PDA

View Full Version : What other free onlines games do you play?

smoochie222
09-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Just wondering?:)

maradnu
09-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I do some Sudoku online, and occasionally some crosswords. I've done a few kakuro on paper, and I'm thinking of looking for some online.

kat
09-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I like sudoku, acrostics, and drop quotes.

Laura
09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I also love sudoku and used to play it quite a bit until I found this site. But the logic puzzles are also good too once you get the method. It used to take me about 40 minutes to solve each one (with a big score of 10) but I can now solve them a lot quicker.

I've never tried drop quotes and have never even heard of kakuro. But it's probably a good idea to stay away from any more games. I'm running a business and also in school so online games cut into my sleep time. zzzzzzzzz

bansaisequoia
09-13-2008, 10:00 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512R0HYSE5L._SL500_AA240_.jpgPeter Gordon's NY Sun Crosswords are the next best thing to the New York Times, but unlike the Times, they are totally free of charge! You can also download them so that you don't have to be online to solve.

http://www.nysun.com/crosswords/subscriber_puzzle.php

Me and Peter Gordon at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament 2006:

admin
09-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Funny you should mention Peter - he was the editor of our forthcoming book, Notable Quotable Cryptograms, which features 500 puzzles from Cryptograms.org. It'll be launched by Sterling Publications on November 4th.

By the way, we made a point of publishing the record time and name of each record holder for all 500 puzzles in the book, so keep an eye peeled for your user name! The actual manuscript was completed a while ago though so I'm sure at least a few (if not most) of those records have since been topped. :-)

bansaisequoia
09-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the info, Stephen. I see that this publication is ready for pre-order on Barnes & Noble's site. I'll definitely get a copy.

Laura
09-14-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm sure that Bansai will be listed in the book. :)

smoochie222
09-14-2008, 03:06 AM
and only $6.95.

bansaisequoia
09-14-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm sure that Laura will be listed in the book. (& digirl & maradnu & susie & ferrym & flutefish & tonyboy & cknapp & smoochie & opallady & gryhnd51 & figmo & countessofmontecrypto et al. Sorry if I neglected to mention you.):)

admin
09-14-2008, 05:07 AM
If I remember correctly, I completed the manuscript for this book around May or June of 2007 - so unfortunately only players who were active on the site during or before that time will show up in the finished volume.

Darned paper-publishing world just takes forever to get things done. :-)

bansaisequoia
09-14-2008, 05:13 AM
It's OK, Stephen. You can mention them in Notable Quotable Cryptograms vol. 2!

kat
09-15-2008, 07:39 AM
maybe I'll be in there...

flutefish
09-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Since I joined last summer in July, I doubt I'll be listed. :( It would be nice to see my user name in print though. So, Stephen, when do we get vol. 2? ;)

I play this and the logic problem site. Also for more difficult logic problems, www.puzzlersparadise.com . They only put 2 new puzzles up a month, but all the only ones are up, so there's plenty to keep you occupied. I also have spent WAY too much time on zone.msn.com playing a variety of games.

maradnu
09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
I joined in July 2007, so I won't be listed either.

I guess bansai with be listed under his previous screen name. Digirl should be there as well.

munchlet
10-04-2008, 01:40 AM
...draining workplace productivity since 1996.

(unpaid, unsolicited advertisement)

Am I the only freecell junkie on board?

Between these two sites, it's a wonder I have time to sleep, eat or brush my teeth.

I love both games (they use different mental skills). Both are hosted by awesome geeks who have considerable personal investment in their respective web sites. Both men (Stephen and Denny) know their users and answer queries promptly. Both have substantial expertise and spend a ton of time tweaking and improving their games. It shows.

These days I spend more time reading the political discussions at freecell.net than playing the game. That should change after our upcoming elections (U.S.) when my candidates will have lost (undoubtedly) and I will be looking to drown my sorrows in addictive 'puter game abuse.

Oh, and I am sure digirl has earned many mentions in Stephen's book.

Andrea

Whatever
10-04-2008, 02:47 AM
I'm a Free Cell junkie also! :)

munchlet
10-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Cool.

I hang at 8x5 (easy) trying to make a 500-game streak (not so easy).

Most folks play 8x4 (standard game) -- would it be time to move on?

Oh, well! See you, Whatever... wherever, whenever!

;) (do I resemble Sarah Palin?)

flutefish
10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I like freecell, though I would not call myself a junkie. I have always played the freecell game that comes on windows pcs when I have to use one. I've never played it online though.

bansaisequoia
10-14-2008, 11:23 PM
(do I resemble Sarah Palin?)

I really couldn't say. You never posted a profile picture.:rolleyes:

munchlet
10-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Does that help?

;) ;) ;)

bansaisequoia
10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
So you're saying you look like Ilsa Lund? (Ingrid Bergman)

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2006/04/07/1144436151_3994.jpg

munchlet
10-16-2008, 08:54 AM
So you're saying you look like Ilsa Lund?
By golly, you betcha! In my dreams...

Guess I might at least complete my profile? Someday. Doing a forum profile feels like filling out a job app -- though with the economy tanking and the latest dismal news on retail sales, a little practice might not hurt.

Suffice to say I'm older than you, Mr. B. But not old enough to remember Bogart and Bergman and Bacall on the big screen.

And though I'm quite sure you did not miss it... the operative word above was "wink." Gosh dang it all.

ernests
11-17-2008, 02:41 PM
At the moment my work-avoidance is mainly on this site or wordtwist and I also potter around on funtrivia.com. Someone mentioned kakuro upthread - have you seen kakuroconquest.com? I got quite into it last year but I haven't done any for a while.

Basically anything which keeps the brain from seizing up is good, but I've been doing cryptograms since I was a kid doing puzzles in my mum's Tough Puzzles magazine and I haven't got tired of them yet.