PDA

View Full Version : "GUEST" high scores

gryhnd51
03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Hey there, Admin,

Am I mistaken, or did you (once upon a time.......... long ago) say that you were going to eliminate our guests' ability to be high scorer on a solved cryptogram? Did I just dream this?

does anyone else remember the BOSS (sorry, Bruce) saying that in an earlier thread?

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is ISN'T Bansai or his alter-ego Bonsai!!! :p

LiveLoveLaugh
03-09-2010, 10:41 AM
I recall the same information. :p

Hey there, Admin,

Am I mistaken, or did you (once upon a time.......... long ago) say that you were going to eliminate our guests' ability to be high scorer on a solved cryptogram? Did I just dream this?

does anyone else remember the BOSS (sorry, Bruce) saying that in an earlier thread?

I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is ISN'T Bansai or his alter-ego Bonsai!!! :p

Lurker
03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Not only that, but Guests can use hints, giving them a several second advantage.

When I play offline to warm up, I have to solve slowly and sit around after I'm done, to make sure I don't set a record. Even then, sometimes I get in one second faster than the record. It isn't fair to the person who set it for real.

If Guests don't compete, why should they be able to set records? I see no problem with displaying their time for them to see, just don't save it.

bansaisequoia
03-10-2010, 03:04 AM
I personally like being able to identify my co-solver who bested me......particularly if is [sic] ISN'T Lurker, or her alter-ego LurkerSmurf.

gryhnd51
03-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the input.....good to know that others remember also! I'm hoping that Admin will pipe in with some perspective on this issue.

On another note......if you're not busy later in the spring, will you come to NH Bansai and give me some computer-use basics? I've tried "renting" some of the neighborhood kids, but they're always busy playing with their electronic gizmos!!:D

gryhnd51
03-11-2010, 09:11 AM
the "come to nh" bit was just teasing.....I'm jealous of bansai's wonderful and colorful use of what the net provides. For me, it's just a basic tool. When I retire I plan to learn much more about applying it.:D

Altoid701
04-03-2010, 05:28 PM
If I recall correctly, what admin said was that guests would no longer be able to create record times, but the previously-held guest record times would remain until a registered user beat them. So perhaps for the ones y'all are seeing the records were previously held and no one else has beat them yet.

Lurker
04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Sorry, Altoid. I accidently set one last week as a guest, so that hasn't been put into place yet. Maybe once this new batch goes competitive.

koru999
05-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Hello...No one's eliminated a Guest's ability to be High Scorer yet...I just did it again. I set another record. It was by accident, but it was fun. :D

It was for this quote: "In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he him."
— Jethro Tull

I'm just saying. :cool:

whollycow
06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Hey there, Admin,

Sorry Guys.
I am one of those guests who occassionally get high scores. I'm just an old phart, pushing 3/4 of a century, who comes on here just to keep the brain cells working. I know that I am not smart enough to solve these things without help, or it would take me more time than my frustration level allows without getting the vowels in place. I actually feel bad when the high score thingy shows up, but then I know that some else is going to score an unbelievable score as soon as they get the chance to run the puzzle. At the same time, I really, as a former auditor/analyst, can't believe some of the scores that show up. I have theories as how it is done, but, again my frustration level forbids me from deriving the proof.
I'll just leave things as they are. Thanks for the challanges.

LiveLoveLaugh
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
The inference is that someone is cheating/using some kind of program. I don't think that's the case, mainly because I have had several six second solves and even one fiver. All of course were ties. I wish people would just get over it and accept the fact that a real live human is capable. :eek:

Lurker
06-24-2010, 03:34 AM
A big part of being able to solve quickly is excellent typing skills. One mistake, and it could take several seconds just to fix it. A fast typist can easily do one in record time, even if they don't solve it at first glance.

Angie
06-24-2010, 06:52 PM
The inference is that someone is cheating/using some kind of program.

LLL - I'm not sure i understand what you are saying. i think anyone can cheat whether they are playing as a guest or a competitor. the only thing a guest can do is use the 'hints', which, of course, makes it unfair for them to be able to set records. i could be wrong tho...

LiveLoveLaugh
06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
The guy was implying that the really fast solves are because someone is cheating or using a program. Do you think people are cheating at this and getting fast solves? I don't. I think people are amazing. I do not cheat and I have some really fast solves. I also have some records for the slowest solves in the history of the game. BTW how can people cheat at this and get fast solves, let me know, I can use all the help I can get.

Angie
06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
OK i think i got it....i think i know how this thread got so convoluted! or at least why i'm so confused. some people are talking about speed and some are talking about records. it's true, there is no way to get a fast time if you need to go to your book of poems by Dylan Thomas ... or flip through a dictionary ... or whatever your reference of choice is. heck, even hitting the hint button eats up seconds. so i'm not sure that speed is necessarily the issue. and i'm not sure that 'record time' is the entire issue either. the other day i set a record time with a 142 second solve time. (the dictionary was in the other room! ha!) that was probably broken before i said "Hey honey, guess what I just did!?!"

For me it's just a case of wanting to know who i am competing with. someone comes along ... plays a couple games ... and then off he goes. geez, leave a $20 on the dresser and its just like college! (ha ! just kidding!)

LiveLoveLaugh
06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
are set with speed so for me they are synonymous ;)

koru999
06-25-2010, 07:43 AM
BTW how can people cheat at this and get fast solves, let me know, I can use all the help I can get.

I wondered aloud about some of the very, very brief scoring times. My son said he figures if anyone's cheating they're using some kind of program.

One hopes, of course, that no one would actually be so lame as to be driven to such lengths just to get a little attention. :eek:

Lurker
06-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Yes, people "cheat" by using various reference sources and crypto solving programs, but that will NEVER produce a fast time. The most efficient cross-referencing program on Earth is the human brain. If you see an absurdly fast time (10 sec or less), I can guarantee that the result came out of the player's mind and fingertips. The record Guest scores that are still in the system are mainly from people who had the vowel head start, and no one has been able to duplicate that speed without the nudge.

koru999
07-30-2010, 05:13 AM
I can believe that fast typing helps. Me, I type like I'm using my toes. :p

Claireanne
09-06-2010, 05:48 AM
I dont see how. You cant copy a puzzle because I am certain admin has set up codes to prevent that, and copying would be the only way to cheat... copy and paste to a solver of some sort? There is no way I can see how that could happen.

No, I think people are just really fast typists, and have amazing pattern recognition abilities. Possibly excellent memories to authors names as well. I do agree however, that guests should be allowed to see their record times, I played for months and set a few, I did not know they affected the actual competition for registered members until joining. I also think guest scores should not be counted in the record times.

Thank you for letting me speak on this.

Be well all.

TDog
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I dont see how. You cant copy a puzzle because I am certain admin has set up codes to prevent that, and copying would be the only way to cheat... copy and paste to a solver of some sort? There is no way I can see how that could happen.

Greetings,

Forgive me for intervening, but I recently wrote a cryptogram solving program for a client. I also wrote a temporary module (FOR TESTING ONLY) that 'scraped' the cryptogram displayed here, and sent that to my program, which then sent back the results and 'typed' them back into the form. My program is currently only 39% accurate, but is very fast (1-2 seconds when solved) (add 5+ seconds for lag & to type back the results).

NOW, as I said in my greeting message...
I only used this site for testing purposes of my program, and I asked the admin to delete ALL results from my account from the database. I hope that it will be easy for him/her to do this. Once again, my apologies to all those that are offended by my actions. I registered before testing so that my results could be easily removed (hopefully!). The cryptogram.org testing module will be removed before handing the program to my client, so that it can't be used here again!!!!

My sincere apologies,
-TDog

claireann
09-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Plan on removing it soon? Whether its a "Test" module or not, you are affecting peoples scores, and this mod you have must be hitting the server fairly hard, causing slow downs on the site.

And ask first. Would have been the politest way to do things, taking into consideration what you are doing is dicey at best.

If your bot is scraping the database, you are affecting the players currently on line. Alot of us could not play due to delay and lag time.

I am not administration, but if I were them, I would locate your addy, and block you. And I doubt admin will be able to remove your scores.

So, as nice as you appear to be, you really did a number on players competing. And couching it under the guise of do it and then ask for forgiveness is the immature way to deal with it.

Excuse me I am angry. :mad:

TDog
09-16-2010, 04:48 AM
The module was removed yesterday, and CAN NOT/WILL NOT be used here again.

Regarding lag, my tool was not responsible. I tested my program for a few hours 2-3 days ago. It was manually clicked each time it solved a puzzle, with at least 30 seconds in between puzzles. Typically about 3-5 minutes while I analyzed the results.

I understand your anger, and once again, apologize to all of you for testing this tool here. If the admin knows anything about databases, my results can easily be removed. I registered and 'played' while logged in to make it easier to identify my results vs. having to filter out random guest results.

Yes, I realize I should have asked first, but I was under time constraints to finish this project. This is not an excuse, just the facts of my situation. Not that I will ever do this again here, but in the future, I will obtain permission prior to 'testing' any forthcoming program I may build.

-TDog

opallady
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I have been setting records with embarassingly long solve times for several days now. In each case the previous record holder is "Guest" with a solve time of 120 seconds, and the cryptograms have been ones I've solved before. Have any other cryptedians or cryptediennes experienced this?

admin
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
The "120 second guest" records is not a bug - they are games which held inappropriate record times, by players who were not playing within the rules. I was unable to determine the previous record holder for these quotes, so I arbitrarily set them to large record times which I knew would quickly be broken by registered users. In fact, most of them already have - there were about 750 in total.

So not a bug, and nothing to worry about - just enjoy the easy record-breaking while it lasts, before bansai et. al. get around to solving them again at 10 seconds or faster. :-)

opallady
09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you for clearing that up, admin.