PDA

View Full Version : You will not defeat this puzzle.

Cody8295
12-05-2012, 11:09 PM
This puzzle is based around encryptions and general knowledge.

You will get farther if you work together

Good luck

http://i.imgur.com/u7Xaj.png

chopstix
12-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Is this an assignment from the Mission Impossible folks?

What happens if we work together to solve this undefeatable puzzle?

Will we be able to stop the approaching end of the world?

Aaaaagggghhh!!!!

Lurker
12-06-2012, 11:57 PM
It's so funny that people think we're capable of solving advanced cyphers. This site is a time-killer, nothing more.

wvwoman
12-07-2012, 01:08 AM
are there groups of 'us' sitting around, working together, that i don't know about?!

pootie49
12-07-2012, 03:16 AM
I like how it says you will not defeat this
and then asks us to
and suggests we do it as a group

we do simple substitution cyphering here

ok everyone lets meet at Lily's house
bring a dish
and we will work together.
Im bringing rolls, anyone else?

http://i50.tinypic.com/20apg89.jpg

gryhnd51
12-07-2012, 03:53 AM
I'll bring some lasagna. I hope you told Lily we were coming:D

Lurker
12-07-2012, 04:16 AM
There's a batch of cookies in the oven now. Should I bring those?

pootie49
12-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Cookies are a must, it has been proven that cookies
improve one's thought process
and no i didnt ask?
Lily can we come over and eat and think real hard
as a group?
I will wipe my feet.
And use cutlery and everything.
Should we invite the guys?
Im sure most of them wipe their feet with cutlery as well.
You know I hesitated typing that for fear I start another
brou haha but mostly it was just a ha ha ...k?

Lily H
12-07-2012, 06:25 AM
So it takes an unsolvable puzzle to get you to come visit me, eh? Wait till I tell my mom that we're having company. She will love telling you about her recent knee replacement surgery and proudly show off her scar. She will soon have all of you running to fetch things for her, and I will welcome the break from being nursemaid.

Since this unsolvable puzzle is likely to take a while, I suggest that you bring your jammies and your sleeping bags. The guest bedroom only has a double bed, so you will have to draw straws to see who gets the bed and who has to sleep on the living room floor. By the way, I only have coffee and Diet Coke so BYOB. Pootie, I hope you didn't post my address on the internet. Oh, and bring your umbrellas because we've had a LOT of rain recently.

Cody8295
12-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Never seen a lower quality forum than this. I honestly regret registering here.

pootie49
12-07-2012, 06:45 AM
packs her jammies and t.b.
while surreptiously deleting Lily's address
from the entire internet
No no I didnt give out your address
I call dibs on the bed.
Mind you with all that caffeine
who's going to be sleeping!!!!
I will post a bathroom schedule on the door.
Strict adherence must be kept.
We dont want any peeksies woopsies
(sorry cracked myself up there)
Rolls lasagna cookies and scar looking
That sounds like a great party for doing
some serious cryptomophography solvin'.

We got dissed, but the party is still on right?
hesitates to add this but what the hay...
but you didnt solve any puzzles?

gryhnd51
12-07-2012, 06:55 AM
I, for one, am terribly sorry to have disappointed Cody. He/she obviously finds our humor lacking in tact.

Pootie, if I don't thrash around can we at least share the bed? :)

Lily H
12-07-2012, 06:55 AM
I guess the person doesn't get sarcasm. It's probably a puzzle from another site that s/he wants us to help solve.

Cody8295
12-07-2012, 06:56 AM
I guess the person doesn't get sarcasm. It's probably a puzzle from another site that s/he wants us to help solve.

I "get" sarcasm, but I didn't expect it from this forum. And no, the puzzle is not from another site. It's unique, I created it myself.

wvwoman
12-07-2012, 08:06 AM
they do that sort of thing on other forums? folks here spend their time solving puzzles and often having fun trying to set monthly records. from what i've seen in the months i've been here, the forum is used for assistance, information and occasional silliness!

chopstix
12-07-2012, 08:50 AM
This is cracking me up!

May I offer to bring paper, pencils, and erasers to this cyberspace party?

Cody, please don't take the ribbing personally, I've never engaged in any site chats, comments, etc. before this one, but I believe the point of this site is fun and relax, it is for me at least.

We're not here to challenge each other, only ourselves.

And by "we" I mean myself, and am assuming I speak for many here. I personally don't know anyone on this site, where they live, what their real names are, etc. How any of us would go about working on your puzzle as a group would be a challenge of its own... So the joking is kind of about the proposition, not as much the puzzle itself.

I did notice you have the words "low low" at the bottom of your puzzle - maybe you had this opinion when you originally posted?

Anyhow, please take it all in stride. Sincere smiles to you.

gryhnd51
12-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Bravo Chopstix!! I think you probably expressed the feelings that many of us have about being challenged to "work together" to solve a puzzle that we've already been told is unsolvable. Life has enough conundrums without trying to do the impossible. It's unfortunate that the person who started this thread took offense, rather than appreciating our wry sense of humor. It certainly wasn't meant personally.

gryhnd51
12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Oh, and by the way, the paper...pencils...(and especially) erasers...would be a wonderful addition to the party.

Cody8295
12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
And by "we" I mean myself, and am assuming I speak for many here. I personally don't know anyone on this site, where they live, what their real names are, etc. How any of us would go about working on your puzzle as a group would be a challenge of its own... So the joking is kind of about the proposition, not as much the puzzle itself.

You don't have to meet IRL to work together on a puzzle based online.

wvwoman
12-07-2012, 04:39 PM
separate togetherness---not a new concept---but not as fun as together togetherness.
i'll bring the cuervo gold.

fredsevent
12-07-2012, 09:22 PM
I "get" sarcasm, but I didn't expect it from this forum. And no, the puzzle is not from another site. It's unique, I created it myself.

Well, if it's truly a unique crypto and as short as I remember it being, then it can be quite difficult. I tried to explain this a while back when "we" were challenged in this forum in much the same manner you did. We failed then too. You need to keep in mind, this site has only one type of puzzle, the cipher system is known to you, and the underlying language (which is deeply familiar to many of our brains).

What you have given us is an unknown system, with unknown data underneath, and you've given us one small sample. I get the feeling the people solving the German Enigma in WWII had more than ~30 symbols. There are some famous one-off ciphers out there which haven't been solved and some famous ones which took some really clever, interested people to solve. Those that I know of were significantly longer than yours.

For the record, I gave your cipher a cursory look and decided it might be an intractable problem and then went on to solving simple substitutions, enjoying the underlying quotes, and adding my own comments - which is why I come to this site.

fredsevent

fredsevent
12-07-2012, 09:30 PM
separate togetherness---not a new concept---but not as fun as together togetherness.
i'll bring the cuervo gold.

Okay, now I'm getting interested in the gathering! Perhaps you can allow a male?
(to address some of pootie's concerns) I'll let you wipe my feet ;)
and cut up my food for me (use cutlery) ;) and abide by the bathroom schedule.

An alcohol- fueled cipher solving session just sounds like too much fun to pass up!

fredsevent

pootie49
12-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes of course youre invited.
All the boys are.
Feet wiping and food cutting t.b.d.
Defo not with the same cutlery because
even in hoity toity circles that would so not be cool.

chopstix
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
I love it!

Lasagna, cookies, erasers, and Cuervo! Whoo-hoo!

Plus an intriguing bed-sharing offer from gryhnd to pootie....

While this forum may or may not be low-quality, it certainly isn't high-brow!

Cody8295
12-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Well, if it's truly a unique crypto and as short as I remember it being, then it can be quite difficult. I tried to explain this a while back when "we" were challenged in this forum in much the same manner you did. We failed then too. You need to keep in mind, this site has only one type of puzzle, the cipher system is known to you, and the underlying language (which is deeply familiar to many of our brains).

What you have given us is an unknown system, with unknown data underneath, and you've given us one small sample. I get the feeling the people solving the German Enigma in WWII had more than ~30 symbols. There are some famous one-off ciphers out there which haven't been solved and some famous ones which took some really clever, interested people to solve. Those that I know of were significantly longer than yours.

For the record, I gave your cipher a cursory look and decided it might be an intractable problem and then went on to solving simple substitutions, enjoying the underlying quotes, and adding my own comments - which is why I come to this site.

fredsevent

This is not a one step puzzle. There are many steps after the first image. If you think Morse code is an unknown system- well...

Lurker
12-08-2012, 12:35 AM
I think most of us who attempted it gave up when Morse Code came up with something that must be a license plate.

pootie49
12-08-2012, 12:52 AM
This is not a one step puzzle. There are many steps after the first image. If you think Morse code is an unknown system- well...
Well...what?
I got the same as everyone else letters with a 2 and a ? for the four dashes.
Maybe the code lies in the ?
Tricky.

and have you tried to solve one of our cryptograms yet?
and yes im in agreement with fredsevent, you could just give us
the answer and we can all oooh and ahhh.
mind you that negates the need for the get together.

@ chopstix, the mental images are mind boggling arent they?? LOL

fredsevent
12-08-2012, 12:53 AM

I recognized the potential Morse code. If I assume the slashes are letter delimiters, then I'm left with a whooping 8 characters - with a repeat at positions 2 and 6 - MN20CNSZ. That can match any word with that pattern or represent lots of other things. Manny Neutered 20 Cats Not So Zealously.

This cipher is just too short to waste time with. I can choose too many answers, without any certainty that they are correct.

Just post the answer to prove me wrong. ;P

fredsevent
12-08-2012, 01:25 AM
MN20CNSZ

Manganese x 20 Carbon Nitrogen Sulfur Zinc

It's the formula for eternal youth! No wait Zinc is Zn. Nevermind.

fredsevent
12-08-2012, 01:30 AM
MN20CNSZ

advance each char. using the sequence ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789

NO31DOT0 -> NO 31.0 -> number 31.0 -> 31

WooHoo! I'm having fun.

All for today - serious drinking and computer game playing to do. Bye.

Lurker
12-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Element 31 is Gallium, as long as we're going off on this tangent.

Cody8295
12-08-2012, 02:27 AM
I cannot give out the answer, simply because there is no answer, it's a puzzle that results in a "congratulations" page.

However, I offer this hint:

pastebin

pootie49
12-08-2012, 04:01 AM
errrrr okkkkayyyy

lemme see if i got this right so far

its a puzzle
that you made up...created
but there is no solution
only a congratulations page
and there is no solution
or you cant give us the solution because there isnt one
but there is a congratulations page somewhere on pastebin
rrrrighttttttt um welll...
http://i49.tinypic.com/f1foti.gif

Cody8295
12-08-2012, 04:04 AM
errrrr okkkkayyyy

lemme see if i got this right so far

its a puzzle
that you made up...created
but there is no solution
only a congratulations page
and there is no solution
or you cant give us the solution because there isnt one
but there is a congratulations page somewhere on pastebin
rrrrighttttttt um welll...

http://i46.tinypic.com/b7cpq0.gif

There is no solution that you can be like: "Oh is it this: 'insert some quote here'"

The solution is finding the last page of the puzzle. The image on my first post is the first step in getting there. 'pastebin' was a hint I provided.

wvwoman
12-08-2012, 04:27 AM
oh dear lord.

admin
12-08-2012, 04:53 AM
For whatever it's worth, here's the "next page".... from http://pastebin.com/MN20CNsz (the code that Fred found)
=========================================

CAP, CAP: Faye Comet
LOW, CAP: Xiamen Airlines IATA
LOW: Uranium

-C295

pootie49
12-08-2012, 05:07 AM
LOL LOL
Did you get the page Stephen?
We have a winner ladies and gentleman.
Thank you for playing "This has been the nuttiest post
in Crypto history"

LOLOL

hold on a tick...
what the heck does it mean???????
You do realize of course..he/she was right!!!!
We couldnt solve this puzzle.
Why do I think at the end of this someone is going to ask
me to sign up for a new long distance provider???

and lmao at wvwoman LOL good response.

admin
12-08-2012, 05:09 AM
I'm guessing that's just the next step, not the final "answer". Best I can come up with from the second cipher is:

4PmFu -c295

But I have no idea what that's supposed to mean, or if its even correct.

Lurker
12-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Does this even mean anything?

Cody8295
12-08-2012, 05:11 AM
I'm guessing that's just the next step, not the final "answer". Best I can come up with from the second cipher is:

4PmFu -c295

It's nice to see somebody actually participating in the puzzle rather than harassing me.

Lurker
12-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Why do new people with odd outside puzzles always think we're harassing them because we don't do exactly as they demand?

pootie49
12-08-2012, 05:56 AM
I have to concur.
I dont consider it harrassing
I do tend to think that whomever does get
to this final page should make sure their av is on.
This is sounding fishier and fishier.
Methinks Lily was precognizant.
Or someone is just really super bored and
might have a loose screw in the noodle factory.
Mind you again thats my theory.
Party is still on though eh?
Im going to bed ...but funny thing is he got us all
involved in it!
Not me going to bed but his non defeatable puzzle he created
that doesnt really have a solution.
Full moon for sure.

Cody8295
12-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Why do new people with odd outside puzzles always think we're harassing them because we don't do exactly as they demand?

That's not why I used the word harassment. I used the word harassment because for the first 3 pages, all you guys did was post off topic.

Cody8295
12-08-2012, 07:19 AM
I have to concur.
I dont consider it harrassing
I do tend to think that whomever does get
to this final page should make sure their av is on.
This is sounding fishier and fishier.

There are no executables in this puzzle. The final page is plaintext.

fredsevent
12-08-2012, 09:12 AM

4PmFu -c295

Nicely done. I've never heard of pastebin, so I was going to remain stuck even with the hint pastebin.

Lurker
12-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Cody, you are new here! All we do is go off-topic. You're talking about people who solve most puzzles in about a minute. I'll go out on a limb that half of us have some form of ADD. We have no patience for complexities and welcome diversions and segues. The wackier the non-sequiturs get, the more amused we are.

You may adapt to our miscellaneous tangents or find a site where people are more single-minded, like Puzzle Baron's own Logic Puzzles.

chopstix
12-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh my, I now have a rippin' hangover.

This has got to be the best cyber-party ever!

Lily - thanks for hosting, your mom's a crack-up! ...I'm so sorry I tracked mud in your house.

gryhnd - dang that was a good lasagna!

Lurker - the cookies were fantastic, would you mind sharing the recipe?

wvwoman - I probably had more than my share of that liter of Cuervo, hence the hangover. It's a good thing gryhnd just stuck to just vodka and grapefruit juice.

fredsevent - in retrospect I don't recall you having partaken in the boozing so much, which is why you actually got somewhere with the challenge. I am impressed not only by your skill, but by your keeping a clear enough head to stay on point.

pootie - your craft skills are amazing, but I think I'll have glitter in my hair for weeks. Oh, and your rolls were melt-in-your-mouth delicious!

admin - you truly are the level-headed one. Thanks for reminding us all to brush our teeth.

So, after all those cookies and buttered rolls, three helpings of lasagna, who knows how many shots of Cuervo, and one chewed up pencil eraser, I somehow ended up passed-out between pootie and gryhnd and woke up with a bunch of green glitter in my hair. But the memories, ah the memories!

Cody - thank you for spurning what turned out to be a raging lost weekend for me. However, since you didn't show up I have this picture in my mind about you...

I think you could possibly be a 10 year old hacker genius that has led anyone who seriously tried the challenge to a killer virus, deleting all of their on-line dating photos, drunk e-mails, and Back Street Boys songs. Thank you.

chopstix
12-08-2012, 10:43 PM
oh, I meant spurring...

Anyhow, for those of you who lost your Back Street Boys songs, this is for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fndeDfaWCg

WineChick
12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I started reading one of the other topics, began to think this WAS a "hoity-toity" bunch of nyah-nyahs...then I found this one.

No offense, but maybe Cody was on to something....it did unify some posters (and brought one in who realized maybe not as many nyah-nyahs as I initially thought!)...

Sooo....is it too late to join the party? I love Jose, have an amazing margarita mix, and can even bring some vino!!!! :p

chopstix
12-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes WineChick

Cody did us a lovely favor by unwittingly providing us with one heck of a funny thread. I do hope that s/he was able to find some humor in it all and at least get a chuckle from it.

By all means, I could've used some margarita mix last night, so please bring some before night fall. Going by your name however, I'm gonna guess the vino would be a nice choice, maybe gryhnd will make a new batch of lasagna!

pootie49
12-09-2012, 12:07 AM
wakes up rubs eyes
gryhnd does thrash in her sleep
is that glitter in my teeth?
psst whos that in the middle?
i could have sworn i heard the bs boys last night
i thought it was a nightmare
i dont drink!
you guys are funny when you drink though
green glitter?

good job admin
im going back to bed
wake me when someone hits the
non executable congratulations page
ni night

ps can someone remind me what this thread was about?

pps keeping the hoity out of toity for 53 years tyvm.

chopstix
12-10-2012, 03:33 AM
Haha!

No need to worry pootie, I'm a grandma :)

fredsevent
12-26-2012, 08:40 AM
This thread was a lot of fun, yet we never quite got to the end of the treasure hunt. I see how admin got his suggestion of 4PmFu -c295 from the pastebin page. It's not very helpful to me, but surely it looks familiar to someone. I'm guessing it's a specialized form like the pastebin thing, but I fairly crippled when it comes many recent things - like I've never sent a text message - although that shouldn't matter as we're in internet (say what's this twitter thing I've heard about?).

locodad
12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
:):cool:Que pasa amigos? You guys are fighting over cypher puzzle? I think you are forgetting the most important thing about this discussion. We need to decide what time we are meeting at lily's house for breakfast,lunch or dinner. Since I am Mexican I am bringing some tacos, burritos, enchiladas, all homemade not that horrible stuff from Taco Smell (I meant Bell) I also would love to taste whatever you guys want to bring. I love cryptograms so I think we should have a competition to put our brains together and have some fun:)

jan301
12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
The first part - 4Pm looks like it might be a time signature, I do not know about the rest of it.

My question is why didn't we get our resident genius involved? I am talking of course of Bansai.

As to the party, I am sorry my invitation got lost in the mail. But, do keep me in mind for the next get-together. I'll get my husband to make his world famous keema and pulao; and he is hoping someone will bring a bottle of Lagavulin.

HNY 2013 to all our cohorts.

abra
01-25-2013, 05:55 AM
Aww, I missed all the fun. I blame it on hubby. He retired and now I never have much time. I'm only just finding this now. I would have loved this cyber slumber party. I would have brought sliders and a some white zinfandel.

I wouldn't have been much help solving the unsolvable, but it would have been so much fun to watch you all in action.

chopstix
01-28-2013, 06:34 AM
locodad, jan301, and abra -

the party continues... and it seems to keep getting better!

:D

gryhnd51
01-29-2013, 05:28 AM
Uh-oh...I must have had too many margharitas (or was it the wine?) :confused:
I forgot that we were still partying.

Hey Lily, I hope your Mom isn't sick of all of us yet!

maradnu
02-11-2013, 01:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/4PmFu.png

There are a small number of references to the various clues out on the net. But overall this is meant to be more of a scavenger hunt than a puzzle, per se.

Several references to parts of this on a hacknet forum that I don't have access to, with a reference to a puzzle C295. What I could see sent me to imgur.com/4PmFu which had an illustration of what appeared to be a blowfish inflated, with the caption "Remember what the dormouse said".

That in turn is a line from the song "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane, with the next line being "Feed your head".

From a Wikipedia discussion:
The last lines of the song are: "Remember what the Dormouse said.... Feed your head. Feed your head." They do not explicitly quote the Dormouse, as is often assumed."Remembering what the Dormouse said" probably refers to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Chapter XI: "Who Stole the Tarts", wherein a very nervous Mad Hatter is called to testify:

" 'But what did the Dormouse say?' one of the jury asked."
" 'That I can't remember', said the Hatter."

Seems fair to say that the poser of this challenge is trying to lead us down a rabbit hole.

maradnu
02-11-2013, 03:08 AM
Sorry I missed the party ;-)

Sounds like a blast, though I'd have gone for Stella Artois instead of Cuervo.

FWIW - the string of characters at the top of the image could be another clue, but could not find much of anything in search.

Lurker
02-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Stella Artois was an answer in today's L.A. Times crossword puzzle!

maradnu
02-11-2013, 05:17 AM
I'll drink to that.