appreciate that you've gotten involved in trying to figure this out.
I hate to disagree with you, but like several others who've given some input on this topic, I've been to a lot of other sites I regularly use and there has been no hesitation at all...not even by a fraction. Actually, I know too little about computers and servers to actually "disagree"...just trying to add more data.
Meanwhile, this problem sure takes away some enjoyment from playing here.

Kgun5
04-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I just wanted to add my thanks to the Admin for getting on this. Concerning his comment about the issue being geographic, my guess is that he meant that even though the problem is likely on cryptogram.org's side of things, it may only be affecting those of us in certain geographical regions. If that's true and the Admin isn't in one of those regions, he won't be able to reproduce the issue, and it will be more difficult to pin down.

Also, I've definitely noticed short, intermittent periods of normal behavior. Someone kick the wires underneath the internet!

gryhnd51
04-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Admin, it seems MUCH better today...there is still some hesitation about every 10th quote, but not nearly as much as before.

gryhnd51
04-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Nope....still not fully fixed.

Lily H
04-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm finding the site is still very slow to load puzzles and check answers. It takes a long time to go from page to page. :(

admin
05-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Sorry for the delay in addressing this - I was out of the office for nearly two weeks and didn't want to perform any major maintenance on the road, just in case.

I've implemented some database changes tonight that should lessen the server load a bit - if the slow page-load issue is server related, this should help it considerably. I'd love to hear from you guys to see if you notice any difference.

Thanks!

gryhnd51
05-03-2013, 03:48 AM
Hasnt changed anything for me. Still several seconds of lag time loading pages. Very occassionally, it loads like it used to.

admin
05-03-2013, 04:18 AM
That's disappointing.

Question for you - when you experience "lag" what exactly happens? i.e. when you click a link/button, which of the following occurs:

1. Nothing, current page remains on screen, browser status bar says "Connecting to cryptograms.org"

2. Same as above but browser status bar lingers on "Waiting for cryptograms.org"

3. The next page partially loads quickly (i.e. the title bar and maybe some of the header appears) but takes several seconds to load completely.

This might help me figure out what part of the process is causing the lag.

Lily H
05-03-2013, 04:27 AM
Thank you, Stephen. The site is working much faster for me now. I don't have to wait a long time for puzzles to load, and navigating from page to page is faster too. :)

admin
05-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Glad to hear it, thanks Lily!

gryhnd51
05-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Stephen, it WAS doing #1...but I decided to restart my computer and that seems to have made a big difference. I WAS having to dbl-click on "play another cryptogram" and "solve"...I've only done a few solves, but it's working like it used to. Thanks very much:)

admin
05-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Glad to hear! It's amazing sometimes what a reboot will accomplish. :-)

Kgun5
05-03-2013, 03:41 PM
I am still seeing the same slowdowns, but it is much more infrequent. I made sure to reboot, as well. That said, I'll need a bigger sample size of play time before I can tell whether it's just the normal slowdown that happens when the site gets busy. I am encouraged by the lengthening periods of stability, however.

Thanks again, Admin!

RedEnoch
05-03-2013, 07:45 PM
I had to update my Adobe flash player. I don't know if that was a coincidence, but it seems to have helped. Unfortunately, the ads are back, too. I didn't miss that.

gryhnd51
05-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Admin, it's better but not completely fixed...at least from my end of things. The lag times "seem" to be shorter in duration for the most part, and then it will take over 5 secs to load a crypto and at least that long after hitting solve. I hope others will add their own input.

montyb
05-04-2013, 09:59 PM
The site is much faster here, Stephen. I have almost no delay between pages. Thanks.

opallady
05-05-2013, 03:40 AM
Sorry, but it's still giving a 3 or 4 second delay here. Occasionally it clicks right to the next page as it should, but not very often.

abra
05-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm wondering if those who are ad free, experience the slow loading. For me this all started with one particular ad, That got better, but never completely returned to the "old" normal.

Also, it 's a bit baffling, even though so many of us are complaining about the problem, the top 20 fastest solver scores seem really high. In March I would have made the top 20 with my 64 something. In April, I wasn't even close. So, I don't understand that part of it. And, the 64 something is pretty fast for me.:confused:

wvwoman
05-05-2013, 10:50 PM
i'm ad-free, have experienced the slow-loading, and it is still slow. often around 8 seconds to load the puzzle. also slow after clicking 'enter', but at least that time isn't added to the score, thank goodness. if speed weren't foreign to me (!), i'm sure that would be extremely frustrating.

some of those evil ads used to seriously hang me up (and frustrate me to the screaming point)--i can't imagine trying to go for speed and deal with ads at the same time.

Lurker
05-06-2013, 01:31 AM
I just had a solve page not load completely. It got hung up at the banner ad, but was slow before that. It did record my time on the puzzle from when I hit "enter", as near as I can tell. The rest of the site's pages seem to be doing fine.

Lurker
05-06-2013, 01:33 AM
And now it's working fine. Maybe it was my own connection.

wordloon
05-06-2013, 05:49 AM
I'm experiencing brief intervals during which the site is somewhat closer to normal. The rest of the time, it remains very frustratingly slow.

gryhnd51
05-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Site seems almost "normal" this evening. Still a few seconds of lag time loading, but less than it was. Almost always "solves" quickly, but occ small lag time on that end. The past few hours of playing has been more fun than for the past several weeks! Kudos, and many thanks, for working on this problem. Thanks, Stephen.

gryhnd51
05-07-2013, 08:21 AM
An addendum to my last note: I just solved a crypto in about 30-34 secs at most....and hit "check it" and got NO response. FInally got it to "go" at 110 secs after several attempts. So all problems are not entirely fixed, and I'm darned frustrated.

admin
05-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Your post above came in just moments after a brief (<1 minute) downtime caused by server techs who were investigating the slowdown issue. They still say they see no issues on the server, but they did make a slight change to Apache, and this may have had some effect. Preliminary tests on my end show a significant speed up of the "Connecting..." phase of http requests.

Let's see if this has any effect for those still seeing slow load times.

Kgun5
05-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I am seeing significant improvement today.

I don't believe I've experienced any slowdowns in the past couple hours.

admin
05-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear it! All the tests I've run as of this morning are showing significant connection-time improvement across multiple sites on this server. I think we may finally have found the cause.

gryhnd51
05-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Significant improvement today....Yahoo!

opallady
05-07-2013, 10:14 PM
It's much better today, maybe even back to normal. Thanks, Stephen.

abra
05-08-2013, 01:51 AM
OMgosh, FINALLY this afternoon, things seem normalish. I'm thrilled:) . Thanks so much.

themunchlet
08-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Very slow to load, and I do play for speed.

It's too bad that the ads ruin a great site here.

wvwoman
08-01-2013, 07:21 PM
i just mentioned in the chat box this morning that though it's a little pricey, subscribing to the 'premium membership' so i don't get ads is really worth it. it's just so peaceful to have a clean puzzle screen with nothing 'yellling' at me. and there's no downside, unless you count being spoiled!

(http://www.cryptograms.org/premium.php)