PDA

View Full Version : Not Again

smoochie222
07-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Look who has over 100% success rate. Also school starts on Monday, I'm going back to work today, so everybody please slow down so I can stay up ;)

maradnu
07-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Two days ago, that person showed missing a puzzle.

Has that glitch that takes her over 100% effectively given her 100% that she did not deserve?

If so, that is not fair to everyone else.

Suzie
08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
When I logged out there was nothing unusual about my stats. If there was a problem I am sure that Stephen would have fixed it.

I certainly would not want to be credited for something that I did not earn.

smoochie222
08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
:p it is dmvjdcpa and I saw the same thing as maradnu.

Suzie
08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
I thought something had gone wrong with my stats as I put a post about a missing cryptogram the other day.

maradnu
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I e-mailed Stephen with screen prints showing dmvjdcpa had not completed a crypto more than eight hours after started.

I got no reply from Stephen, but the next day, she was back at 100%.

Her time had dropped - not increased - the next day, so she did not keep the puzzle open for 8+ hours and complete it later, and we know there is some glitch that gives her over 100% regularly.

Lacking evidence to the contrary, I do not believe she 'earned' her success rate award for July. The competition should be fair, and I'm not sure it is.

I know, I'm on a rant again. Forgive me everyone.

ferrym85
08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Interesting...

Why can't everyone just enjoy solving cryptograms? Why get so worked up over silly percentages? No one is winning anything here...

If you know you are doing well isn't that all that matters?

:D

maradnu
08-02-2008, 03:24 AM
Whatever.

If there are going to be 'competitions' as indeed there seem to be, then those competitions should be fair.

No one should get an unfair advantage, whether we get anything or not.

jmho

ferrym85
08-04-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm sorry you are so wrapped up in the competition aspect of this website.

If you are truly looking for an unbiased way to compete and wow others with your cryptogram skills I suggest you not leave it up to a website running a program that clearly has some glitches. Compete against people in an actual setting, not a website.

Lighten up and just enjoy the challenge! :)

maradnu
08-04-2008, 06:13 AM
So you are not as competitive as I am. There are differences in that from person to person, and if you are happy with your approach, then I am happy for you.

I am more competitive, and based on what I've seen, I am not alone on the site in that respect. As you have the right to be less competitive, I have the right to be more competitive.

If the site is holding competitions of any sort, then those should be fair. If I do not feel they are fair, I have the right to say so, and to complain. You may not care about any perceived unfairness, but I nonetheless have the right to express my opinions.

As to other sorts of competitions, that involves more expense than I choose to assume at this point, but I appreciate your mentioning it.

Happy cryptogramming.

ferrym85
08-04-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion and to want a fair competition. I just saw so many posts and threads about solving percentages and people getting all worked up about it. I thought it was a little ridiculous so I said something about it. Not a personal attack or anything... merely an observation.

Wouldn't life be more enjoyable if you didn't get all worried about something as silly as the competitions on the internet? I think so...

And I'm actually very competitive... no one will play Pictionary with me because I'm a total bitch about it, hahaha. :D :p

sammi
08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Thank you for trying to keep the point of this game in check. I am obsessed with this game and wish I could play it a lot more. I am very, very competitive and am constantly checking my scores, BUT, I want to have fun! I feel that sometimes it gets a bit out of hand with worrying about everyone else. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

smoochie222
08-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I find ferrym85's post very offensive. Just my opinion.

ferrym85
08-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Hahaha, then you have issues.

Just my opinion. :p

smoochie222
08-06-2008, 04:00 AM
I do have issues with rude opinionated people and with unfairness. You win!:p

ferrym85
08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Making observations and suggestions is far from rude.

Having opinions and expressing them isn't rude either.

For someone who is an educator you aren't terribly smart.

Run along now. :cool:

TONY BOY
08-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm chuckling....:cool:

ferrym85
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Haha, me too TONY BOY, me too! :D

smoochie222
08-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Rude rude rude rude rude

Obviously you don't care about success rate so you run along now, 81%er.

ferrym85
08-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Nope, just having fun with the challenge of the cryptograms! :-) ... this has been my point all along.

Some I can solve, others I can't... not really a big deal to me.

But I'm glad MY solving percentage is of concern to YOU. :rolleyes:

bansaisequoia
08-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Woah! I hope this doesn't erupt into a contentious posting. I'm pretty relaxed about scoring (though I wish it was 100% exact right on the money and perfectly flawless), but I'm nowhere near a solving percentage of 100.32%. Can't we all just get along and agree to disagree? (Ew, that sounded like something Tony Robbins or Dr Wayne W Dyer would say)

http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/270913946_ef:cool:a38ec3d8.jpg

:cool:

bansaisequoia
08-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Let's try that again

http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/270913946_efa38ec3d8.jpg

maradnu
08-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Nice to see you get your jollies pulling people's chains.

BTW - Your mother teach Chinese at Union College?

smoochie222
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
81%er is just a subtle way of saying not too terribly smart ;). Oh of course, just my opinion...

ferrym85
08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Haha, nope that isn't my mother who teaches at Union College... just a professor that happens to have the same name as I do. Pretty weird though considering Union College is in Schenectady which is next to where I live in Albany... I'm also a little weirded out that you Googled my name :p

And smoochie... like I said... I'm glad you are so concerned with my solving percentage. I couldn't care less about how many puzzles I've solved or haven't solved. There are bigger things in the world to be concerned about so I'm glad your life is empty enough to take the time to care about my 81% for me. I choose to do cryptograms for fun and the challenge of it. That was my whole point to begin with (don't be so concerned with scores and percentages... just have fun and enjoy the challenge) but you apparently missed it because you were too busy being offended for no reason.

So, I'll enjoy solving puzzles by challenging my brain to do them as quickly as possible and you can go ahead and continue to be obsessed with solving every puzzle you come across on this website that generates the same cryptograms over and over again... even if it does take you well over an entire minute to do so. Certainly no shame in that.

Enjoy your delusions of grandeur. :)

smoochie222
08-09-2008, 03:32 AM
You have your priorities I have mine. Your posting that I should think your way is offensive, your posting that I'm not too bright is offensive. I will continue to say what I think and feel. :)

cyclisted
08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh Hell, I guess I've got to add my two cents...

Of all the cryptogram sites that I've found, and there are quite a few out there, this is the only one that keeps score, and is therefore the only one suited to those of us who are competitive. If you're here for the pure joy of solving, that's fine, but to ridicule those who are using the site as it was intended makes no sense.

Ed

ferrym85
08-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Ah, but I wasn't ridiculing anyone.

All I did was make an observation that many people are very concerned with solving percentages and simply suggested to just enjoy the challenge. You can't expect 100% effectiveness on any program.

Why smoochie was offended by that, I'm still unsure. She decided to call me rude for expressing my opinions which I responded to with actual rudeness so perhaps she would understand the difference.

Some like the competition.
Some like the challenge of trying to solve word puzzles.
Suggesting one see the positive aspects of the other is not a terrorist act.

End of story. Case closed. Get over it. :rolleyes:

smoochie222
08-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Whatever floats your boat. :p

maradnu
08-12-2008, 02:47 AM
Just because the words 'silly' or 'ridiculous' were part of your descriptions of those of us who were unhappy about unfairness in the scoring doesn't mean that you were trying to put us down.:rolleyes:

"Guard your roving thoughts with a jealous care, for speech is but the dialer of thoughts, and every fool can plainly read in your words what is the hour of your thoughts. " — Alfred Lord Tennyson

ferrym85
08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, Maradnu, according to some people I was trying to put them down. I wasn't using the words "silly" or "ridiculous" in an attempt to sugar-coat anything because I didn't say anything that was meant to be terribly upsetting.

Too many sensitive people out there, I suppose. A little suggestion to lighten up and they get all riled up! ;) Sort of counterproductive, haha.

bansaisequoia
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
It's okay. We're not at the UN and we're not ambassadors or diplomats. The bombs won't start flying if someone disagrees with us. Anyway, I'm not gonna lose sleep over this.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png

smoochie222
08-13-2008, 04:16 PM
LOL Bansaisequoia I love the cartoon...

ferrym85
08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Hahaha, well I certainly hope no one was losing sleep over this! :p

TONY BOY
08-14-2008, 04:31 AM
I haven't been to bed for two years. But, I have corrected a lot of errors posted by a lot of idiots and numbskulls on various posts. Also corrected a lot of their stupid opinions. :mad: I am very tired. But I feel I have fought the good fight. It is a distasteful job. But someone has to do it. I am naming ferrym85 as my successor. :cool: I am going to bed now. :eek:

ferrym85
08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
No thanks, fella ;)
Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics... everyone's retarded regardless of the outcome :p

...now THAT was offensive! :rolleyes:

TONY BOY
08-15-2008, 01:45 AM
If ferrym85 won't take over for me, I will turn it over to ernests, who looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger, is an editor of Vogue magazine, and invented the hovercraft, among many other things. This should qualify him as being well prepared to hunt down idiots on the 'net and put them in their place. :cool:

maradnu
08-15-2008, 03:07 AM
I was tempted to comment on the above exchange - but that would have been offensive.

Enjoy your crytogramming.