PDA

View Full Version : I keep wondering about this..

abra
08-01-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm so intrigued by those of you who are so good at this. I was wondering, those of you who do this so effortlessly, does your talent manifest itself anywhere else in your life. Are there other things that you can do way better than anyone else?

What trait in your make up do you attribute your talent to?

I love cryptograms and I did them in the newspaper for years, before the internet. I always thought I was pretty good, but since being on this site, I'm humbled. There is absolutely no way I could get 100%, some of them would take me hours to solve.

So, I've become very curious about the masters here. I hope you'll answer if you can.

WidowMaker
08-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Hi abra, i used to move large objects, with a simple wave of my arms, that it would take 1000 men, working together, to pick up this object one inch off the ground, ohh if you only knew the power of the dark side- wm

Lily H
08-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Abra, I still do the cryptograms in the newspaper. However after playing on this site, I am spoiled by not having the letters filled in automaticallly for me. You will get faster with time. I played for 3 years before I finally made it into the top 20 in speed, just barely. Also, you will learn to recognize word patterns the more you play. I don't have any special skills, but I do read a lot and do crossword puzzles. I'm such a nerd.

pootie49
08-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I never did a cryptogram until I found this site, I did word puzzles, crosswords, mostly in the paper and books. But always skipped cryptos cause they looked so darned hard.

Then I found this site, and beats the heck out of me how I do it? LOL

Really Its a talent I never knew I had I think its a talent, Im not sure.

I dont have any other talents whatsoever except I can recall numbers easily.
Which I believe is pattern recognition so there must be a part of my brain thats not been destroyed by illicit drugs that still works pretty well.

I dont find it easy. Its not easy. Not for me. But it just felt really natural to sit here and solve.
And I asked a lot of questions and absorbed and played a ton and well thats it really.
Wait no a bit more...re the hundred percent. Yep Im a perfectionist.
Drives me round the loop not to do them all.
K now Im done.

Widowmaker is fibbing you know.

Oh wait I can walk and chew gum at the same time is that a talent, for a blonde I hear it is?
lol

abra
08-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you all, I thought there might be some other area where you all excelled. I couldn't imagine what that might be. I thought maybe language or math or something.

WidowMaker, I never would have dreamed ;) , Were your parents involved in CIA experiments, during their college years? Could have used you around here this weekend. We were cleaning carpets, and there was a lot of furniture to be moved.

LiveLoveLaugh
08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Is a musician and and super fast typist.

abra
08-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah, he must type at light speed, but the music part of it, is probably more along the line I was thinking of.

But what about you LLL?

WidowMaker
08-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi abra, the music trait passed me over, straight to my kids, i have two boys and two girls, the three oldest played in their high school marching band while my youngest girl plays the violin. i speak, read, and write several languages, and if i had stayed in school, who knows what i might have grown up to be??

abra
08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, WidowMaker, it sounds like there was something there that was untapped. A facility for languages is the kind of thing I was thinking of. Something that sets you people apart from ordinary beings.

That ability to move great objects would be nice to have though:D .

Lurker
08-02-2011, 01:51 AM
All kinds of puzzles work different parts of your brain. Some are word-based and deal with language and definition skills, like crosswords. Others, like Sudoku and logic puzzles, are mostly about ruling out impossibilities. Ken-ken is math-based. DropQuotes, cryptos, and anacrostics are largely pattern recognition and language construction. (Anacrostics include x-word skills.) And Solitaire is great for planning ahead.

You should try a variety of puzzles, to see which taps that special part of your brain that's waiting to get out.

And you're not that slow, Abra. Some of us only go fast because there's a competition for it. It never occurred to me to do these quickly until the Puzzle Baron started keeping track. Same with 100%. I didn't start doing it every month for a long time. And some months, I don't, just to see how I do under no-pressure conditions.

abra
08-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks everyone for answering. I guess there's nothing definitive that you all share besides your excellence with the cryptograms.

I figured you could at least see through walls, change traffic lights or leap tall buildings.

pootie49
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Well I can do that I just thought everyone could?;)

pajarito7
08-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I attribute my success at cryptograms to my skill at pattern recognition, which obviously comes from having raised five kids, and several neighborhood urchins (who would never go home for dinner) as well. You become very adept while watching the kids play outside, at recognizing "good" patterns and patterns that require you to run outside with a bullhorn and the garden hose.;)

bansaisequoia
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
bansaisequoia can simultaneously flip two large oval restaurant trays, one in his left hand, and one in his right, and he can even do it blindfolded.

http://www.traditionalbank.com/new_auction/Picture%20039.jpg

(He was also given a Power Ring by the Guardians of Oa to safeguard Space Sector 2814)

LiveLoveLaugh
08-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Abra,

My talent is that I can say the alphabet backwards and been doing so since I was four.

LLL ;) ;) ;)

abra
08-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Well, now the real talents are beginning to show up. :D

I guess the pattern recognition must be more highly developed in those who extremely well here. I think mine is as developed as it's going to get.

I'm here because I love cryptograms and I'm hoping it will keep my brain from atrophying ;) .

That power ring must be pretty cool though.

LLL, I am ipressed that you could do that at age 4.

Lurker
08-03-2011, 05:45 AM
My superpower is an internal GPS. It isn't just that I don't get lost - ever - but I constantly see the world both at ground level and as if I was looking down from above. And I can home in on magnetic North within 10. I've been doing it at least since I was 7, so this isn't a learned behavior.

My slightly less superpower is that, like most Leftys, I can read backward, upside down, mirror image, etc.

momof7
08-03-2011, 05:53 AM
Hi!

I am also a lefty and I can read all the ways that you described.
I never knew that the two were linked.
I will have to check with my left handed hubby and my 2 left handed kids and my 2 lefty brothers-in-law and left handed sister-in-law.
I find this very interesting.

abra
08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Lurker the GPS thing is really interesting, as one who could get lost walking around the block, I find it really interesting.

I have never heard that about Lefties. My almost 6 year old grandson is a left handed, so I'm anxious to see, but he's not reading yet. He starts kindergarten this month.

debzhaus
08-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, the backward, upside-down, mirror reading may be something a lot of us have in common, as well as, I'd assume, rapid reading. Do any of you get in this awkward situation: you're at an opera or movie with subtitles, and you laugh instantly when a joke comes on the screen; then the rest of the room laughs a second or two later? It feels like showing off, but you either have to laugh quietly or not at all to avoid it.
P.S. Not a leftie! :)

abra
08-04-2011, 09:52 PM
My husband, son and I are all right handed. Yesterday we tried and saw that we could all read pretty quickly upside down, didn't check backwards, or mirror reading. I'm pretty sure that backward writing would be very slow for me.

I did some research on line after I read what Lurker and Momof7 apparently this is really common for lefties. I don't know how I got to be this old without knowing that.

Debzhaus, I've always been a rapid reader. I'm not much of an intellectual thoght so I probably won't be reading subtitles at an opera or foreign movie though ;) .

digirl28
08-05-2011, 05:37 AM
:o I, too, am left-handed. I am intrigued that so many of us are mirror readers! I learned how to mirror-write when I was in high school, not just print, but in cursive. I have always attributed my crypto abilities to my musical talents and love of mathematical patterns. Go figure!

BETHWHITE
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Is a musician and and super fast typist.

Ok, I may be banned for saying this, but there's something wrong here. I'm a super fast typist and a pretty good game player. Now I know my browser is slow so I'll never be tops here, but 9 seconds, 11 seconds consistently? There's something wrong.

There's a Sudoku game I play where I can write down the puzzle, work it out at my leisure, and then go back, type in the puzzle number, and type out my previously worked-out answers. And guess what, I'd be in the Top 1 Percent of players at under 2 minutes or so

I don't advocate this, but the reason I first tried it out in the first place is, when I did the puzzle honestly, I'd always end up at the rear end of the timed players.

Just saying.....

Even if I had a God-given ability to stare at a puzzle and immediately come up with a solution in 1 or 2 seconds, then type the answer in 8 or 9 seconds without fail of a typo or any other thing, then hit "check it" and have my browser relate that info - in 9 or 11 seconds consistently?

Just saying.

pootie49
10-09-2011, 08:45 PM
First off, what are you "just saying?" Lets not beat around the bush here.
IF IF you are saying that Bansai cheats, well I can tell you that on a really good day
I can play at least 200 puzzles or more. Out of those by checking my recent games list
100 - 125 of them are under fifteen seconds, about 25-30 in the twenties and the others varying times mostly higher.

Altoid, has the ability to solve at the same rate as Bansai does, as do Debzhaus, Lurker, Ferryman, although they do not play as much as Bansai does.

So if you are saying that those of us who can solve on a consistent basis under fifteen seconds "cheat (just saying") well I can tell you I dont. And I would bet my life on none of the aforementioned players are cheating as well.
See if you play enough, like I used to and Bansai has for years, you simply begin to recognize the authors, the quotes themselves, the patterns.
If you want a reality check here, when the last batch of new quotes were added Bansai wasnt solving at a high rate lol he was just as stuck as we were, those of us who played for a hundred percent will be slower. He doesnt... he picks and chooses his puzzles. He is a freak in the best sense of the word and if people stop dissing the guy and start complimenting him instead well (violins play) what a world this would be huh?

Now that was based of course on the premise that "just saying" translates to he cheats.
If you would like to enlighten us further on "just saying", please do let us know. Also, you have, according to your profile solved 215 games it might be higher, the profiles are slow to update, therefore after only 215 puzzles, it really seems hard to believe doesnt it.
Now play 300,000 games and then come back and let us know, please.
K??
Thanks

PS: Oh yes and also he uses a Mac...and probably either Opera with Turbo or Safari.
Wayyyyyy faster than Firefox IE and Chrome. Wayyyy faster.
And he types fast and is a musician.

bansaisequoia
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
No one can run a four-minute mile. I'm positive this is true, because I have never been able to run a mile in under 6 minutes. Roger Bannister is a fraud.

Just saying.....

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01370/roger_bannister2_1370637c.jpg

No one has ever walked on the moon. I'm certain this is just a hoax because if I can't fly to the moon, no one else can. Neil Armstrong is a fraud.

Just saying.....

http://gtm.s3.amazonaws.com/t/15742/m/mffb7b5b2a7cd8a44d7e9b8424d08625816d5225d.jpg

There's no such thing as a talk show host. I have never been one, so, in all likelihood, no one else has. Also, reliable sources say that Stephen Colbert is not a very fast online Sudoku solver. There you have it.

Just saying.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jl08Pk11RNI/TK9wQ8CCimI/AAAAAAAABLE/rMK_XDI3m34/s1600/TruthinessColbert.jpg

pevans01
10-10-2011, 06:17 AM
OMG!!!

I knew she loved you like a brother Joseph but I wouldn't want to be on her bad side!!! Until just recently I thought you were a woman (for no apparent reason) until she said she loved you like a little brother. Also, pootie is right...you are awesome...I've admired your ability from afar for a long time. From a hunt and peck (me) to the magic fingers...Giuseppe la salute!!!

Lurker
10-10-2011, 06:19 AM
Well said, Bansai. And remind me not to get on Pootie's bad side.

I'm also on a Safari-running MacBook. I'm told that automatically chops off two or three seconds from your average, all things being equal.

Even though it's comparing apples & oranges, Beth, I do sudoku online, too. I work them in the paper, then input it online to make sure I was right. Honestly, it takes you 2 minutes to type in the numbers? Reading off the paper? We're not talking touch-typing. The numbers are in a row at the top of the keyboard.

Just sayin'...

yzarc
10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
rafa morf uoy derimda evah osla i ,iasnab og ot yaw ,retsaf si iasnab sala tub ,sevlos dnoces 51 lareves nettog evah i ,evlos dnoces 9 a teg em tel t'now sitirhtra ym dna (regnif eno)gnipyt ym dab oot ,ti ta gnikool yb tsuj elzzup a evlos nac i sey s.p

crazy .selzzup fo tol a evlos ,nuf evah neht llit ,iasnab ot ezigolopa dna gnorw erew uoy taht ezilaer lliw uoy yllautneve dna teem reve lliw uoy elpoep tsetaerg eht fo emos era yeht taht ezilaer lliw uoy dna ereh srebmem eht wonk ot teg ,etihWhteB ,esaelp ,etis siht tuoba evol i sgniht eht fo eno si taht ,tuo rehto hcae pleh osla ew tub ,rehto hcae tsniaga etepmoc ew ,srebmem rehto pleh ot htiw elbuort dah uoy taht etouq a tsop lliw oot uoy yad eno ,gnillup riah dna gnissuc eht diova srehto pleh ot ,gnivlos emit drah a dah yeht taht setouq detsop evah srebmem emos .detimil emit gniyalp ym dna ,esrow gnitteg ylno si sitirhtra ym ,retsaf yna teg reven lliw eno rof ,i .elzzup eht evlos uoy pleh yletaidemmi lliw ti erehw rettel tsrif eht tup dna ykcul teg semitemos lliw uoy sey dna snrettap drow ,srohtua eht ezingocer ot trats lliw uoy ,emoceb lliw uoy retsaf eht yalp uoy erom eht .dedda erew selzzup wen nehw shtnom eht ,snoitpecxe wef a htiw ,htnom retfa htnom retsaf teg yeht taht eciton lliw uoy ,deeps rof snobbir ro seihport deviecer evah taht esoht ,moor yhport srebmem eht ni kool uoy fi .sevlesmeht dnefed ot ecnahc a srebmem eht gnivig ton ,elzzup a fo noitces stnemmoc eht ni yltsenoh gniyalp ton ro gnitaehc fo srebmem esucca tsuj elpoep tsom ,murof eht ni ti gnitsop rof uoy dualppa tsum i ,uoy gnihsarht srebmem eht fo daetsni trap dennab gnitteg eht rof gnihsiw era uoy won yb sseug i ,etihWhteB iH

Lurker
10-10-2011, 08:49 PM
LOL. You mean players have been using it to brush up on their typing skills? No wonder I'm having so much trouble staying in the top 10 in speed! Maybe I should start playing it.

pevans01
10-11-2011, 04:47 AM
For about 30 or more seconds, I tried to solve this like a regular puzzle on paper before I figured it out!!! Mama Mia!!!

Lily H
10-11-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't know why so many of you are making comments that you wouldn't want to get on Pootie's bad side. I know it was not her intent to do anything but defend Bansai against these new players who think he must be cheating because he has such fast solve times. I thought she showed great restraint in her response. She was neither mean nor rude, just honest. I am sick and tired of these new people who come on and play a couple hundred puzzles with slow solve times and immediately assume that the players with fast times are cheating somehow. What they may not realize is that many of these players who do have fast solve times have been playing for a really long time, years even. I don't by any means consider myself in the same league as Bansai, Lurker, Altoid, or any of the others with fast times, but I do know I have improved my own time considerably since I started playing on this site. My average solve time was probably in the 100+ second range in the beginning, and that was three years ago. It really takes a lot of practice, and you develop the ability to recognize word patterns, as well as what a quote by a specific person might be. Also, you get a second chance as puzzles will come up more than once in the rotation. I have arthritis and am not a fast typist, but even I have on occasion beaten a record held by Bansai, and I can assure you that I don't use multiple computers or have a program that helps me solve faster. Just saying......

pevans01
10-11-2011, 07:50 AM
I can only speak for myself Lily and getting on Pootie's bad side was meant as a joke. I love how she flew to his defense...nothing more...nothing less :) Can someone explain to me what the wreath up in the right-hand corner under how many post I have signifies???

Lily H
10-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Pevans01, I don't know what the wreath signifies. I thought you put that there since nobody else has any decorations under the number of posts they've made. I was going to ask you how you did it. :)

pootie49
10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Pevans the symbol is an ICQ icon. Its an instant messaging icon, I believe.
Somewhere in your profile under instant messaging you might have typed some
information beside the ICQ. Just delete it if you dont use it.

pevans01
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks Pootie, I went into my settings to see if I could figure it out. We'll see if I did it right when I post this this.

pevans01
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Guess Not:confused:

Lily H
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Pevans01, I'm sorry you couldn't fix it. The color of the wreath does coordinate beautifully with your rose. We're renovating our kitchen, and as you can see, my mind has been focused on colors. LOL! :) I spoke too soon because I don't see the wreath anymore.

admin
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I've removed your ICQ username from your profile, so it shouldn't appear anymore.

- Stephen

MSunshine
10-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Guess Not:confused:

I wander around this site and enjoy the quotes, comments and now the biograpies. I never (seldom) know what my time is. I mostly play with hints. I'll never have time to be come a competitor. If I did have that much time on my hands, I'd do something else.

Before there were author bios included, I used to Google or Wikipedia the names to explore the person who said that idea.

I love Criptograms, my parents used to solve them in the Boston paper when I was little. Mom explained the crosswords when I was 5. My aunt Florence told me about the odd words that we don't use in regular speech. We called them crosword puzzle words.

Love & Peace

pevans01
10-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Thank you Stephen but what was it??? ROTFLOL @ you Lily!!! MSUNSHINE...I find cryptos easier than those crosswords. I still don't use those words and 5 years old was back in the 50's!!! NEVER mind Stephen...found what it was in my settings!!! Thanks again!!!

jan301
10-12-2011, 05:29 AM
@ Crazy - Well said!

btw, how long did it take you to type that? just curious - I think it would have taken me half a day :)

abra
10-12-2011, 09:06 AM
So, it would be possible to cheat if someone thought it was worth it to cheat? I just think those top 6 or 7 players have some sort of mutant brains :D that allow them to have these unbeliebable speeds. Which is the reason I posted in the first place. I have no doubts that you all CAN do it, I just am amzed and wonder how.

gryhnd51
10-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Although it appears that we ALL started playing in 2008, if you look at our stats.... that really isn't true! The truth is that the whole site completely crashed shortly before that time, and EVERYONE was set back to zero. However, MANY of us have been playing a lot longer than that....a fact that ADMIN can verify if you're doubtful. Which means that some players have been playing a LOT more YEARS than it would appear.

Also, as you will notice, my speed time has decreased by a LOT this month....'cause I'm trying like crazy to get to 100%.....it's really much faster to solve just the crypto's that come easily to you, and over time, it becomes easier to recognize the word cadences or the author, or both. That being said, it takes being almost obsessive about playing. Whether you play to compete with just yourself, or with the world, is up to you.

IF... there's a way to cheat, I sure wish someone would clue me in on how it's done! Nah, I don't really mean that.....what would be the fun of playing if it was just EASY????

You youngun's need to be as dedicated as Bansai if you wanna beat him, but that won't be easy! Heck, I've been trying for years, and every great once-in-a-while I manage to get it right faster, but that's a rarity.....and NOT why I play. It's fun when it happens, but I always know that my time won't stand forever.

You need to face the fact that Bansai is just a really smart guy who can "sequence" much faster than most of the world.....and keep on playing to have FUN

yzarc
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
crazy llits -setunim net tuoba em koot yllautca ti ,erugif og ,sdrawkcab gnipyt nehw neve em stceffa gnipyt regnif-eno dna sitirhtra ym tub ,ti epyt ot setunim fo elpuoc a ylno em koot ti yas dluoc i hsiw i ,uoy-knaht ,103naj ih

pootie49
10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
or you can just type the text and enter it into an online program that will flip the text backwards and even upside down, moving on....
Abra, I dont consider myself amongst the elite, those six or seven that consistently perform under thirty seconds.
I type one handed, with my non-dominant hand, my left hand with right hand on mouse.
My left hand hovers above the keyboard as I hit play I dont usually even set it on the 'home keys" and I just look, and find words I recognize instantly, usually the, or and, or but...from there its just a matter of typing the additional twenty odd letters ..remember we only have to type them once, and not all puzzles use all the letters of the alphabet.
Gryhnd is right some have been playing for years and years, Im approaching three years.
I was slow forever, until one day it just all made sense. I just recognized letter patterns I remembered the authors and I recalled some of the quotes themselves.
If there were a way to cheat believe me as I have stated before I would have found it.
And there is just no fun in cheating. Wheres the challenge.
So if you want a logical answer, those that use the tab/shift tab method and use two hands on the keyboard will solve faster, in my opinion, than those of us one-handing and mousing.
How do they/we do it? Practice, these quotes do appear often in rotation, they become known, recognizable. We have 26 letters max to enter and rarely do we use all of them.
I dont think that the really fast solvers are smarter per se, I think they have visual acuity and excellent eye hand coordination. Add to that as Lurker stated some use Mac's with much better browsers and for sure that will take a couple of seconds off.
Anyway thats sort of my practical theory on how the fasties do it.
And we all started slowly and our rate of progession is determinate on the amount we can play and our ability to process and retain information.
um what were we talking about? LOL
jk

to BETHWHITE...Yes its discouraging to struggle along and get thru a quote and see the same batch
of names or name appear as the record holder.
I understand that. I still grr from time to time when I think hey I just solved it really fast, hit enter hoping to see
the infamous plane only to find out my 8 or 7 seconds was eclipsed by someone else.
However when you play more and more, and suddenly you hit enter (again its faster than hitting check it) and congratulations you have set a new record and the plane shows up...thats a great feeling!!!!
Our records are displayed now, but before the site change it was a more private celebration,
or we would enter into the chatbox Hey I just got a record, yayyy.
I still feel that way each and every time that plane shows up. Im more chuffed however that my solve rate remains at a hundred percent.
But thats just me.
Instant gratification is the bane of the new world order. Anything worth having is worth working for.
Just keep playing and learning and reading and asking valid questions and you will get faster.
Please don't make accusations unless you have empirical data to support them... that just makes some of us oldies a bit miffed.
And you did post in the forum as opposed to some who just leave snarky little Bansai cheats comments in the comment section so I have to give you kudos for that.

I was a bit harsh I admit it in my response, but as you can see we are a close bunch, and yep I consider him my little annoying brick taking brother, but I would stand up just as loud for any of the players here if they were accused or besmirched.
That again is just me. I love this game.

pajarito7
10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff445/ksimon6/Solvetime.png

montyb
07-10-2012, 01:29 AM
If I may add some detail to that wonderful graph, please note how the raw times (jagged line) vary around the mean (smooth curve). As time goes on, this variation lessens as the subject gets more practice, which is exactly what is shown. This phenomena is not unique to Bansai. Anybody will show the same pattern given enough experience.

I will never set a record unless I get first crack at a brand new puzzle (Stephen?), but I privately celebrate if I come within 30 seconds of the record.
:D

maggiemouse
07-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Although it appears that we ALL started playing in 2008, if you look at our stats.... that really isn't true! The truth is that the whole site completely crashed shortly before that time, and EVERYONE was set back to zero. However, MANY of us have been playing a lot longer than that....a fact that ADMIN can verify if you're doubtful. Which means that some players have been playing a LOT more YEARS than it would appear.

Also, as you will notice, my speed time has decreased by a LOT this month....'cause I'm trying like crazy to get to 100%.....it's really much faster to solve just the crypto's that come easily to you, and over time, it becomes easier to recognize the word cadences or the author, or both. That being said, it takes being almost obsessive about playing. Whether you play to compete with just yourself, or with the world, is up to you.

IF... there's a way to cheat, I sure wish someone would clue me in on how it's done! Nah, I don't really mean that.....what would be the fun of playing if it was just EASY????

You youngun's need to be as dedicated as Bansai if you wanna beat him, but that won't be easy! Heck, I've been trying for years, and every great once-in-a-while I manage to get it right faster, but that's a rarity.....and NOT why I play. It's fun when it happens, but I always know that my time won't stand forever.

You need to face the fact that Bansai is just a really smart guy who can "sequence" much faster than most of the world.....and keep on playing to have FUN

maggiemouse adds: Bansaisequoia is also a speedy touch-typist. My hunt-and-peck typing method guarantees that I'll never EVER beat bansai, so I won't try. Having fun is enough.

gryhnd51
07-10-2012, 04:48 AM
What I should have said was that my time INCREASED by trying to get 100%. Sorry for the misinformation. I played for a really long time just doing the quotes that came easiest for me...until last Fall actually...when I got the "bug" to do better.

bansaisequoia
07-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Why would you want your time to increase???

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2469/3630191216_315b7c9789.jpg

fredsevent
07-11-2012, 05:38 AM
Why would you want your time to increase???

I don't care so much one way or the other, but the ladies seem to approve.

iltquilt
07-11-2012, 05:53 AM
Fred, that was hilarious! So true, but still funny.:D

pootie49
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM
L M A O ...wtg fred

abra
07-11-2012, 11:43 PM
When I first came here, I thought there HAD to be a trick, something, someway that people could be that fast. After a week or so, it dawns on you that there is no trick (except for that one unfortunate incident ;) ) . These people are REALLY just that fast. That's the whole reason I posted this topic way back when.

If I remember correctly, even in that one case, the person wasn't as fast as the top scorers.

Beth, I don't think that there's a way to cheat, how could there be? Why would anyone want to? We're just surrounded by very clever and gifted people. I sit at their feet in awe.

maggiemouse
07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Pootie: Why are you called "Chief Complainer"?

or you can just type the text and enter it into an online program that will flip the text backwards and even upside down, moving on....
Abra, I dont consider myself amongst the elite, those six or seven that consistently perform under thirty seconds.
I type one handed, with my non-dominant hand, my left hand with right hand on mouse.
My left hand hovers above the keyboard as I hit play I dont usually even set it on the 'home keys" and I just look, and find words I recognize instantly, usually the, or and, or but...from there its just a matter of typing the additional twenty odd letters ..remember we only have to type them once, and not all puzzles use all the letters of the alphabet.
Gryhnd is right some have been playing for years and years, Im approaching three years.
I was slow forever, until one day it just all made sense. I just recognized letter patterns I remembered the authors and I recalled some of the quotes themselves.
If there were a way to cheat believe me as I have stated before I would have found it.
And there is just no fun in cheating. Wheres the challenge.
So if you want a logical answer, those that use the tab/shift tab method and use two hands on the keyboard will solve faster, in my opinion, than those of us one-handing and mousing.
How do they/we do it? Practice, these quotes do appear often in rotation, they become known, recognizable. We have 26 letters max to enter and rarely do we use all of them.
I dont think that the really fast solvers are smarter per se, I think they have visual acuity and excellent eye hand coordination. Add to that as Lurker stated some use Mac's with much better browsers and for sure that will take a couple of seconds off.
Anyway thats sort of my practical theory on how the fasties do it.
And we all started slowly and our rate of progession is determinate on the amount we can play and our ability to process and retain information.
um what were we talking about? LOL
jk

to BETHWHITE...Yes its discouraging to struggle along and get thru a quote and see the same batch
of names or name appear as the record holder.
I understand that. I still grr from time to time when I think hey I just solved it really fast, hit enter hoping to see
the infamous plane only to find out my 8 or 7 seconds was eclipsed by someone else.
However when you play more and more, and suddenly you hit enter (again its faster than hitting check it) and congratulations you have set a new record and the plane shows up...thats a great feeling!!!!
Our records are displayed now, but before the site change it was a more private celebration,
or we would enter into the chatbox Hey I just got a record, yayyy.
I still feel that way each and every time that plane shows up. Im more chuffed however that my solve rate remains at a hundred percent.
But thats just me.
Instant gratification is the bane of the new world order. Anything worth having is worth working for.
Just keep playing and learning and reading and asking valid questions and you will get faster.
Please don't make accusations unless you have empirical data to support them... that just makes some of us oldies a bit miffed.
And you did post in the forum as opposed to some who just leave snarky little Bansai cheats comments in the comment section so I have to give you kudos for that.

I was a bit harsh I admit it in my response, but as you can see we are a close bunch, and yep I consider him my little annoying brick taking brother, but I would stand up just as loud for any of the players here if they were accused or besmirched.
That again is just me. I love this game.

pootie49
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior Complainer

When you have premium membership you have the option of
changing your title from Member to anything you want.

I felt Senior Complainer to be most fitting.
And its just stuck.

Ps empirical evidence is provided in the quote you copied.

fishbum
09-03-2012, 11:32 PM
I am wondering howw awards are arrived at. For solve rate, is there a minimum number of success' required? I assume there must be or one could solve 10 'grams and then quit for the rest of the month. I made top 20 once with less than 100%. What is there that I don't understand?

Lurker
09-04-2012, 12:18 AM
It actually does say the requirements on the top of each competition page, but here goes.

The top 100 point-getters for each month are on the "monthly competitions" page for high-scoring. (Number of puzzles started or completed is irrelevant.)

For percentage, the top 50 of that get rearranged by best percentage solved, and ties are broken by higher number of points. Generally, the top 16 to 18 are 100% people, followed by a couple who are only missing a game or two.

For speed, that top 50 gets rearranged by average speed, minus anyone who has solved less than 75% of the puzzles they have started. There are usually about 45 people on that list by the end of the month.

Does that answer your question, fishbum?